Zumo Woes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the photos of my Zumo before I sent it to Garmin today... only 2 mos out of warranty.

Obviously it's no longer waterproof when the buttons come off. It looks to me like the same rubber rott that affected the mount connector cover in the early versions.

I was very lucky to find the button laying on the side of the road in nowhere South Dakota...

While this unit has been well used, it has not been abused and never dropped that I know of.

Zumo1.JPG

Zumo2.JPG

I'm hoping they swap it out given it's close proximity to the warranty period. I've considered replacing it with the 376c to get the real weather radar, but really use the Bluetooth and mp3 functionality.

-MD

Guess I'll add my experience. My first Zumo did the drop dead thing. They sent two new batteries. Replacing the battery got it started again. Died again. They replaced it with a new (?) unit. that was 6-8 months ago and no new problems.

The connector flap/cover straps went on 3 mounts (we had a mount on each bike). They sent new ones. the straps failed again. My wife repaired them using epoxy and some strapping material.

They also sent me some extra connector screws when the replacement mounts didn't have them.

All in all I've been happy with their response, and I like the unit. Too many issues, tho.

I think I'll just hang on to my ole' 276C.
Agreed... actually thinking the weather radar of the 376C sure would be nice... but I don't want to spend the money... sooooo, 276C it is!

Matt, sorry that you're experiencing problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man... You guys are saving me a lot of money. I was seriously considering pulling the trigger on a new Zumo 550 for bike use to supersede the Streetpilot C550 I am using right now. With all the problems everyone is having, I am reconsidering just keep using my auto GPS in a baggie until something better comes along.

Man... You guys are saving me a lot of money. I was seriously considering pulling the trigger on a new Zumo 550 for bike use to supersede the Streetpilot C550 I am using right now. With all the problems everyone is having, I am reconsidering just keep using my auto GPS in a baggie until something better comes along.

I couldn't agree with you more. The Zumo had been #1 on my list; however, as of late, it's fallen off the list.

Still not sure of which...

1) Nuvi 780

2) TomTom Rider 2

3) 276c???

Not necessarily in that order.

Hmm . . . I have the 760 with an MSN Direct receiver in my car - it's OK. Same maps as all Gamrins use, same routing algoritms. So don;t expect the world.

TomTom's mapping is second rate. They have some very nice features, but Garmin's mapping in better.

The 276 display is amazing, but it isn't cheap once you've figured in the car kit. Some people do not like the interface. I am not among them.

I have to admit also to wanting a zumo 550 for the mp3. But I just might keep the 478 I have with the xm. There sure are more issues than I realized.

:blink: Just got back from NAFO and my Zumo 550 started acting up on the way up. . The sound was going on then off, then started working fine for 2 days. On the way back from NAFO all hell started MP3 would not work and it wouldn't shut off ? it would go to batterie backup I would say no then it would do it again in 15 seconds . The off/On button would not work at all. It would not charge off the bike 12 volt system, the charger 120 volt system in the motel or the charger harness off the 12 volt system in the car ?. Will be contacting Garmin today 7-29-08.

Help.

Minuteman , Dan in Yucaipa Ca.

Hmm . . . I have the 760 with an MSN Direct receiver in my car - it's OK. Same maps as all Gamrins use, same routing algoritms. So don;t expect the world.
TomTom's mapping is second rate. They have some very nice features, but Garmin's mapping in better.

The 276 display is amazing, but it isn't cheap once you've figured in the car kit. Some people do not like the interface. I am not among them.

bramfrank,

Where's your review of the 276c?

My reasons for not going 276c:

1. I prefer touch screen and voice prompts. The 276c has neither.
  2. No built-in memory
  3. Maps are not pre-loaded
  4. money spent on marine abilities (will never use)
Reasons to consider the 276c:

1. higher resolution
  2. seemingly more dependable
  3. motorcycle ready (whatever that means)
  4. About the same price as a TomTom Rider 2
Reasons to consider the Nuvi 780

1. MSN Direct (weather)
  2. Bluetooth
  3. Preloaded maps (pretty standard now a days)
  4. Built in memory
  5. SD ready
  6. Voice Prompts & speaks street names
  7. MP3 Player
  8. Touch screen
  9. Audio line out
  10. It's a Garmin
Reasons not to buy the Nuvi 780

1. Not waterproof
  2. Poor PC map (unlike MS Street N Trips)
Reasons to consider the TomTom Rider 2 (TTR2)

1. Bluetooth
  2. Preloaded maps
  3. Speaks street names
  4. Map Sharing
  5. Price
  6. Scala BT headset
Reason not to consider the TTR2

1. Consumer complaints
  2. No MP3
  3. No audio line out (will need to buy Autocom (or like) BT dongle.
Based on my communication set-up I may go with the Nuvi 780 just to K.I.S.S.

Looking at your 'pro and con' list I am driven to make the following comments;

1. The 276 and it's cousins absolutely have voice prompts. Where did you get the idea that they didn't? What they don't have is TTS, so they don't pronounce street names.

2. The other three points you raised are essentially irrelevant - the 276 is what it is and with a 512 meg memory card you can load a significant portion of the United States.

3. MSN direct weather sucks. Want weather? Get a 376 and subscribe to the XM weather service.

4. That 'it's a Garmin' isn't a plus for the 780, any more than it ISN'T a plus for the 276.

4a. 276 has a line out - so what? All the Garmins you'll consider do.

5. Your 'con' for the 780 applies to the 276 also - they use the same mapping program (they use the same maps). I personally have no issues with Mapsource, though I do agree that S&T is 'prettier'. Then again Mapsource is now integrated with Google and S&T is not.

6. I use an iPod for my music. If I had a 376 it would be XM I guess.

The rest of it . . . just make your decision (by actually holding one of each in your hand and working with it), then put your money down on the table.

As to where my review is, all you had to do was: Click the link!

Bramfrank,

Cool beans!

Thanks for your insights. MSN Direct sounded like a nice idea, but I am not one to pay monthly fees for too many things other than Cable internet and BASIC Cable TV.

Also thanks for clarifying that the 276c does have voice prompts. I was comparing the 276c with several others (on Garmin's home page) and must have overlooked that ability.

The best part about buying from Circuit City is there extended warranty. Any time I want to swap the purchased unit towards another (within the 4 year period) they will give me full purchase price of the original towards buying any new unit from them. I paid $350 for a Garmin C330 3 years ago. That amount will now go towards any other unit they offer. With that, I may just buy one, any one, try it for a year or so then trade it in for another and play with it and add infinitum.

Thanks again for the responses.

I was going to pick up a Garmin Zumo 550 this week but I am waiting for the new models. I wanted it for my trip from southern CA to Canada but I am nto buying old tech. I am going to wait for their new models coming out in the 3rd QTR and I will install one them.

I was going to pick up a Garmin Zumo 550 this week but I am waiting for the new models. I wanted it for my trip from southern CA to Canada but I am nto buying old tech. I am going to wait for their new models coming out in the 3rd QTR and I will install one them.
I would not say that the Zumo is "old tech". It's not. What is old tech about it? It may be "low tech", meaning it is simplified (dumbed down?) to make it easy to use by the average wienie.

And there is no indication from Garmin that they have any new motorcycle specific model forthcoming. That was only rumor based on speculation by some folks after seeing that Best Buy is purging their stock of Zumos. It was just Best Buy that was discontinuing the Zumo, not Garmin. So you may be waiting a while for a "Zumo replacement".

I would buy a Zumo in a minute if it were not for all the complaints about reliability issues.

I wouldn't classify it as "old tech" yet either... But it is 2 years old now and that's a long time these days, and the Nuvi line (of which the Zumo is based) is rapidly changing.

Older units 2610's Quests, etc. had a life span of 3-5 years, a new unit is only a rumor but wouldn't be out of the question IMHO.

-MD

But the XM puck is treated seperately... $125 up front repair/replace at thier discretion. I can buy a new one for roughly $150. So I'm torn on this.
Slightly off-topic but...where can you buy the XM pucks that cheap? Nearest I could find were ~$195 delivered

You are talking about the GXM-30 right?

Thanks for all the info about the Zumo, it's good to hear real life experiences.

Edit : For those of you enjoyed my what was that? (20 posts in one) I hate our LAN weenies at work! :angry2:

They are running a filter which told me the word "puck" was not appropriate for our work place. :unsure:

I thought my post wouldn't go through but apparently it did (several times even... :rolleyes: )

Ebay if your friend...

There are also units that bundle the puck and folks who bought them that don't use them. I've purchased two from bundles in the past, both off this forum. Didn't have any issues activating them.

I just purchased my second one from this guy.

https://tinyurl.com/68h2m3

I've been wanting a Zumo 550 for awhile... are the rubber rot and audio issues perhaps mitigated if the bike is parked indoors overnight? Put a baggy over the mount during the day?

I use my bike for daily commuting and would like to be able to take calls via phone/bluetooth. I have an Autocomm. Actually, taking phone calls is a higher priority then the GPS (since I'm mostly commuting and know my way :) ). I really like the idea of a remoted phone display where I can quickly see who is calling, or pull over just long enough to dial into a conference call and then get back on the road...

Also, anyone with a Zumo and Autocomm - with the phone paired with the Zumo, and Zumo hardwired to the Autocomm, would I need the Autocomm bluetooth adapter?

Thanks for advice and thoughts?

I have a Pro-M1 on my bike and the Bluetooth dongle - doesn't work worth a damn . . . the transmit (I talk, they hear) is waaaay too low and the receive (they talk I listen) is blastingly loud. I put in a resistive divider to deal with the receive side, but there's nothing I can do about the transmit.

I went to the Autocom booth a Americade and we trued replacing the dongle and using my dongle on another system . . . they decided it was a problem with my phone.

But it ISN'T a problem with my phone because the Zumo, when in the automotive mount and my Nuvi 760 both have good transmit audio with that phone.

The next thing will be to hardwire the Zumo to the Autocom - they have a cable set for that. Ought to work fine.

However even without the ability to hold a conversation, having the information show up where I can see it is extremely useful. I can decide whether to pull over or keep going, depending on who is calling.

Now, if it only displayed invcoming text messages!!!