You can get to the edge of the tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdogman

Bad Boy
Reaction score
Little time on the track and yes,. the FJR can get all the way to the edge of the tire, Jes Sayin, BTW Miller Motorsports Park ROCKS

P9160053.jpg

I got no more peg feelers. It was a day at the "ST-ART" Sport Touring Advanced Rider Training" put on by USBA (Utah Sport Bike Associacton" and the class was set up and formatted by none other than "Fast Freddie" who also I learned does 2-3 a month at the park. We were hosted by "Apex Track Days"

I got 8 - 30 minute sessions on the track. They cautioned me to easo off a little as the instructors following me said I was millimeters from my "engine casing" touching down. I think my pipes would have hit first but I had a freakin riot!!. I am now looking for a track bike. I am also gonna do Freddies school next year soonest!!

There was a suspension "Wizard" (as he is called at the track and held in very high regard) that set up my Penske and front end for 40 bucks about half way through the day. WHAT A DIFFERENCE it made and I got to ride it back to back on the track.............. WOW!!

I am gonna be sore. I did 283 miles on the track yesterday and burned 1.5 tanks of fuel............ Cannot wait till I can do it again!!

There will be picks later as they had a photodog there

P9160052.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got no more peg feelers. It was a day at the "ST-ART" Sport Touring Advanced Rider Training" put on by USBA (Utah Sport Bike Associacton" and the class was set up and formatted by none other than "Fast Freddie" who also I learned does 2-3 a month at the park. We were hosted by "Apex Track Days"
I got 8 - 30 minute sessions on the track. They cautioned me to easo off a little as the instructors following me said I was millimeters from my "engine casing" touching down. I think my pipes would have hit first but I had a freakin riot!!. I am now looking for a track bike. I am also gonna do Freddies school next year soonest!!

There was a suspension "Wizard" (as he is called at the track and held in very high regard) that set up my Penske and front end for 40 bucks about half way through the day. WHAT A DIFFERENCE it made and I got to ride it back to back on the track.............. WOW!!

I am gonna be sore. I did 283 miles on the track yesterday and burned 1.5 tanks of fuel............ Cannot wait till I can do it again!!

There will be picks later as they had a photodog there

P9160052.jpg
Habit forming, isn't it?? The most fun I ever had were on track days.

Habit forming, isn't it?? The most fun I ever had were on track days.
Yep, I had so much fun I cannot even explain it. I WILL do it again and I am shopping for a track bike right now.

I am EXHAUSTED!!!!
I can get you a good deal on a 2005 MV Augusta F4 1000. It feels cramped for me, but there aren't many sexier track bikes in the world. That said, if you spill, the repair job would cost about the same as 3 R6's. :lol:

2003-mv-agusta-F4S-1-zoom.jpg

Wayyyy outta my budget for now! LMAO

I am looking for a used beginner bike so if I toss it down the track I dont feel to bad.

I lost the front end yesterday on the FJR practicing Trail Braking but managed to catch it before I took a low side (ass pucker did not even happen it was so fast)

Dont really like the idea of tossing my FJR down the track

I am lookin for a used Litre bike and there are several here ranging from 1700 bucks to you name it.

Wanna come play?? it is fun on this track!!

I have been tempted my several of my sportbike friends to go to Hallett in Oklahoma(CLICKY) , But i am a little worried about pushing the bike any harder than i do on the streets...

I might be persuaded to make the trip to Hallett if a few guys wanna go. :devil:

They taught me how to ride better, faster, and SAFER all at the same time. I am difinatly a better rider for it. Unless you crash, I can tell you the FJR could care less. It is a stout sumbitch. THey did not insist I go fast at all. They worked on Smooth... I would not hesitate to take mine out again, I just think a more purpose built bike would be even more fun there.

Go for it man, You will become addicted!!

ST-ART "Sport Touring Advanced Rider Training"

Now that sounds like a great deal. More info, please? Price, schedule, details! I live in southwest Montana six hours from Miller. I would definitely attend something like this if I knew in advance. Please keep your FJR brothers/sisters informed/alerted to these kinds of events. I've been to the Miller web site and saw nothing about this. You might even get a new member of the USBA (Utah Sport Bike Association). I did a track day (not too much instruction) at Firebird in Phoenix last March and am planning another there the first part of October. I can remember every turn. It may be just about the most fun I've had in 30 years of riding. Did it with my 21-year-old son on rented R-6s. Not cheap but worth every cent. And VERY addicting...but much less destructive than meth or smack with a better high to boot.

cDog,

I too live in Salt Lake, and have been interested in doing a track day. How does one go about getting signed up, and how much does it cost?

Jack

OK, Goto www.utahsba.com 300 bucks for all day incuding lunch

They do it about 2 times a year. Next one is next year. They do have an ART class tho and you can get your racer cert from that. It is 160 bucks but not on the main track. It is on the 1 mile long cart track

30 minutes of classroom 30 minutes of track, all day long

there was 1 instructor for each two students.

