Bulb fell into headlight

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleetfoot

Reaction score
I somehow dropped the old bulb into the headlight while trying to remove it. Any suggestions on how to remove the bulb short of removing the headlight are appreciated.

I am currently working with a rare earth magnet and forceps with no success yet. I can get it into the opening but it is difficult to grasp the prongs to get it oriented correctly to get it out. I believe I need to get the bulb tipped with the glass down inside the headlight to get it back out.

IMG_0452-M.jpg

Wow, I didn't even know that you could get an intact H4 to fall through the opening. You might end out having to remove the nose cowling in order to manipulate it appropriately. Don't know about the Gen III but not an awful job for a Gen II.

Edit: You might have to bring it out bulb end first and finesse it through the opening by holding the bulb. Chances are with the handling, you will have gotten lots of greasy fingerprints on the bulb (clean with isopropanol) or gotten fine scratches on the bulb envelope (discard). You might be able to hold the bulb against the headlight lens with the magnet and reach in with long tweezers or forceps to grab the bulb.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
uhoh.gif
How in the heck did you do that? Was it some type of magic trick you are perfecting?
poster_oops.gif
...if you didn't have a picture I would have a hard time believing it. Good luck getting it out...I think you have a long day in front of you getting that thing out...

Here's another one that is amazed that the bulb could fall in. It's almost enough to make one wonder if something isn't broken on the headlight housing that holds the bulb
uhoh.gif
I sure hope not, have you seen what the housing co$ts?
dribble.gif
The forum has seen fixes for broken glass in the headlight housing but not the whole bulb -- AFAIK, this is a first.

I think if you get a dremel, you can cut right through that housing and get the bulb.

...sorry about your issue. FJR headlights are a pain...

Flexible magnetic pickup tool.

I have one that has a handle, a bendable copper wire, and a magnet at the other end. Very useful!

I'm wondering what to do when the OP gets it to the hole. With the three pronged design, you'd have to be incredibly lucky to fine that magical sweet spot. I'm with Wheaton on this one dremel a hole at the bottom, patch it up and you're good to go. Good Luck! :)

I think I'd try something like a Vaccuflex, to grab onto the bulb end securely - hopefully with sufficient force to hold it while rotating it and bringing it within finger reach.

I'm gobsmacked that the bulb actually fell through into the headlight, and imagine it'll be a tight fit coming back. Be prepared for the bulb to break - wear gloves and eye protection if you plan on forcing it. In fact, it may be necessary to break it in order to get it out. The vaccuflex will then come in handy to remove the bits.

I purchased the Vaccuflex set from Lee Valley, but you can probably find it or similar at other places:

12F0115s1.jpg

(I don't have a chandelier..)

Google vaccuflex for more info

OK, you made me go look. There is only one place where the hole in the housing is bigger than the plate on the back of the bulb, and that's that little square notch at the bottom that keys the bulb's orientation.

I TRIED to turn the bulb so it would go through there and couldn't do it.

Just replace the bulb and let the old one rattle around in there for a few years. You can show it to people at gatherings, like a ship-in-a-bottle kind of thing.

Just replace the bulb and let the old one rattle around in there for a few years. You can show it to people at gatherings, like a ship-in-a-bottle kind of thing.
He'd have to glue it down or it would destroy the reflector pretty quickly. I like yer thinking though :D