Tank Heat Fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing is wrong with you. Just don't change your avatar... unless you could make her just a wee bit larger in the square... very nice logo.

I noticed one of those foldable sunscreens in a car windshield today. It had a silver coating on both sides and appeared to be about 1/8" thick. Does anyone know it something like that would work? :huh:

I went to Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and True Value looking for metal/silver lined bibble wrap, and no one there knew what I was talking about. Oops, there's my problem, I should have asked for bubble wrap instead of bibble wrap. :haha:

Check Home Depot in the insulation dept..They have a bubble wrap insulation that is covered in a foil,rather than a mylar.I think it wouls actually be better in this application.

I used the same blanket from JC Whitney as shown in this thread.I glued it to the bottom of the tank with the Hi-Temp adhesive they sell for it.I am a little disappointed in the results.My tank still gets pretty warm.It seems to take a little longer to heat up,and requires a little higher ambient temp for it to get uncomfortable.Oh well,I wasn't expecting miracles.It's more of an annoyance than it is a real problem anyway.When the weather is hot,I try to make myself ride with the legs open a little.This is difficult for me as I grew up on dirtbikes,and I tend to "hold" the tank with my legs.

I also did the "Cromeit Heat Fix" when I did the tank and I am much happier with the results of it.BIG difference in left side heat!If the left side heat causes you some bother,I would definitely do it.

better hammer? Why? What's wrong with me?
YOUR AVATAR IS TOO SMALL!!

Sorry to offer a dissenting opinion but I will not add anything in the way of engine compartment insulation to this fine machine that might compromise it's ability to dissipate heat
I agree, except a gasoline tank is never intended to perform double duty as a heat sink. The stock adhesive foil material on my '05 is keeping the tank at normal temperatures, and the bike runs at normal temps, never over 2 bars unless stuck in traffic. I wear jeans when riding and have NEVER noticed excessive buildup of heat in the tank.

Interesting...my '05 does not have this! My tank gets hot! My bike was manufactured in May (per my serial number if I am reading it right)
Mine was built in July '04 (7/04 is marked at the top of the sticker) and the last 4 digits of the S/N are 2772. It is blue and was sold as an '05. How does this compare with others that are missing the reflective foil material under the tank?

Well I went ahead and did the bubble wrap mod this evening. Not sure I'll keep it. The tank dosen't sit like it used to and is propped up by the bubble wrap. Seems that there isn't enough room between the airbox and the gas tank. It all bolted down fine but you can tell it's up about a quarter inch.

Anyway, while I had the tank up. I placed a flood light in front of the bike pointing at the radiator, turned out the overhead lights and looked to see if there was a direct path from the front of the bike where light, and thus fresh air, could get under the tank and I was amazed to see that there is NO air getting to the back side of the engine. At least no fresh air.

So I took a shop vac crevice tool and sort of jammed (its a technical term) it through the opening in the frame where the clutch line goes through so now there is a straight shot from the forks to under the tank.

I don't know what if any effect it will have but some fresh air has got to be better than none.

@ Ramblin Man

Good information. I've only had my FJR for 3 months now and, I know, this does not qualify me as an expert and this topic has been hashed out by better mechanics and technicians than me. But, IMHO, your experiment w/ the floodlight reinforces what I've been thinking abt the heat coming off this engine...that it is a problem w/ heat dissipation, not heat generation. The heat generation problem could easily be solved by leaving the ignition off...obviously, NOT an option. The heat dissipation problem could be solved, I think, by getting positive air flow thru the engine compartment...just like the fan does at 4 bars.

And, as stated in an earlier post, I'm not real thrilled w/ the idea of adding insulation in the engine compartment.

I've been trying to think of a way to get positive air flow under the tank and/or thru the engine compartment. I may try installing a Gold Wing windshield vent on the stock shield to direct ambient air down to the tank area. I posted this as an idea in another thread, since I'm unsure of the technical aspects of this, but got no definitive feedback.

I'd be interested in the results of your Shop Vac crevice tool jammer (technical terms). Pls post your comments after you take a ride w/ the "new technology."

Thanx for the post and be careful out there.

