ZX-14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey! Whats up here?!

YUZE GUYZ givin kudo's to a bike other than the FJ? Whats up with that? I guess its ok to accept a bike if it ain't a cruiser or HD :p

Just stirrin the pot. That honda DN-01 caught my eye!

Last edited by a moderator:
**** me hard. I love that bike.
No offense to any of you cats, but I think it would better suit my age: 35. You guys always seem to wonder if risers can be put on every bike that comes up for discussion.

I think I should get something low and long while I have no physical ailments.

"Honey..."

-BD
They all said I would be more uncomfortable on the gsxr since I was so miserable on the fjr.

I have to tell you I don't see me getting off the gsxr anytime soon. I am definitely comfortable on this bike.

I haven't changed a thing on it except grips that say gsxr just for bling since I bought it from Smitty.

The position is actually very comfortable and that bike was really built to tour.

I've had the ZX-14 for about 3 weeks now (2000 mi) and I love it! It's seems a little weak below 6000 RPM but when it hits you better be paying attention because it rips! It gets poor milage, about 34-36 MPG with a 5.8 gal tank, but it is comfortable to ride, looks great, handles great and flat HAULS ASS! If Kawasaki comes out with an ST based on the ZX I'd be VERY interested! :D
Removing the butterflies is one way to get more lowend power and it is about a 30 ft/lb increase in tq at 3600 rpms but it is very abrupt and some don't recommend it for the street.

The TRE mod is a little less but esentially all it does is open the butterflies sooner at 3000rpms instead of 7000.

Either mod you will need a PCIII as the air/fuel goes off the chart with the tre and if you just take the butterflies out and don't remap you actually lose power.

92ft/lb of tq at 3600 rpms is just unheard of and almost down right crazy if you are up to the power!!!

They all said I would be more uncomfortable on the gsxr since I was so miserable on the fjr.I have to tell you I don't see me getting off the gsxr anytime soon. I am definitely comfortable on this bike.

I haven't changed a thing on it except grips that say gsxr just for bling since I bought it from Smitty.

The position is actually very comfortable and that bike was really built to tour.
We think a lot alike. LOL. I could really never figure out what the FJR was trying to be in the ergo department. It always felt awfully awkward. It *tries* to be sport but is really (to me) mostly touring/cruiserish. Sort of like a “bi-sexual” bike if you will. Only way to describe it at the moment. The bike just felt like it didn’t know “which way to swing“. LOL. This maybe a reason why so many FJR owners put risers on their bikes to take the guessing out of the equation! Ya got yourself a cruiser/tourer now. LOL. Kidding of course guys.

Anyway…glad you are now happy Sparky! :bike:

They all said I would be more uncomfortable on the gsxr since I was so miserable on the fjr.

I have to tell you I don't see me getting off the gsxr anytime soon. I am definitely comfortable on this bike.

We think a lot alike. LOL. I could really never figure out what the FJR was trying to be in the ergo department. It always felt awfully awkward. It *tries* to be sport but is really (to me) mostly touring/cruiserish. Sort of like a “bi-sexual” bike if you will. Only way to describe it at the moment. The bike just felt like it didn’t know “which way to swing“. LOL. This maybe a reason why so many FJR owners put risers on their bikes to take the guessing out of the equation! Ya got yourself a cruiser/tourer now. LOL. Kidding of course guys.

Anyway…glad you are now happy Sparky! :bike:
When I said "That bike was really meant to tour" I did mean the ZX-14. It has all the makings of a great tour bike like so many have done with the Hayabusa.

And if anyone thinks a Hayabusa can't turn you are greatly mistaken. Just like the fjr with some suspension upgrades my friend Hayabusa eats other sport bikes in the twisies. Now it is a big part rider as he is a little out of his mind :lol:

PS When I first saw the ZX I didn't like it from the side view. With the retro things on the side painted the right way such as FJRZON's black one they don't stand out so much and the bike actually becomes very nice.

A little paint and this can be a hot bike!!!

Anyone here have(or previously owned) a Connie? If so what did you think?

I traded in a '97 Connie. I put 38k over the years. I had the bars modified by Heli, and a Corbin seat made it the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. I never experienced the "buzz" that many complain about. I could ride it all day without any problem. Had ample power but not a "rush" like the FJR. One of my best memories of it is riding the Natchez Trace, up the Gulf, down to Key West and back home to Johnson City, TN. The bike has held up well over the years, only one minor redesign. The mark of a truly great platform.

09-07-2006-12-27-39-656_edited-1.jpg

I would love to understand why you people with your sport bikes keep comparing them to the FJR. :angry2: They are built for two totally different purposes. I am sure the ZX-14 is an outstanding SPORTS BIKE as I am equally aware that the FJR is an excellent SPORT TOURING BIKE. :fans: If you want to make your sports bike into a touring bike, then just go buy a touring bike and get on with your life. :evilsmiley03:

I would love to understand why you people with your sport bikes keep comparing them to the FJR. :angry2: They are built for two totally different purposes. I am sure the ZX-14 is an outstanding SPORTS BIKE as I am equally aware that the FJR is an excellent SPORT TOURING BIKE. :fans: If you want to make your sports bike into a touring bike, then just go buy a touring bike and get on with your life. :evilsmiley03:

Well, I like when people compare the FJR to other bikes!

take two asprin and call someone in the morning :lol:

If you would actually sit on a ZX-14 it is probably the most comfortable bike I have ever sat on.

Some people just can't accept the fact that some people are not comfortable sitting straight up.

I actually get no arm pains leaning over because I am not on my arms, I use my legs and back and my arms are totally floating.

Just because they put the fjr in a category of sport touring doesn't mean other bikes can't do touring just as well if not better. Remember Dale actually uses his Blackbird to do iron butt rides more!

The suspension and braking on the ZX is possibly unmatched by any other production stock bike, it is simply awesome.

The seat is truely comfortable and possibly a "day long" right off the show room floor.

If bags on the side are all that matter to put a bike into the "touring" category, well I for one am glad the zx isn't in that category.

Kawasaki spent a lot of effort getting every category of this bike RIGHT.

Also realize that neither the Hayabusa nor the ZX-14 are truely SPORT BIKES, both have actually spent a lot of time in the TOURING arena...

If you would actually sit on a ZX-14 it is probably the most comfortable bike I have ever sat on.

Some people just can't accept the fact that some people are not comfortable sitting straight up.

I actually get no arm pains leaning over because I am not on my arms, I use my legs and back and my arms are totally floating.

Just because they put the fjr in a category of sport touring doesn't mean other bikes can't do touring just as well if not better. Remember Dale actually uses his Blackbird to do iron butt rides more!

The suspension and braking on the ZX is possibly unmatched by any other production stock bike, it is simply awesome.

The seat is truely comfortable and possibly a "day long" right off the show room floor.

If bags on the side are all that matter to put a bike into the "touring" category, well I for one am glad the zx isn't in that category.

Also realize that neither the Hayabusa nor the ZX-14 are truely SPORT BIKES, both have actually spent a lot of time in the TOURING arena...
That is great that you can sit in the ZX-14's riding position for 1000 mile runs. More power to you. However, bike builders would not make their flagship touring bikes and sport touring bikes with up right seating positions if that was not what the majority of people feel is comfortable for touring. Again, that's cool that the "sport" seating position is good for you for long distance touring. As for the ZX-14 being a tourer, maybe. However, it has a smaller fuel tank than most tourers, it gets less gas milage than tourers does not have a usable screen. All I am saying is that the ZX-14 was built for twisties and SPEED. It is a sports bike. It should be compared to other sports bikes like the Busa. I am not trying to upset the massess, I am just pointing out that the ZX-14 and the FJR are apples and oranges.

That is great that you can sit in the ZX-14's riding position for 1000 mile runs. More power to you. However, bike builders would not make their flagship touring bikes and sport touring bikes with up right seating positions if that was not what the majority of people feel is comfortable for touring. Again, that's cool that the "sport" seating position is good for you for long distance touring. As for the ZX-14 being a tourer, maybe. However, it has a smaller fuel tank than most tourers, it gets less gas milage than tourers does not have a usable screen. All I am saying is that the ZX-14 was built for twisties and SPEED. It is a sports bike. It should be compared to other sports bikes like the Busa. I am not trying to upset the massess, I am just pointing out that the ZX-14 and the FJR are apples and oranges.
Have you even looked at the blackbird? It is very much a layed over position and many use it for touring as does Dale aka Warchild.

Do you also realize that the fjr seating position really doesn't sit you upright and a few have actually gone farther down to make it more comfortable not upright?

Also the upright position puts the riders weight directly on the butt/butt bone. Not a position that many find comfortable and why so many look to aftermarket seats to cushion this area and spread out the weight distribution. A bent over position puts the weight onto the legs, a much stronger area that doesn't fatigue like the ass does.

