Zumo 665 Routes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blrfjr

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why my Zumo 665 will change my routes. Im sure there is a logical explaination.

I use MS steets and trip to make my routes and Easy GPS to send them to the zumo. Once on the Zumo the route gets changed for some unknown reason. For instance I intentionally route around major cities but the gps wants me to go through them <_< I have tried changing the setting from shortest dist. to fastest and visa-versa and it doesnt seem to matter. Its kinda pissin me off!! :clapping: WTF

It would be nice if MR Zumo would stop interjecting into my routes.

Class..........anyone?

This is actually a common problem, not with Mr Zumo only.

Even creating a route in MapQuest will get changed by the GPS. That's the Gps' job, to create a route. The only thing I've found is the freely available route creation thing from Garmin, it's called BaseCamp. If you search for that name in "titles only" you'll find some users here.

The drawback with BaseCamp is that it's no where near as easy to use as Google maps or Mapquest. Didn't find a way to just "drag a line" to change the route, although there may be one, but not obvious to me.

With BaseCamp it's easy to set up "way points", which keeps your GPS from rerouting you.

It's called an algorithm, which in this case is amount of preference your Garmin gives to taking main roads between any two waypoints you designated. Garmin is heavily weighted in that direction. The solution is to add more waypoints in your routing program on the secondary roads you want to use.

I have had very good luck creating routes in Mapsource and having the route show up exactly the same in the GPS. If you can set the GPS avoidances to avoid interstates, that will keep you off interstates, and tends to make a route follow your waypoints better, rather than constantly hopping onto the fastest road. Preview your route and add waypoints to force the route where you want it. It will eventually work. The problem is the software you are using is based on a completely different map set and routing algorithm than your GPS. Mapsource uses your City Navigator map and will transfer routes exactly as you planned them.

Just to clarify for those not aware. Tom mentions Mapsource, that's what BaseCamp was before it became BaseCamp.

It should not be confused with MapQuest, that's an online tool very similar to google maps.

I have had very good luck creating routes in Mapsource and having the route show up exactly the same in the GPS. If you can set the GPS avoidances to avoid interstates, that will keep you off interstates, and tends to make a route follow your waypoints better, rather than constantly hopping onto the fastest road. Preview your route and add waypoints to force the route where you want it. It will eventually work. The problem is the software you are using is based on a completely different map set and routing algorithm than your GPS. Mapsource uses your City Navigator map and will transfer routes exactly as you planned them.
+1. I use Mapsource to make my route and transfer them to my Zumo 550. Never a problem. Mapsource is a not as easy to use as some map/route products but I always get a faithful route to my Zumo.

I have tried creating routes in Google Maps because it is easier to use but after transferring them to the Zumo I found the results are not predictable.

I was not aware Basecamp replaced Mapsource. Good info. I may have to try it. I wonder if Basecamp allow you to drag the route around like Google Maps?

Last edited by a moderator:
Basecamp is not nearly as intuitive as Mapsource but it appears that Mapsource in no longer being supported by Garmin. I just got home from 7300 miles out west and used Basecamp to load routes into the my 665. You will want to go here to find out how to use it. https://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?action=forum Basecamp is still in Beta form and the latest version will be linked at that site. One caution about the 665. In motforcycle mode if you let the Zumo itself route you it will take you on the twistiest out of the way routs possible. Found this out the hard way in California nearly out of fuel on unpaved forest service roads in the middle of no where. The Zumo managed to turn what should have been a 2 hour segment into over 7 hours slogging through rock slides, wash outs, and rickety bridges.

In answer to the question immediately above Basecamp uses a method where you create a route with the starting point and the end point then modify it by pulling it like a rubber band to the places you want to go. I find it much easier to manage in auto mode than motorcycle mode because it has much more of a mind of it's own in motorcycle mode.

The 665 will recalc the route using start, finish, and waypoints from whatever it gets from S&T. It's a different map set, so it has to recalc. That's why using Mapsource or Basecamp works, because then the map on the PC is exactly the same map data.