Started off slow, max 40mph

By the 5-6 session, Balls out EXCEPT on the straight, 40 MPH there all day long, who cares, the back straight was good and the cuvres had no speed limit

Cool. now that you are getting hooked on track. Do not worry spendign and arm and a leg on the rack bike. My friend bought a track ready 8 year old CBR for 2.5k used it for 2 seasons and then sold it for 2.3k. What do you care what it looks like. Once you get a real track bike it is not a question of if but rather when you put a battle marks on it.

I have been tempted my several of my sportbike friends to go to Hallett in Oklahoma(CLICKY) , But i am a little worried about pushing the bike any harder than i do on the streets...
I might be persuaded to make the trip to Hallett if a few guys wanna go. :devil:
Hallett is a highly HIGHLY technical track. Respect it while you're having fun.

I think miller is pretty technical too. Off camber decreasing radius and then the "Attitude" series blind downhill triple off cambers....... WHAT FUN!!

Yea, I am lookin at a cheap one. No need to toss a new one down the track...... Seen one for 1700 today... Not yet...... Not the right one. I am gonna buy used for sure....

Congrats on the fun on the track! :clapping:

Have you or are you adjusting the bikes suspension between track and street? If so, what changes [preload &/or number of clicks, etc.] are being made for each end?

I have a Penske triple clicker that I'll install later this fall [first big snow, also I'll send the front to GP or RaceTech for new springs and valves]. I see from your posts you also use that model. I'm more interested in the street setting but would like both if you don't mind the questions.

I took Lee Parks 1st class this year and had a blast. Next is a track day, but most of the local tracks require no glycol, wire stays and taped glass/plastic. Some have rentals, so I'll likely start there and then decide if to buy.

Thanks in advance.

Ride safe

Congrats on the fun on the track! :clapping:
Have you or are you adjusting the bikes suspension between track and street? If so, what changes [preload &/or number of clicks, etc.] are being made for each end?

I have a Penske triple clicker that I'll install later this fall [first big snow, also I'll send the front to GP or RaceTech for new springs and valves]. I see from your posts you also use that model. I'm more interested in the street setting but would like both if you don't mind the questions.

I took Lee Parks 1st class this year and had a blast. Next is a track day, but most of the local tracks require no glycol, wire stays and taped glass/plastic. Some have rentals, so I'll likely start there and then decide if to buy.

Thanks in advance.

Ride safe

I have not had the Triple Clicker for long. I can say it is night and day!!! from the stocker.

I had a tuner set my shocks (front too) at the track between rides. The only thing I will likely do is back off some front preload for the street.

Honestly now that he has played with it, I have no idea what my settings are at right now. It feel great but I have not counted the clicks.

One thing he did that I paid attention to was the front preload went ALL the way up and he reduced my dampening setting at both ends of the front.

He said GP Suspension (that is where I got the Triple Clicker) had it extremely close out of the gate. Minor tweak and they were good to go.

I am not sure what I am gonna do for my front end. I might get an Ohlins 20mm kit and have this guy build me a front set. He said he would and I was impressed with his abilities.

Sorry I cannot be of more help at this time.....

cDog,
I too live in Salt Lake, and have been interested in doing a track day. How does one go about getting signed up, and how much does it cost?

Jack
Cdog, sorry to thread hijack, even though my track day was on an FJR

Jack, I had to join NESBA (www.nesba.com) to get my track day at Road America (RA) Wisconsin. $75 a year for membership and then you pay the track fee for each day. The fee varies from track to track around the country. I think RA was $190 for the day. As I said before somewhere, NESBA track days are less school and more observed riding. They also just started these "special" selected days where the track is basically open all day - no sessions. They restrict the riders to one class only for that day - for example: they will have a beginners only day - no int. or advanced riders allowed on the track.

I, too, am starting my quest for a starter track bike now that they got me hooked.

Cdog, I assume you have seen these sites, mentioned over on the sportbike section:

https://forums.13x.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

https://www.superbikeplanet.com/classifieds...ory.jsp?catId=5

See ya on the track some day.

Oh yeah, I would bring the FJR back to the track some day, but preference would be to use the FJR to pull a trailer with a track bike on it! (hey, that would be cool!)

Little time on the track and yes,. the FJR can get all the way to the edge of the tire
In that tire, yes; it has a pretty flat profile. Is it a D220? The Z6 I have is much more 'triangular', meaning it takes more lean angle to get to the edge. You might get to the edge of that one too, but just wanted to point out the differences in profile. Mine is not to the edge after scraping pegs with my paltry 155# weight and stock suspension set up per SR and 'hard'. The problem is I don't know how much more you can lean it without hitting hard parts, and don't want to find out.

I thought the mufflers would touch right away after scraping, but you didn't mention what you have: stock or A/M? Didn't your centerstand touch WAY earlier than engine cases? And side stand on the left? You're definitely leaning that sucker MUCH more than we can on a stock bike; am sure your A/M suspension has A LOT to do with that.

I've been to Superbike school twice, and also love the track (none around here), but I don't have the desire to ride my FJR any harder than I do now on well known roads. But I'd love to be able to keep that pace on new roads if I had more safety margin, but I can't. Not a complaint since I have basically the same clearance now that I've had on my previous ST bikes. This bike handles the best, by the way. If I could only get rid of the surging, I'd be in motorcycle heaven indeed. Later.

JC