Tank Heat Fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So when do we get paid for all the R&D work we're doing? :headbonk:
Ramblin Man.......Yamaha just told me that your check is in the mail (where have I heard that before?) :eek:

The bubble wrap under the tank has the additional benefit of reducing noise from the engine as well. The apparent reduction is about the same as putting a helmet on.

Did I miss any reference to the side panels heat?

I didn't have any significant problems with heat until my trip to the Central Owner's gathering in Wisconsin. I came home with a burn on my right calf above the cowboy boot.

We were wearing mesh jackets and pants.

I still have the red burn mark a month later.

It looks as if the heat from the frame heated the plastic side cover enough to burn my leg. Am I assuming something incorrectly? I can't imagine the heat came from the fairing gap to the frame in front of my leg.

I plan on making all of the heat modifications this winter and will add insulation behind the side panels as well.

I notice the 2006 side panels have air scoops built into the front ends.

dobias <_<

I really think that ventilation in and out is the issue and with greater airflow the heat problem with "float away"...It shouldn't bee to hard to get some scoops designed to fit into a side panel that has a hole cut in it....then to create a place for that air to exit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dobias...the bubble heat shield that I put around the tank and under those plastic pieces fixed the heat problem you mentioned.

@Ramblin Man

I hope you read the recent post about the "improved air management system" on the '06 FJR. It seems Yami engineers took a page from "Ramblin Man R&D" and decided that improved air flow thru the engine compartment is the answer to reducing heat discomfort experienced by the rider of a bike powered by a 145 hp internal combustion engine.

IMHO, you were on the right track w/ your "vacumn hose air injection thingy."

Congrats on your insight.

I would recommend a fire retardant thermal insulating blanket over "bubble wrap" material. Chances are that the metalized plastic won't catch fire. But the fire resistant fabric/metal backed insulator is also pretty easy to come by. And it may be more durable.
Has anyone who used the "Thermo Shield" foil-backed insulation blanket sold by Pep Boys or JCW had any problems caused by it retaining water after washing or rain? I used it also and it does reduce the tank/crotch heat, but it also does absorb water and I'm wondering if there is going to be a problem with mildew or some other nasty bad thing.

Last edited by a moderator: