ZX-14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super d

Reaction score
I've had the ZX-14 for about 3 weeks now (2000 mi) and I love it! It's seems a little weak below 6000 RPM but when it hits you better be paying attention because it rips! It gets poor milage, about 34-36 MPG with a 5.8 gal tank, but it is comfortable to ride, looks great, handles great and flat HAULS ASS! If Kawasaki comes out with an ST based on the ZX I'd be VERY interested! :D

Are you a member of ZZRBikes.com yet? We've got quite a few 14 owners over there and several sub forums just for the 14.

That poor performance issue under 6K is tied to the secondary butterflies in the injection/manifold system.

Lots of people are pulling the secondaries and starting to remap the machine. They say it rips once you've done that - I honestly don;t see all THAT much to be excited about beyond the utter smoothness of the motor.

Head over to www.bikeland.org for an active ZX-14 forum where they don;t mind modifying machines that are still under warranty.

What color did you get?
Blue Zx-14....and it will melt the paint off my wifes 05 FJR.....and yours! I've read the ENDLESS forums about removing or not removing the secondary flys, and as of yet I have seen nothing dyno chart wise to make me want to do it.

When my Akro full system and PC III arrive Im going to dyno it with the flys and with out. I'll post the results on the ZX site. With an FJR and a ZX-14 how can you go wrong...you got it all!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Super d! You have a fine machine. I test rode one this week. Its motor/trani/suspension/brakes simply outclass the FJR. The ride/engine are so buttery smooth. It will make a fine ST mount with all the aftermarket parts now becoming available. The 14 may find a home in my garage *very* soon. P.S. I just sold my FJR.

I've read the ENDLESS forums about removing or not removing the secondary flys, and as of yet I have seen nothing dyno chart wise to make me want to do it.
Super D, check out this article if you haven’t already regarding removing the secondary flys. It should make a significant difference with removal. Clicky for Motorcycle USA. Notice on the first page, there are some torque/HP charts *in stock form showing "The Dip"*. Enjoy the new ride! :D

Local dealer here in Southern Oregon has a Blue ZX14 for sale at $11K. Says it has been sitting for weeks and nobody wants it. I liked the looks on the showroom floor MUCH better than the magazine pix. But when I sat on it it was too cramped for my 6'2"...... as a long tourer for me I don't think so. But if I got a second bike it would be on my short list. Just MHO. Good luck with your ride!

But when I sat on it it was too cramped for my 6'2"...... as a long tourer for me I don't think so.
….if need be, there usually is a solution regarding ergos on almost any bike and here’s one for the 14 (Not that I have been researching this bike or anything. LOL.):

Buell pegs: $40.00

Drops your feet 1 1/4 inches, that is one and one quarter inches. Which equates to a full 1/4 inch lower than a FJR1300. Personally, from my test ride, I am 6'.0" and it "fit me like a glove". It has been said that the 14 is ideal out-of-the-box for *most* people between 5'9"-6.0". Outside of those parameters...tweaking may be required. Which is often the case on almost any motorcycle. Farkling can be fun. LOL

FJRZON (or is it now ZX14ZON?), I kinda figured that would happen with you. You WILL still ride wit us feejerites won't you?
Hope to ride with you this summer or fall...
Wheaton, I certainly will continue to ride with you “feejerites” & visit this great forum. Count on it! The FJR is a fine machine no doubt and the people and the administration of this forum are outstanding. It has come a time for me to pass my torch to a new mount. No plans to change my “handle“ yet…LOL. …Oh, I *might* go to the CFO. More on that later. Cheers! :drinks:

FJRZOR how much did you get for your bike ? Also was it fixed or totaled ?
Hey Zorkler! I decided to opt for the insurance buy-out instead of getting it fixed. They picked it up last Wednesday and gave me “fair market” value. They are putting it on auction. The bike ran/drove great & I used every last bit of those Avons before I handed the keys to them last Wednesday. LOL. :D

I'm 5' 7" and the bike fits me great! The ZX12 was a little tall (30" inseam). Got my first track day on the ZX coming up! Can't wait, should be a real kick....I hope to hit the pin @ 186 MPH, I guess we'll see!

i've had thoughts about the ZX14r,but i've had sport bikes before and they don't have room for hauling stuff like the FJR does.

The only disappointment i have in the FJR is no 6th gear overdrive and lack of power.

This winter i will be considering putting a Turbo on the FJR,nothing crazy,about 5.5-6lbs boost.

Should give me close to 200hp at the wheel. Garrett makes a nice size turbo gt2560r that will do the trick. :rolleyes:

Way to go super d. Did you get the re-entry tile finish? :D Would have cost me the FJR to buy the SuperKaw and I couldn't part with it. Kept the FJR and added an '01 929 instead.

FJRZON-Say it aint so my blue brother. :blink: Was looking for you at 2 wheel tuesday-watch for a 2001 CBR 929 Erion Racing Edition.

It gets poor milage, about 34-36 MPG with a 5.8 gal tank...
I'd say that was pretty good mileage. Hell, that's what I average on my FJR. This month's CW talked about the ZX-14 and the 'busa. The ECU is responsible for the reduced performance below 6K, if you can call sub-10 quarter-mile time 'reduced performance'.

I'd say Kawi has hit one out of the park...