Zumo Woes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't speak to Auto-comm integration...

But my bike sits in a garage at night... During the day it is uncovered.

I take the zumo in with me at work so I don't think exposure rotted the Zumo... Can't explain the rubber rot on the mount, but it's a know issue. They used to ship new mounts, now only ship the covers. I generally cover the dang thing with a baggie at night when I travel, the two times I didn't and it rained I had issues the next day... I presume from water getting in past where the XM plugs in... You could see water in that jack when you unplugged it. After they dried out, things were fine.

My Zumo is at Garmin now, I hope they belly up and replace it (2 mos out of warranty), if not I'll live. I also have a new GXM30 to try when it comes back. If it works with the old one, I'll sell my spare :)

Regardless of the hassles, I still love the unit. Other than XM dieing on me it hasn't let me down on a trip. The day it does will be the last day it's on my bike. :D

-MD

(Admins: I think this is bike related, feel free to move if necessary)
OK,

So the short story is this... I've had my Zumo for 14 months, in that time I'm now on my 3rd motorcycle mount.

They last about oh, 4 to 5 months before the audio goes to shit. I've tried contact cleaners, dielectric grease, all the tips and what not to no avail.

To date Garmin hasn't charged me for a cradle. They fronted me two of them, the first all the rubber rotted off of it in less than a month (known issue) before the audio crapped out. The audio crapped out shortly there after. Unit two was replaced shortly thereafter.

Unit 3 was replaced immediately before my 2 week trip out west. I had to pre-pay for the mount, but they credited me back the $85 when the received the jacked up unit.

I installed the Zumo earlier this year, along with Starcom Digital. Almost immediately (days) I began having problems with intermittent audio output from the Zumo. Searched the Zumo forum and found it is a very, very common problem. Lots of bitching and moaning, lots of replaced cradles, contact cleaners, dielectrics, etc. But the answer for me was on one of the posts there. I put two very small squares of adhesive Velcro (only the fuzzy part) on the lower left and right sides of the cradle, such that the back of the Zumo presses against them. It is a bit harder to snap the cradle lock when installing the Zumo into the cradle, but it completely eliminated the problem immediately and permanently. I have not had a hint of a problem since doing this, nor has anyone else on the Zumo forum that tried this solution.

I have almost no complaints. I do wish the audio output was bit hotter. If I keep my Starcom at a suitable level for mic communications, the audio level is just a bit low from the Zumo. I added a small preamp and the jury is still out on that one. My other complaint is that the unit does not give the next turn instruction soon enough. It tells you the distance to the next turn, but does not tell you left or right and what road until you are very close. You can get the info by touching the screen, but it is a pain when there are many close together turns in a town or city. Overall, not too bad....

<snip>

I installed the Zumo earlier this year, along with Starcom Digital. Almost immediately (days) I began having problems with intermittent audio output from the Zumo. Searched the Zumo forum and found it is a very, very common problem. Lots of bitching and moaning, lots of replaced cradles, contact cleaners, dielectrics, etc. But the answer for me was on one of the posts there. I put two very small squares of adhesive Velcro (only the fuzzy part) on the lower left and right sides of the cradle, such that the back of the Zumo presses against them. It is a bit harder to snap the cradle lock when installing the Zumo into the cradle, but it completely eliminated the problem immediately and permanently. I have not had a hint of a problem since doing this, nor has anyone else on the Zumo forum that tried this solution.

<snip>
Can we get a photo of where this velcro goes? I'm having trouble visualizing it.

-MD

<snip>

<snip>
Can we get a photo of where this velcro goes? I'm having trouble visualizing it.

-MD

+1 on that!!

Wouldn't this push it out of cradle? I would think you would want more pressure down on top of the Zumo to get a better contact.

Thanks in advance!

Interestingly, I have not seen the 2820 mentioned. I am extremely happy with mine and have never experienced any of the problems you all are experiencing. So I am wondering why none of you are considering the 2820 as an option?

Interestingly, I have not seen the 2820 mentioned. I am extremely happy with mine and have never experienced any of the problems you all are experiencing. So I am wondering why none of you are considering the 2820 as an option?

Actually, I am. Considering all the problems people seem to be having with the Zumos, I'm thinking of buying a 2820.

I could use another Zumo, so one of you folks determined to bash yours, just make me a really good price.

:)

+1 to Scooter G I have not had any problem with my 2820 so far (jinxed?) I was concerned about the integrity of the main power suppy cable contacts at first but they have been fine. one complaint..the screen is getting smaller,or I'm getting older and need new spec's?

<snip>
I put two very small squares of adhesive Velcro (only the fuzzy part) on the lower left and right sides of the cradle, such that the back of the Zumo presses against them.

<snip>

-MD
Sorry, I disappeared for a week. Here is a pic from zumoforums.com...

clicky

Just two small pieces of Velcro did the job, in the area of the red squares on the pic. A little thick tape would probably work too, anything to apply pressure to the back side of the GPS unit. Too much makes it hard to snap the cradle closed, too little won't work. This completely cured my problem.

Actually, I am. Considering all the problems people seem to be having with the Zumos, I'm thinking of buying a 2820.
I just ordered a 2820; $388 at Comp-U-Plus.

Should have it by tomorrow, and will post a first review this weekend. I'm curious to see which software version will be pre-loaded.

+1 on what SkooterG and Jagermeister said about the StreetPilots. I bought a new 2730 off Amazon one because of price, under $300 and two, I don't use or need bluetooth. I use it everyday in my delivery van at work and on the bike when I go out of town. It has not missed a beat and I just updated to the 2009 mapping. This thing rocks. PM. <>< B)

I just ordered a 2820; $388 at Comp-U-Plus.

Should have it by tomorrow, and will post a first review this weekend. I'm curious to see which software version will be pre-loaded.
Please let me know how this goes.

If it's new and not gray market, it should allow you one free map update from Garmin. I'd wait a year or so as whatever comes on it is likely to be close enough. The operating software they let you update anytime for free.

Last edited by a moderator: