Zumo Time?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a 665 about a month ago. I love all the features that it offers. The bluetooth works great the MP3 works great and the maps seem to also be accurate. The only problem I have had is the satalite radio. I have not been able to get a clean clear signal. I have worked with Garmin to solve the problem. Downloads and the such has helped a bunch but still not getting the three signal bars. I have moved the puck fron the brake res. to the faring and back and still not a great signal. I belive this is a Garmin problem and will continue to work with them. I will say that Garmin customer service was great so far. Worked through each step and for about an hour to help solve the problem. I will give it a few more weeks to evaluate the radio before calling back. The next step is to repair the unit.

I got a Nuvi 1490T for $230 bucks Costco. It was one of the cheapest Garmins that allows you to build 10 routes in its memory, which is a must-have, in my opinion. It has a nice 5" screen and worked great on a long trip. A quart-sized baggie slips perfectly over it on my old Roady XM mount. Definitely put the unit to the vibration test, especially as my front tire scalloped big time toward the end of a 7K-miles trip!

It lacks an "audio out" jack, which is a really nice to have feature which allows wiring into an audio system. I have my "voice" set to a cute Australian girl named Kare, but I can't really hear her on the FJR.

Definitely changes the game for distant travel. It shares time with the wife-unit in her car, so if I upgrade to audio, will have a home for this one in the car. This Nuvi gets you into the GPS game at a relatively low price. Yessirrrr...step right up!

Last edited by a moderator:
i had a nuvi and bag on my FJR in the beginning then a street pilot 2730. on the new multistrada i have the 665. even with the extra spent i like the 665. if you can swing the price it is worth it. the weather feature will keep you out of a lot of shit. this is my first new style garmin and i like the new graphics and user interface a lot.

I bought a zumo 660 and so far I’m disappointed.

Negatives:

1. The mapping software for you home computer to plot your rides is cumbersome and difficult to use.

2. The Bluetooth link to my cell phone drops out randomly.

3. Downloading music you must convert to MP3 from the normal Ipod version.

4. To make a playlist work you must open as a text file and delete pathways.

5. The optional remote microphone is terrible .

I bought a zumo 660 and so far I’m disappointed. 3. Downloading music you must convert to MP3 from the normal Ipod version.
I found that funny. When I received my Iphone, I was annoyed because I had to convert all my MP3's to acc.

Most people would say MP3 is "normal", that Apple/Mac's AAC (advanced audio codec, or better known as APPLE audio codec) is/was designed to keep I-Tunes in business.

Anyway, back on point.

I listened to Bram's suggestion and bought a Nuvi 765 for approx $200. I belive it has all the the functions I wanted from the Zumo's including the ability to pair my phone and my BT helmet at the same time. Allows me to use Phone/Nav/tunes. Most Car Nav's will only pair to one BT device, so If your running BT headset your screwed. The other function the Zumo has, and I wanted it pre-planned routes, the 765 does that as well.

First sign of rain the GPS leaves the cradle and goes into the map pocket in the tankbag or gets a baggy. I can still hear and see it, just can't change settings.

Downside of the Nuvi or my Iphone. It will not respond to a gloved finger. So I snipped the tip off my left index finger of my summer glove.

I bought a zumo 660 and so far I’m disappointed. Negatives:

1. The mapping software for you home computer to plot your rides is cumbersome and difficult to use.

2. The Bluetooth link to my cell phone drops out randomly.

3. Downloading music you must convert to MP3 from the normal Ipod version.

4. To make a playlist work you must open as a text file and delete pathways.

5. The optional remote microphone is terrible .
I just upgraded from the Zumo 550 to 660 and am quite pleased. The first thing I did was to do a full update from the Garmin website and have had no problems.

Agreed that the Garmin mapping software has always been a little clunky but I guess you get used to it after a while. I paired it to both my iPhone and Sena SH10 headset with no problems. No problem with the MP3 conversion as I am with ScottyUSN on that one and had all my stuff in MP3 to begin with. If you have to delete pathways for playlists then you are doing it wrong. I have at least six playlists on mine and simply created them and they work fine. If you are trying to do it in Windows Media Player bloated piece of shit software that might be the problem. I downloaded Media Monkey (free) and use that to manage all my music. Haven't tried the remote mike so I can't comment.

Over the 550 I like the wider screen, the AD2P Bluetooth so that I can get stereo music in my headset, the "where am I feature?", the back track feature and the overall graphics are better IMO. There's a whole bunch of other little stuff too that I like better. I have loaded the FJR Assistance List and US Yamaha dealers as custom POIs. I just got back froma three day trip with it on the bike and it worked flawlessly.

A cheap (but feature rich) auto Nuvi in a waterproof RAM AquaBox works out really well for me. See the link in my sig line for more details if interested.

/edit/ If you use the foam that comes with it to mount the GPS inside, you will have all the vibration isolation you will ever need.

I "upgraded" (HA, yeah, right) my Zumo 550 to a Zumo 665...big mistake. I've done all available upgrades, and the 665 STILL turns itself off every 100 miles or so. Seems to get worse when toggling the weather screen and the music screen. I dont think the 665 was ready for release to the general public yet. Other than the random powering down, the unit seems to work well. Just dont count on getting your turn directions when it counts because the unit may decide at that moment to power down.

/snip/Downside of the Nuvi or my Iphone. It will not respond to a gloved finger. So I snipped the tip off my left index finger of my summer glove.
That's interesting, the touchscreen on my Nuvi 780 seems to work fine with gloves on, even with a screen protector applied AND through the Aquabox membrane (which is quite thick). I would have thought all the 700 series would have the same displays - maybe not.

I bought a Zumo 660 and love it. It seems to have a lot of little things that make it nice for motorcycles. But its a little bulky for using in the car so I thought I'd get another for the car and got a 265W. Going through the 265W's menu and functions I quickly realized how much more the Zumo has. I started with ver 3.5 and it was pretty buggy. But 3.9 has fixed alot of stuff. I've used it in pretty crazy weather both cold and wet and has never given me any problems. I do have a Scala Rider G4 and the connection to it has been a bit buggy. But judging by all the problems I've seen with the G4, I'd assume most of the problems are Scala's.

In my oppinion, the Zumo's are worth the extra cost. You get what you pay for.