Ramblin Man...be sure to keep us posted on how the added air to the back of the engine works. After having my FJR for 2 years I find the only heat issue I have is the gas tank heat. And that's not a big problem most of the time up here in Vermont.

I just did my tank fix yesterday. This was not an original idea of mine, but one that someone else did on another forum. I'm sorry that I can not credit the author.

I removed my tank and applied ThermoTec aluminized, adhesive backed heat barrier material. The resutls are shown here:

thermo-tec.jpg

The tank heating issue has not been a huge one with me, as I ride so that my "boys" are not on the tank. I just felt that this would make the bike somewhat cooler overall, and keep the fuel supply a little cooler, which may make the bike run a little better. I purchased the material the local NAPA Auto Parts store in town. I did have to order it. I got two sheets of it, one 12" X 24" and the other 12" X 12". I had little left after the job, so that amount seems about right to me. The material seems to be able to assume the shape of what it is attached to with relative ease, so I would shape and fit and then cut before removing the backing.

The NAPA part numbers for the two sheets are 7357081 and 735-3962. My un-scientific appraisal is that it helps. To what degree, I don't know. I'm glad I did it.

Bike Effects...

I did that same tank heat fix on my old FJR. I thought that worked pretty well. I did the bubble wrap shield under the tank and the skirt on my new FJR and I think it works better.

I will be very interested to hear how that shop vac rig works.

Anyway, while I had the tank up. I placed a flood light in front of the bike pointing at the radiator, turned out the overhead lights and looked to see if there was a direct path from the front of the bike where light, and thus fresh air, could get under the tank and I was amazed to see that there is NO air getting to the back side of the engine. At least no fresh air.
So I took a shop vac crevice tool and sort of jammed (its a technical term) it through the opening in the frame where the clutch line goes through so now there is a straight shot from the forks to under the tank.

I don't know what if any effect it will have but some fresh air has got to be better than none.
I was thinking along the same lines while I was under the hood putting Moko's on over the weekend. It looks like what air does get to the motor is run through the radiator first and there is very little "fresh" air making it to the motor.

I was wondering if a shopvac nozzle and hose could be rigged to get some clean air into the engine bay...........

I did shove some pipe insulation under the fairing and the side covers that dress the area between the frame and the tank....... maybe that will help a bit.

Let us know how it works!

Scooter

Another source for FJRocket's blanket/aluminum foil combo pictured on page 1 of this thread is PEP Boys. I picked up a 4'X6' blanket marketed as "TERMO SHIELD" by Spectr Products, Inc. Las Vegas, Nevada. This is an aluminum foil felt backed blanket for underhood use, also conforming to the FMVSS302 standard for flammability. Total cost was $13.99 plus tax. Once I get my tank size piece cut, I'll cut the remainder up for local Houston area FJR riders who want to try this fix out and offer them a precut piece gratis at my front door if they will pick it up. FJRocket, what square size piece did you cut out of your pad prior to trimming to fit bottom of the tank?

I went about 4 inches outside the closest part of the tank on the sides and rear. At the front, it doesn't matter, take it right to the bolt down flange. It's trimmed to fit. Not the tank, but the frame and parts under the tank. It's tucked in under some places, like the black side panels and under the bolt down part at the rear of the tank. I left it just long enough not to show anywere. So I bolted the tank down over it with the tails sticking out and used a sharpey to mark it. Then I cut inside of that line.

I was browsing around a bike shop today looking for some idea(s) to get positive air flow to the engine compartment (heat dissipation) of my FJR. I began a conversation w/ an "old timer" and told him what I was looking for and why. Even asked him about installing a Gold Wind windshield vent upside down on the stock FJR windshield. He said "that wouldn't be enough to make a difference. What you need is a Baker Air Wing, like on a Gold Wing."

Since I had no idea what he was talking about, I came home and Googled "Baker Air Wing." Lo and behold, there they were.

I think, as w/ the shield vent, these would be butt fugly on the FJR. And, have no idea as to their benefit but thought I'd post this here to maybe get some creative ideas started.

@ Ramblin Man - any feedback on your Shop Vac crevice tool jammer air vent? any pics?

Yeah, Ramblin......do you need a little trailer to drag the shop vac behind the bike?