Right side Low-beam headlight not working.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puppychow

RAWR
Reaction score
Pardon the verbose writing as I describe what I have done to diagnose this so far...

I noticed today that my right side low-beam light was not working. When I got home I checked the wiring diagram, please correct me if I am wrong, but the green wire pictured below shows 13.86V when the bike is fired up and the switch is at low-beam, the voltage goes away when I change the switch to high-beam. This means the green wire is carrying the low-beam current. I couldn't get a voltmeter lead to the yellow wire which is probably high beam and that works anyway...

IMG_2866.jpg

The green wire on the left side low-beam light also shows the same behavior described above - everything works on left side though.

So the questions are -

1. Is my right side low-beam headlight filament burnt out? I am leaning towards this being the case.

2. I have no idea how to change out the headlights, is there a write-up somewhere? Please help!

Thanks,

Sam

It is almost certain that your low beam filament has expired. They don't last forever and you simply need to change the bulb. It's good policy to change both sides since when one goes the other side is not far behind.

You will be doing this by feel only. Get a flashlight to momentarily direct a beam onto the general area to get the lay of the land.

See the electrical connector inserted into the round rubber collar, remove the connector by pulling straight out. Wiggle it from side to side abit to get it started. Now pull the rubber collar off. It's a weathertight snug fit so you need to manhandle it. Pull out the flashlight again and take a look. You will see a shiney wire clip that has a distinctive loop or bend that is visible if you get the light just right. It hinges to one side. What you can't see is that on the end of the loop is a hook end that is under a 'jaw' on the light housing. Push the loop in and up to release the hook. Yes it's tight and yes it hurts your fingertip. Once released the clip will swing away and you can pull the bulb out.

Sam

Do yourself a favor...

Once you have the light bulb replaced, smear a little Silicon Dielectric Grease on the tabs before you re attach the sockets. It will make it easier to do this again in about 2 years.
Brodie

Thanks guys! I will give it a try tomorrow - the weather is going to be awful to ride anyway :(

EDIT - I need to get better at searching the site, I kept searching for "changing headlights" but kept getting those HID threads. Thanks Mike for the links!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another: change headlamp bulb site:fjrforum.com

Pulling the electrical plug is ease, as is removing the rubber boot. The "clip" is the frustrating part. Get a good flashlight and look long and hard....

Frustration is part of the experience, but just think of how much better you'll feel once you've done it.

Thanks again! I was checking out your links and it seems that the OSRAM Nightbreaker is the bulb to get, I couldn't find any local stores carry it, so I have it on order now from Ebay. I will change the current bulbs with Osrams when they arrive.

Both high beams still work, so I can still ride locally for short distances in the daytime (and pray they BOTH don't go out for a few days at least), although checking the weather forecasts - this whole week and weekend is looking to be crappy weather...

Osram is reported to be good...

I got sylvania xtravision h4 at the auto parts store

the fancy higher amp/watts bulbs (silverstar) seem to dislike a vibration prone vehicle like a bike and anyway, the brighter the bulb seems to be, the shorter its life even in the best of conditions.

oh, DO NOT touch the glass part of new bulb with bare skin...oil deposited on it will create a hot spot and damage the bulb when fired up

latex or better yet, nitrile (light blue) gloves are your friend

+1 (or should I say, +2?) to replacing both bulbs.

When I got my FJR last April, the right side bulb was burnt out.

On my way home from picking it up, I stopped at a dealer and got a replacement. The parts guy gave me 2. While I didn't order two, I thought, "That's OK. Now I have a spare."

After reading some of the bulb-changing threads, and after some cussing at Japanese engineers who must have really small hands, I had a new bulb in the right side.

Not more than a day later the left one was out. Luckily I had my spare and some 'sperience, so replacing the left one was much easier. Plus there's more room on the left side in the fairing, but those damned Japanese engineers must have REALLY small hands, the lil' turds.

Ride safe,

BG

Not more than a day later the left one was out. Luckily I had my spare and some 'sperience, so replacing the left one was much easier. Plus there's more room on the left side in the fairing, but those damned Japanese engineers must have REALLY small hands, the lil' turds.
I did my right side bulb 3 times this year. By the end of the summer, my hand looked like I tried to punch out a garden weasel.

First time: Swap out the stock bulbs for a set of Phillips +80's (Great on high beams)

Second time: Right side bulb low beam died, remove and replace with original stocker. (Note: High intensity bulbs do NOT last)

Third time: Must've had some finger oil on the bulb cuz the original stocker flamed out 2 weeks later.

Fourth time: Replaced both bulbs with some freshies. Kept the good stocker as a spare.

Oh wait! Four times! Next time the bulb burns out on the right side, I'mma kidnap one of those little turds and get them to change it!

he heheh he.. I said high beams...

Just have Brian change them before you break something, Chow-age! :lol:

As BikerGeek99 alluded to, your left one will now burn out in short order. Just replace them as a set and be done with it!

And welcome to the forum... about time, Sam!

I don't have the triple jointed fingers required to easily change out the right bulb. I found it was worth the time spent to remove the fairing panel (C?, the right front (therefore the right rear as well)) to get better access to the bulb. FWIW I always change both. when one goes the other isn't far behind.

Happy new year everyone.

Just have Brian change them before you break something, Chow-age! :lol:
As BikerGeek99 alluded to, your left one will now burn out in short order. Just replace them as a set and be done with it!

And welcome to the forum... about time, Sam!
If the roads were clear, you know I would be at Brian's Clubhouse this weekend... :drinks:

I have been lurking around the forum for a couple weeks now, about time for sure - had been talking about getting an FJR since the Idaho ride to eat in 2008, now finally have one! :D

I like to be a rebel. I only change one bulb at a time. Never had a second one go out quickly after the first. YMMV.

I like to be a rebel. I only change one bulb at a time. Never had a second one go out quickly after the first. YMMV.
same here...right one went out while engine being swapped (no I didn't complain that they did it !!!)

I bought a pair and opened up the right to do some cleaning up of wires...tried to stick my hand in there and stopped

Did my work and sealed it up...many weeks later, still have joy and two lights

I think I'm gonna install a Eastern Beaver harness and may go with better bulbs after researching comments here

Yep, it's the bulb and with an '05, you're probably right on schedule, depending on its mileage. Kinda a pain in the ass the first time, only because you have your hand in where it keeps you from being able to see, but once you've done it, you'll realize it's pretty easy. In Oct. '08, I saw FJRob change one out during a gas and snack break in our ride on 96-299-3-36 at Willow Creek, so I knew it had to be a relatively easy task once I knew what I was feeling for.

Last summer, in Nakusp, BC for CFR, I had the same issue on my '05. Everyone else went out riding that sunny Friday, but in a fit of homosexual pique, I decided to wash my unacceptably soiled motorcycle. Then I put on the peg extenders I'd just bought from BugR and went over the bike to get it ready for the second week of the trip. That's when I discovered one light was out. I walked to both auto parts stores in town and found they didn't have the bulbs I needed. Back at the lodge, SacramentoMike was messing with his bike, too. Amazingly, he'd changed out his headlight bulbs before the trip and had them with him as spares. So, 1500 miles from home, a fellow NorCal rider gave me one of his used spares. It's still in there, though I have a pair I'll put in before I take any trips this year.

Both high beams still work, so I can still ride locally for short distances in the daytime (and pray they BOTH don't go out for a few days at least), although checking the weather forecasts - this whole week and weekend is looking to be crappy weather..
Au contrere, mon ami!

Jan 1st:

High: 54 °F RealFeel®: 50 °F

Cloudy with a bit of rain; areas of morning fog

Scattered light showers do not "crappy weather" make.

Both high beams still work, so I can still ride locally for short distances in the daytime (and pray they BOTH don't go out for a few days at least), although checking the weather forecasts - this whole week and weekend is looking to be crappy weather..
Au contrere, mon ami!

Jan 1st:

I guess I am solar powered, if I can't see the sun at all it is crappy weather, however we must make the best of what life has to give us!

See you on the New Years ride! :)

Au contrere, mon ami!

Jan 1st:

I guess I am solar powered, if I can't see the sun at all it is crappy weather, however we must make the best of what life has to give us!

See you on the New Years ride! :)
Y'know, 2 years ago on our Hwy 3-36-96-299-Fortuna Ride, one of the folks "blew" a headlight. When we stopped for gas in Willow Creek he walked to the NAPA store, bought an H-4 bulb and changed his headlamp bulb.

As has been said above, once you've done it....it's not as complicated as we can make it sound.