Just because you don't think it will be comfortable, and just because many sport bikers don't enter these iron butt rides I personally know many that go on 2 and 3 day trips on them and are just fine. They don't have a need to enter a rally to prove anything!

Once going the wind carries all of your weight and the windshield on my gsxr at 100mph doesn't cause any buffeting, no head shake, no horrible noises and is perfect. I actually took the touring windshield off that came with it and put the original back on.

Mine is not to BASH any bike or the FJR but you seem to think people need to stick with labeled Touring bikes if they want to tour and only use sport bikes for twities. If this is your thinking it is limited imho!!

Mine is not to BASH any bike or the FJR but you seem to think people need to stick with labeled Touring bikes if they want to tour and only use sport bikes for twities. If this is your thinking it is limited imho!!

Not at all. Again, I am only saying that the two bikes in question should not be compared to one another. That is it. People ride what they want for whatever reason they want. I too am not bashing any bikes. Nuff said on this topic.

Not at all. Again, I am only saying that the two bikes in question should not be compared to one another. That is it. People ride what they want for whatever reason they want. I too am not bashing any bikes. Nuff said on this topic.
If I bought a bike that was suppose to be the f*ing cats meow for touring and comfort and within the first 50 miles my hands are dead and my ass hurts. Then I get a bike that everyone says is going to be a torture chamber because of the body position and it actually is more comfortable than any cruiser or "sport tourer" I have ever ridden. I don't see why comparing 1 bike to another is not ok. For many what you call a bike made for long distance is not. The fjr for many has more SPORT than touring and for those that do tour on it they had to make a lot of changes from windshield, handlebars, seat etc to make it that bike.

For some who have owned the fjr and were still willing to explore other bikes as the ZX they found it to be for them everything they hoped the fjr to be but wasn't.

For those of you who are happy with the fjr, GREAT!

For those who aren't this is a bike to be seriously considered and can make a great touring bike even if it isn't "labeled" as one.

If I bought a bike that was suppose to be the f*ing cats meow for touring and comfort and within the first 50 miles my hands are dead and my ass hurts. Then I get a bike that everyone says is going to be a torture chamber because of the body position and it actually is more comfortable than any cruiser or "sport tourer" I have ever ridden. I don't see why comparing 1 bike to another is not ok. For many what you call a bike made for long distance is not. The fjr for many has more SPORT than touring and for those that do tour on it they had to make a lot of changes from windshield, handlebars, seat etc to make it that bike.

For some who have owned the fjr and were still willing to explore other bikes as the ZX they found it to be for them everything they hoped the fjr to be but wasn't.

For those who aren't this is a bike to be seriously considered and can make a great touring bike even if it isn't "labeled" as one.
Well at lunch went to the dealer to check out and mount this bike, it is nice but a touring bike that would be relaxed riding, I really do not think so, it was worse than the fjr in the stock bar position, it would be more of a lay on bike. maybe with bar extenders one could get it close. but then there would be no wind protection.

In the event you do set this one up as a touring model I would be interested in seeing a photo gallery.

Just adding bags alone, imo would not make this a eom travel to in one day or more bike.

Well at lunch went to the dealer to check out and mount this bike, it is nice but a touring bike that would be relaxed riding, I really do not think so, it was worse than the fjr in the stock bar position, it would be more of a lay on bike. maybe with bar extenders one could get it close. but then there would be no wind protection.

In the event you do set this one up as a touring model I would be interested in seeing a photo gallery.

Just adding bags alone, imo would not make this a eom travel to in one day or more bike.
You can not sit on any sport bike to judge comfort, they were meant to move.

Once you are going even 20-30 mph the winds does everything it is suppose to.

The foot pegs are low for more rider comfort in the knees.

The seat is thin in the front to be able to touch the ground easily.

It really is well thought out.

The stock handlebars are actually in a good ergo position as far as sport bikes go.

If you have never ridden a sport bike, don't judge by just sitting on it.

FIrst sit of an fjr seems comfortable because of the position but 5 minutes into a ride and I quickly changed my mind. I was looking for "fixes" from the start.

It is hard to tell someone anything about a sport bike, you have to not only experience it you also have to be given a few pointers.

Don't for 1 minute try to rest on the handlebars, that is not what they are for. The mere concept of this goes against all, you are suppose to have no weight on them for relaxed quick movements.

Your upperbody is supported by the legs squeezed around the tank, lower back slightly tight, after about 20mph mark the wind does the rest for you.

Now stop and go traffic does lend to problems but I am rarely there.

The zx also has good space from the handlebars to the seat, it is not cramped.

