Tank Heat Fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastersilverfjr

Reaction score
I just tested what I think is the best heat fix out there. Metal/silver lined bubble wrap skirt around the backside of the tank from frame on right side to frame on left side. I simply placed the bubble wrap under the tank (did not adhere it to the tank) and attached the skirt to the little lip on tank.

I purposely ran my tank to reserve and took an extra long route home last night.

94F

85-90% humidity

No wind

I rode on reserve for 20 miles and the tank did not get hot...DID NOT GET HOT!

Before this fix, the tank would get extremely hot when running low on fuel much worse on reserve.

Again, metal/silver lined bubble wrap from your local hardware store.

1) cut out piece simply placed under the tank.

2) 2 - 4 inch skirt along the backside of the tank from frame to frame, under the black panels, under the seat, leaving a space for the seat tongue.

TANK DID NOT GET HOT, AT ALL!!! ...yes I am yelling.

Wow, I cannot believe how well this worked.

I had the local Ace Hardware store cut me a 1 foot wide strip from a 6 foot long roll for $2.50. That is 1'x6' of the bubble wrap insulation for only $2.50. Plenty for the piece under the tank and the skirt around the tank with plenty left over for experimentation under the fairing.

After filling the tank the next day in 95F, the tank stayed very cold the entire ride. A full tank would not have gotten hot after only about 20 miles, but it would have gotten warm enough to feel some heat. The tank actually stayed cold so pressing my legs in was a relief from the furnace heat of the air.

I really cannot believe the tremendous difference this bubble wrap and the skirt has made.

In addition, I completed Cromeit's right side heat fix from fjrowners.com and put two packages of 2.25 x 2.25 AC Unit insulation on both the right and left sides of the fairing.

I don't get it... Why do some tanks get hot and others don't (I'm speaking of unmodified bikes, of course...)? My stays relatively cool. Oh, it might get a bit warm in slo-mo LA traffic, but that's it...

Hate to have you pull the tank to get pictures, but if you do, please take some and post.

I posted two pics on fjrowners.com: pics here

That's is exactly what I did and the Ace Hardware helped me out. It comes in big rolls and is by the insulation products.

I would recommend a fire retardant thermal insulating blanket over "bubble wrap" material. Chances are that the metalized plastic won't catch fire. But the fire resistant fabric/metal backed insulator is also pretty easy to come by. And it may be more durable.

I also just formed the insulation under the tank (actually formed it over the frame and mashed the tank down onto it), but from stem to stern, and even behind the tank under where it bolts down. I put an extra piece over the heads under the fuel rail. That was a mistake. Just the single layer blanket from end to end and side to side tucked in whereever possible gets the job done.

The difference in how much heat is NOT transferred to the tank due to an extra layer of inulation is definitely worth the trouble no matter what material you might chose.

FJR_EngineBlanket.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted two pics on fjrowners.com: pics here

That's is exactly what I did and the Ace Hardware helped me out. It comes in big rolls and is by the insulation products.
dude, your bike needs a wash ASAP.

:eek:

My son and I and a couple of buddies just finished a six day, 1800 mile ride up thru Oregon and Washington to take in the National Outdoor Motocross race at Washougal, Washington. Both the departure day and return day were ridden in 100 plus degree weather. I was wearing Levi's and low cut boots on my '04 FJR, which I have had for nearly two years now and which passed the 20,000 mile point on this ride. I have not felt it necessary to do any of the heat mods that others have been doing. Frankly, I was not bothered at all by the heat emanating from the engine, either while the bike was in motion or when riding in stop and go traffic, but the gas tank did get uncomfortably hot after several hours of high speed riding. It began to get irritating to have the inside of my thighs pressed against the tank. I think I will look to better insulate under the gas tank but other than that, I don't see a need to do any additional mods. Thanks for the tips about insulating the tank.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)

I don't get it... Why do some tanks get hot and others don't (I'm speaking of unmodified bikes, of course...)? My stays relatively cool.
An excellent question, I've been wondering about this. When I had the tank up to do the first TB synch on my '05 I noticed some metal foil material adhered to the bottom of the tank - from the factory (I bought new). Do all FJR's have this? Only '05's? Only some of the '05's? Or is some other factor responsible? <_<

I don't get it... Why do some tanks get hot and others don't (I'm speaking of unmodified bikes, of course...)? My stays relatively cool.
An excellent question, I've been wondering about this. When I had the tank up to do the first TB synch on my '05 I noticed some metal foil material adhered to the bottom of the tank - from the factory (I bought new). Do all FJR's have this? Only '05's? Only some of the '05's? Or is some other factor responsible? <_<
Interesting...my '05 does not have this! My tank gets hot! My bike was manufactured in May (per my serial number if I am reading it right)

The one thing I worry about when putting in heat shielding is taking away the bike's ability to dissipate heat...I'm really interested in seeing how the engine temperature has been impacted by heat shielding...if it is negligible I'm shielding NOW (and taking it out for winter)

The tank getting hot is the only thing that bothers me when riding in jeans.

I ordered some of this from JC Whitney. Should be here in a few days.

Interesting...my '05 does not have this! My tank gets hot! My bike was manufactured in May (per my serial number if I am reading it right)
Some photos shown of an 03 may help. A light duty metal tape was added to the underside of all the tanks in that year (from 02).

All the details here:

https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/mods/insul/insul.html

insulation03.jpg

(oem insulation)

Last edited by a moderator:
The stuff that Diesel ordered from JC Whitney is similar to what I used, if not exactly the same. I used a product called "The Insulator". Metal backing sewn to an insulating fabric.

Get the JC Whitney stuff. Probably exactly the same and cheaper than what I bought.

This is a great way to mod under the tank. The tank does not touch the blanket in many places, so there are air pockets that might even help insulate from the heat. Foil side down, please.

I run my tank well down into the F reserve zone without it getting hot. Very nice.

Diesel, where in the JC Whitney catalog did you find the heat shield?? I would like to order some for my bike as well-in jeans it is VERY hot!!!

Thanks B)

Diesel, where in the JC Whitney catalog did you find the heat shield?? I would like to order some for my bike as well-in jeans it is VERY hot!!!

Thanks B)
Click me :D

Sorry to offer a dissenting opinion but I will not add anything in the way of engine compartment insulation to this fine machine that might compromise it's ability to dissipate heat from the engine. That's why this fall, when I begin to dip into my growing "farkle box," I'm going to experiment w/ some ideas I have for heat dissipation. And, will probably try the Cromeit Heat Fix, as well. I'm not in a rush to do any of this as I don't find the left side heat especially uncomfortable...after all, I'm sitting right on top of 145 horses generated by internal combustion.

I do appreciate the creativity displayed on this forum to fix almost anything. Keep it up.

I can certainly relate to not wanting to block the engine heat from escaping. The tank blanket, imho, does not block heat from getting away from the radiator or the engine.

I even blocked up the rear of the fairing with water pipe insulation. I didn't see a change in the water meter until I added extra insulation right over the heads. That was a mistake. But the heat meter only increased even then while in stop and go traffic with temps above 90. I don't think closing off the rear/top of the fairing will be an issue, long as you let the air out the gill slits.

I think the tank blanket is a MUST mod. The Cromeit fix is a great one, too. However, I think THAT one actually restricts the airflow by blocking off the air in that area. I would still do it, 'cept that I wanted the airflow blockage through the fairing to be easily reversed for winter riding. Plus I was too lazy to remove the fairing...

Either way, if the water meter is happy, I'm happy. Especially now that I'm not roasting my nads on the tank.

Let us know if you come up with a better hammer.