Zumo GPS Wiring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fz1don

Reaction score
Hey guy's & girls

I have used the search and I have seen the discussions, but I can't find it now. I am wanting to hard wire my Zumo and I know several of you have done this before and I would like to have some pointers. Currently I have it plugged into a lighter plug that is connected to my battery tender lead inside my tank bag. Not very secure and I get tired of having to undo everything when I leave the bike in public. Any help will be appreciated. (edit) I am mounting it on a gen one, at the left hand grip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Garmin has cable sets for the Zumos for direct conection to the bike's electrical system. The 550 takes a little bit different kit than the 660, but look on their site and find them under "Accessories" for the unit you have.

Garmin has cable sets for the Zumos for direct conection to the bike's electrical system. The 550 takes a little bit different kit than the 660, but look on their site and find them under "Accessories" for the unit you have.
+1 You'll be happy with the clutch mount position. I thought it would be temporary and I would switch it

to the center on the steering nut, but I am pleased with the fact you can see it easily without it shining

in your face all night on a ride. I was lucky... my 550 came with everything needed.

Think I got mine from GPSONSALE.com. ;)

When I got mine, I mounted using RAM mount on the left bar as you have...great location. I scored a power cord off of Amazon for $16.00 and it fit just fine.

I ran the power cord down the bars, on the left side and under (along-side) the tank (I have other wires going there that are in a shielded covering)

Connected it to my power strip located under the seat.

You screw the power cord into the cradle and leave everything together when you dismount/ just removing the gps only.

I don't use the security screw, I just remove the gps550--safer and easier.

Thanks, I have the wiring kit that came with the unit. What I am needing to know, is where to hook it up. Straight to the Battery? Some type of fuse block?

Thanks, I have the wiring kit that came with the unit. What I am needing to know, is where to hook it up. Straight to the Battery? Some type of fuse block?
I have my 550 wired into the lights so it is powered with the ignition switch.

I didn't want to wire my Zumo directly to the battery. I removed the panel next to the glove box and located the leads into the accessory plug in. I attached male- female connectors to both wires and then spliced the Zumo to the other end with male-female connectors for a plug in connection. I'm just back from a 1200 mile trip and everything worked fine.

When I first wired up my Zumo 550 a couple of years ago, I had it wired directly to the battery (since I wanted it to always be powered).

I splurged on a Fuzeblock FZ1 a while back and moved the power leads over there. (I mounted the FZ1 under the passenger seat.)

So, to the OP, I guess the first question is, do you want the GPS to always be powered, or only powered when the ignition is on? There is no right or wrong answer - just personal preference.

I added a switched power strip using the write-up on FJRTech:

Installing a 12v Power StripI have one barrier strip for hot, and a second one for ground, and they fit nicely under the front panels on a Gen I. All of my powered accessories - Zumo, radar detector, Datel voltmeter, etc. - connect to these power strips.

I also have a switched power strip in the front faring. From there I ran the power cord to the Zumo. In the area that the wire passes over the upper triple tree, I cut the Zumo power wire and installed male and female co-axial power connectors that I bought at the local Radio Shack store. This is my quick disconnect which allows me to remove the entire Zumo Cradle should I want to relocate it to another bike.

These:

male plug

female jack

Question for the ages:

Why is the "female" side of a connector named "jack"? :blink:

I've wired mine straigh to the battery on several different bikes. I have not had a problem with it yet.
Same here. Simple turn it off when your not using it. If you park overnight or going in somewhere take it off and put it in your pocket. To easy.

If you want to get fancy you can run a relay off the small blue wire for the heated grips near the left storage box. Then your GPS and any other accessories only works with the bike running, Not good if doing things where you want to see your gps when parked. It makes it almost imposable to have your accessories kill your battery from leaving anything on and less chance of fluctuation in power while starting the bike. I have one powerlet in front fused hot to the battery just in case but I have yet to use it. Autocom, I phone, Radar detector, GPS and 2 powerlets all switched to a fuse box. I only have the 2730 and used their wire kit in loom to a fuse box placed next to tool kit under the seat, easy to get to. Just one more similar option.