Take one for a spin if you get the chance...

The stock handlebars are actually in a good ergo position as far as sport bikes go.

FIrst sit of an fjr seems comfortable because of the position but 5 minutes into a ride and I quickly changed my mind. I was looking for "fixes" from the start.

It is hard to tell someone anything about a sport bike, you have to not only experience it you also have to be given a few pointers.

Don't for 1 minute try to rest on the handlebars, that is not what they are for. The mere concept of this goes against all, you are suppose to have no weight on them for relaxed quick movements.

Your upperbody is supported by the legs squeezed around the tank, lower back slightly tight, after about 20mph mark the wind does the rest for you.

Yeah I do agree that just walking in to the showroom and jumping on the bike and balancing it there is not a good test. I agree the wind is probably pushing you up and away from the tank if you let it inbetween you and the tank.

take the windshield off of the fjr and it is a big sport bike, maybe not as nimble but same feeling.

dress shoes did not give it due justice, maybe they'll let me take it for a test ride????

What you say think the dealer would???

They had the red/black and the blue in stock

Yeah I do agree that just walking in to the showroom and jumping on the bike and balancing it there is not a good test. I agree the wind is probably pushing you up and away from the tank if you let it inbetween you and the tank.

take the windshield off of the fjr and it is a big sport bike, maybe not as nimble but same feeling.

dress shoes did not give it due justice, maybe they'll let me take it for a test ride????

I doubt it. :D

I know I beat this to death but I stayed away from the GSXR for literally YEARS because I feared it would be uncomfortable for all the reasons stated here.

I have ridden cruisers, and the fjr and was not happy. I would come home beat to death, back and ass hurting and my wife could see my frustration. I wouldn't ride for weeks sometimes because I just didn't find it enjoyable.

If I had never made the JUMP to the GSXR and just said forget it, it can't be any worse than any other bike.

I just can't believe I can actually ride from tank to tank with no pain. For me that is just incredible.

I will continue to steer people to sport bikes if I can because I truely believe they are the best of all worlds.

While luggage can be a struggle for some and to me is why they then turn to "TOURING" bikes, I see guys on R1 and other sport bikes with back packs, soft side bags and things on the rear seat touring all the time in WV and the like.

I know I beat this to death but I stayed away from the GSXR for literally YEARS because I feared it would be uncomfortable for all the reasons stated here.

I have ridden cruisers, and the fjr and was not happy. I would come home beat to death, back and ass hurting and my wife could see my frustration. I wouldn't ride for weeks sometimes because I just didn't find it enjoyable.

If I had never made the JUMP to the GSXR and just said forget it, it can't be any worse than any other bike.

I just can't believe I can actually ride from tank to tank with no pain. For me that is just incredible.

I will continue to steer people to sport bikes if I can because I truely believe they are the best of all worlds.

While luggage can be a struggle for some and to me is why they then turn to "TOURING" bikes, I see guys on R1 and other sport bikes with back packs, soft side bags and things on the rear seat touring all the time in WV and the like.
Well you are close enough, maybe you would be up for a long ride to :) Kentucky, then maybe you would be okay with watching me ride off into the sunset on your bike :lol: ,

Then maybe, I would be able to justify joining your ranks on the dark side, I do remember renting a ninja so many years ago in Florida I can not remember when.

great bike then, probably just as good now or better, If I didn't already have the monthly payment stub for this one maybe!!!!

oh well, I'll just take the windshield off when I want to have that feeling B)

Well you are close enough, maybe you would be up for a long ride to :) Kentucky, then maybe you would be okay with watching me ride off into the sunset on your bike :lol: ,

Then maybe, I would be able to justify joining your ranks on the dark side, I do remember renting a ninja so many years ago in Florida I can not remember when.

great bike then, probably just as good now or better, If I didn't already have the monthly payment stub for this one maybe!!!!

oh well, I'll just take the windshield off when I want to have that feeling B)
If I still had the fjr knowing what I know now, I would lower the bars for sure not raise them as so many do.

Possibly get a custom seat more like a sport bike seat instead of the kind like Russell with wings and such.

Then cut the windshield down. Since I spent so much money and time going the other direction I never figured it out.

1 Windshield, 3 sets of risers and 2 aftermarket seats later...

The engine and the rest of the bike on the fjr is very nice. I just had to finally see that for me I do not fit the majority of upright seating.

When I sit for any period of time in a chair and then go to stand up I have a horrible pain in my arse. It is probably something with my spine and the sport bike position doesn't do this to me...