Streets and Trips 2010 and up have a GPX export which was not present in earlier versions, which works better and making sure all your carefully crafted waypoints get exported as part of a GPX file that you load into your GPS. If you're using an older S&T which would require a utility to move data, maybe it's time to come up to date.

To repeat, with current Streets & Trips, you don't need a 3rd-party utility to move routes into your GPS, S&T can do a GPX export. Just make sure you get all the waypoints you want so the GPS is forced to calc the same route, because it will recalc it. It has to, with different map data.

Basecamp is not nearly as intuitive as Mapsource but it appears that Mapsource in no longer being supported by Garmin.
I didn't realize that Garmin is not updating or supporting Mapsource anymore. I'll have to get used to using Basecamp then.

What I have done the past couple of years is first layout my route exactly how I want it on Googlemaps. Once I'm happy with it I open up Garmin Mapsource and just recopy it manually in there and then I know there will be no issues once I sync it to my 660 device.

Mapsource is still a supported program, and available for free from the Garmin web site. It may not get any further incremental updates, like BaseCamp will, but to be honest it doesn't need any. It works fine the way it is. But, to use it you must have an unlocked version(s) of the City Navigator (or some other) maps.

People who say that Mapsource is difficult to use have just not played with it long enough. It is not particularly intuitive, so it is hard to learn how to use it, but once you master the program it is actually easier to use than trying to translate from some other 3rd party program. Been there, done all that.

I've noticed that the Garmin owners who have the most trouble with their GPS routes are those who try to transfer them as GPX files. When you do that, your GPS will always recalculate the route upon importing. The result may or may not be close to what you intended based on how many , and how accurate your waypoints are. When you create a route using Mapsource and the same maps version that is running on your GPS, the import program will not even do a recalculate on import. You'll see "CAlculating Route" flash up at 0% and then just go away a second later.

BaseCamp is not ready for prime-time yet IMO. It may eventually, and then will possibly become the preferred tool.

That part about the maps being different data is what throws people for a loop when they don't understand it.

I put a waypoint at this intersection, but the GPS ignores it!

Well, depending on the map set, the intersection may not even exist at that location in the GPS. It may exist but be in a location just enough different to not actually be an intersection. The lat/long of your point may not even be on the road in the other mapset.

Also realize, a waypoint doesn't force a turn. Sets of waypoints will encourage turns to be calculated.

...and, although we often use the terms interchangeably, technically the points that you use to shape a route are called "via points" in Garmin speak. Counter-intuitively, Garmin uses the term "Waypoint" for those points of interest (POI) that we have saves to our favorites. Those favorites can then be used as a Via Point or a destination when routing.

The term "waypoint" actually comes from nautical routing and is exactly what Garmin calls a via-point.

That should muddy the waters a bit. :p

I've noticed that the Garmin owners who have the most trouble with their GPS routes are those who try to transfer them as GPX files. When you do that, your GPS will always recalculate the route upon importing. The result may or may not be close to what you intended based on how many , and how accurate your waypoints are. When you create a route using Mapsource and the same maps version that is running on your GPS, the import program will not even do a recalculate on import.
+1

Also realize, a waypoint doesn't force a turn. Sets of waypoints will encourage turns to be calculated.
+1...and your GPS will always choose the most direct path from waypoint to waypoint...not the most scenic...unless you manually override that in a program like Mapsource to make sure your route is going down the exact roads that you want.

Yes indeedy. One of the more challenging places to make a GPS route is right down the Blue Ridge Parkway. You have to set a ton of via points or else the GPS will want to route you off onto a parallel numbered route that is much faster and also shorter distance, but won't give your camera or your tire sides as much of a workout. ;)

Sorry for startin this thread and going on a trip but you know how it is.

Any way thanks for all your input on this subject. I was glad to see it wasnt just me who gets frustrated with stuff. Sounds like I would be better off using the mapsource the came with my 665 to plan the routes even though I prefer the MSST.

Thanks again for your help :)