A Day With Old Michael

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
Speaking of stunning ride reports. Not even posted in the ride reports section.
I'm still trying to figure out the elusive OM. He used to post rides late on Friday evenings. Then he moved to Saturday morning. Now I have to start checking the Forum 10 minutes before "church". What's next, Wednesday moonlight rides?

It's all good though. Couldn't stand riding with him anyway.
He's referring to Old Michael's post at the tail end of his "ride planning" announcement yesterday morning about a ride that was to begin slightly later yesterday morning. And to his (OM's) ride report tacked onto the end of the same thread.

So here's the REAL ride report, at least in its proper place. Maybe OM will grace us with a few of the 115 pictures he took during the day.

So Sunday morning, first my dog whines to go out, and then as I'm trying to get back to sleep, the phone rings. Looked like I wasn't getting any more sleep, so I got up, poured some coffee, and checked for emails and clicked on the forum. A ride up 49 through gold country. Sounded good, and a road I'd just been discussing with RsvlFeej on Saturday. Must be fate. So I gave OM a call, it looked like it was just going to be the two of us. I weighed the chances of the two of us both going off at a curve or crashing into each other, and decided the risk was acceptable, so I rode out to Roseville Yamaha, arriving early. Since OM was late, on the average we were both exactly on time.

OM prepares to pass on the double yellow, but at least he always signals first. He's very considerate of other drivers. Often signals MILES before a lane change.

IMG_0893.jpg

Another scenic spot along the Downie River.

IMG_0889.jpg

Shortly after the shot above, OM was attacked by a hoarde of swallows. I thought he was done for, but it turned out all they wanted was nesting material, and found his hair irresistible. Its color blended in perfectly with the granite rocks where they hide their nests, and the way the individual strands stood out made it easy for the birds to pluck them out one by one in flight.

IMG_0890.jpg

We had lunch in Sierra City, just past Downieville. Nice little towns, not in danger from urban sprawl. This one's Downieville.

IMG_0895.jpg

OM's food gets cold as he says grace. As you see, those damn birds were very effective.

IMG_0896.jpg

The rest of you Sac-area riders, too bad for you. You should all get up early every weekend day and check to see what Old Michael has planned for us. It was a good ride. By the way, I liked this pic so much from his post on the other thread I thought I'd move it over here. Feel free to use it on your desktops. The rest of his shots were from some other ride, for Pete's sake.

Sacramento Mike went up the hill with me this morning.Him on Hwy. 49-on his new FJR! Who knew?

IMG0583cropped.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Cool! Downieville area on 49 is awesome! Looks like OM is at the old grocery store in the one shot with him and his camera. I like that bridge over there by the bar with the 49 sign, cool looking homes there.

Why didn't you get a shot of OM at the gallows?

I spent TWO days in that area 2 years ago - so much to see and do. Spent 3 hours in the Downieville moosuem.

Great times, and nice ride!

Somewhere there nearby is an resort, Harringtons, IIRC? I'd like to take the loverly there on the FJR and spend 3 days or so.. inside of course! :rolleyes:

Very nice SM. Looks like you had some good weather with some good companions. I just have to remember to check for ride plans 24/7.

Or, I suppose I could plan one of my own,duh!

Nice pics too.

Dunno...looks like he lost his short bus in this shot...

IMG_0895.jpg

Bacon cheeseburger and onion rings, mmmm! I think the prayer is a good idea! ;)
It didn't help v65. I had heartburn before we got the check.

SacMike, sorry for the delay. Here are some of the pics I got of the day brother.

Enjoyed the hell out of it. Thanks for joining me.

SacMike contemplating a swan dive.

IMG_0558.jpg

And a bunch more, in no particular order.

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0841-1.jpg

IMG_0565-1.jpg

IMG_0581edited.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0573-2.jpg

Mike set a pretty good pace -- for a retiree.

IMG_0557copy.jpg

IMG_0588edited.jpg

IMG_0844-1.jpg

And here's a coupla shots from the day before, also in the Sierras, but with Sean.

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0490-2.jpg

It appears that spring has fully sprung.

Thanks again Mike.

I spent TWO days in that area 2 years ago - so much to see and do. Spent 3 hours in the Downieville moosuem. Great times, and nice ride!

Somewhere there nearby is an resort, Harringtons, IIRC? I'd like to take the loverly there on the FJR and spend 3 days or so.. inside of course! :rolleyes:
Yep, Don -- Harringtons in Sierra City. I've been riding that road since 1979 -- back then coming down to Nevada City from Tahoe City for lunch and hanging out on the Yuba River around Downieville. Nowadays, I ride it in the opposite direction. Harringtons has always been there, the huge green lawn area across the highway -- always thought the same as you -- great place to hang out for a few days with a lady friend -- maybe to play room sports a lot. There are a couple fishing resorts west of Sierra City, closer to Downieville (Shan-gri-la is one) on the south side of the river that also intrigue me as a great place to ride to with a lady friend for some fishing and relaxing.

I love that ride, OM and SM. Thanks for the great pics. Should be soon that Gold Lakes Road is open, and that makes a great extension to head up to Graeagle.

Hmmmm -- gotta get the FJR up and running again. She's got no forks on her right now -- they're hanging upside dwon draining the last of the fluid from them as I type.

I'd like to take the loverly there on the FJR and spend 3 days or so.. inside of course! :rolleyes:
-- always thought the same as you -- great place to hang out for a few days with a lady friend -- maybe to play room sports a lot.
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

And I go up there with Sacramento Mike, for cryingoutloud! (And that scratchy CyclePort gear. :blink: )

What are ya'll trying to say?

"He's very considerate of other drivers. Often signals MILES before a lane change. "
:dribble: :crazy: :lol2:
Raise yer hand if all yer riding mates can say you've NEVER done that. :rolleyes:
well, we know you can't wheaters :dribble:
I don't remember riding with you Barb...I'm SURE I would remember that. :)
That's it Wheatie! Come right back at her. If you show fear, that will only encourage her.

Latest posts