Russell v. Corbin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eisen

Reaction score
I thought this post might be of interest to all those trying to decide which saddle to buy. I was having a tough time deciding between Russell and Corbin.

So being me, i decided to buy both.

For the record, I am 6' 1", 190lbs and have a 33" inseam.

The corbin comes in one size (unless you specify otherwise) - but i decided to leave it standard & add heating + backrest/glovebox.

Corbin use their own seat-pan - so no need to send one in

The Dual Russell saddle was built specifically for me & Valerie (wifey)

However, Russell requires you to send in an OEM seatpan. This is a major PITA for me (as i live abroad) - so I ordered a new OEM saddle (front+rear+rubber seating pads) from www.partforyamaha.com and the package was delivered straight to Russell.

FIRST OF ALL: Each and every company I dealt with was an absolute pleasure to work with and i would do it again without hesitation.

However a special word of thanks must go out to Heather @ Russell for arranging all the logistics and taking such good care of me.

THE RUSSELL:

The all leather, dual Russell is (like my 3 other Russell saddles) perfectly made, oozes quality and looks amazing on the bike (IMHO). The saddle requires around 1000km to break in, but honestly, i was comfortable from day 1. The only real drawback is that the seat is NOT waterproof. You have to schlep a cover around in case it begins to rain. Of course, this is a tiny price to pay for such comfort. Anyway, I think that the true test of a saddle is when the passenger comments on it. Here is Valerie’s review: “....all our future bikes MUST have a Russell seat - otherwise you’ll have to look for a new wifey :p

Enough said, i think!

*Note: Some shorter riders may find it very difficult to reach the ground at a stop due to the wings. But this can be overcome by sliding forward towards the tank when coming to a stop.

THE BACKREST:

A Pirates lair backrest

The backrest was sent straight to Russell in order to be recovered (matching leather)

The pirates lair backrest came recommended by many people & i can see why. It sits at exactly the right height (for Val at 5’ 6”), provides loads of support, never intrudes and has no hotspot after a long days ride (that is what Val tells me, anyway!)

Also, it is a major plus point that the backrest can be attached or taken off in a matter of seconds. The downside is that you lose the ability to install a rear box, even is the backrest is taken off (but the attachment plate stays on...)

Any backrest (pirates or otherwise) is a must have for anyone biker that cares for their passenger.

Here are some pictures of the Russell and pirates lair backrest:

475458419_nB6ZA-L.jpg

475458153_Dq4cB-L.jpg

475458161_ixbeJ-L.jpg

475458379_HZ4bG-L-1.jpg

THE CORBIN:

First of all, despite many comments to the contrary, Corbin's customer service was fast, efficient and friendly.

The Corbin, with its own base-pan is a heavy seat. Very heavy, in fact!

I found the saddle to be well made and a breeze to install. The leather is unblemished and feels excellent.

The glovebox/backrest is a fantastic feature, though i feel that for the price I paid for it – the quality should have been a tad better.

My first ride with the Corbin confirmed one thing: The Russell is the better saddle FOR ME & VAL. I am simply too tall for the Corbin & i feel that it forces me to sit too close to the tank (thereby squashing some vital areas :ph34r: ).

Seat height aside, i found the saddle to be quite comfortable for my bum and Valerie loved the cute little glovebox/backrest setup. She said it gave good support and looked beautiful on the bike. But she also confirmed that as a passenger, the Russell + pirates lair was the way to go.

By itself, the Corbin is a great seat & I’m sure that if Val would have never felt a Russell under her little tush then she would be perfectly happy. But when compared side-to-side and ride-to-ride, then there is simply no comparison. The Russell has the Corbin beat for both rider and passenger comfort (true for both daily commuting in dense traffic and long open-road trips).

Another thing I noticed was that bumps and road irregularities were transferred through the Corbin & onto the rider/passenger, where with the Russell seat the same bumps were absorbed easily and hidden from us. This phenomenon could be explained by the Corbin’s heavy, fibreglass base-pan.

Since writing this report, i have installed Ohlins (front springs + rear monoshock) and the same comments are still valid.

Here are some pictures of the Corbin:

475476965_dj3Dp-L.jpg

475476936_if57H-L.jpg

475478728_nvyas-L.jpg

475476941_NPkHn-L.jpg

If i get a lot of demand from you guys, i will install the Corbin and post some more pictures – so you can see how it looks when on the bike.

Of course my review is open to debate, as some will find the Corbin much more comfortable. But the conclusion here is that you won’t go wrong with either seat. It just comes down to the fact that if you have physical dimensions close to mine – the Russell will get you to your destination without any discomfort OR a shopping list of complaints from your riding partner :assassin:

Ride safe,

E & V

My same experience with Russell vs. Sargent. Wife loves the Russell, not so much for the Sargent. I could ride with either, but Russell would be my first choice.

I too have both & agree whole heartily with your assessment.

I use the Corbin for spirited day rides & the Russell for anything

longer...it's way more comfy for the long haul.

Thanks for the writeup.

I am in the process of deciding and am about to order a Corbin. I have Corbins on two of my other bikes. They have worked well for me. I'm a bit "inseam challenged" and, from what I've read, the Corbin will be the better choice. Also, I like how it looks on the bike.

I also tried the Yamaha Comfort/gel. It didn't work well enough for me and will be selling it.

Thanks for the writeup.
I am in the process of deciding and am about to order a Corbin. I have Corbins on two of my other bikes. They have worked well for me. I'm a bit "inseam challenged" and, from what I've read, the Corbin will be the better choice. Also, I like how it looks on the bike.

I also tried the Yamaha Comfort/gel. It didn't work well enough for me and will be selling it.
Yes, the Corbin will work well for those with a shorter inseam.

Remember that if you take the heated seat option, the elements will add about 1/2 inch to the seat height (i.e 1/2 inch higher than a corbin without the elements)

I highly recommend the backrest. With or without the glovebox, your passenger will thank you for it!

If i get a lot of demand from you guys, i will install the Corbin and post some more pictures – so you can see how it looks when on the bike.
Thank you for the excellent comparison. It is really helpful for those of us still wanting to purchase but can't decide or afford to purchase both. One question, Most of my riding is local, fun cruising around town and the beach. Would that the Russel still be a good choice for this kind of riding? I will in the future plan longer trips with me and my lady and want her to be as comfortable as humanly possible.

If it's not too much trouble, I would love to see pictures of the Corbin on the bike.

Thank you again,

- MAX

Thank you for the excellent comparison. It is really helpful for those of us still wanting to purchase but can't decide or afford to purchase both. One question, Most of my riding is local, fun cruising around town and the beach. Would that the Russel still be a good choice for this kind of riding? I will in the future plan longer trips with me and my lady and want her to be as comfortable as humanly possible.

If it's not too much trouble, I would love to see pictures of the Corbin on the bike.

Thank you again,

- MAX
I find that with the Russell, i sit a little higher & in a more commanding riding position. Personally, i feel that i am controlling and balancing the bike much better, especially during low speeds & lane splitting. So in that respect, yes - the Russell will be fine for both city AND long distance riding.

In the beginning i also thought that the Russell would be sort of a a compromise - great for long distance but so-so for daily commutes and stop/start traffic. But i was wrong :blink: Put a few miles on the seat and you'll find it perfect for every occasion. AGAIN, i'll say that the Corbin will serve you fine as well - but the little lady will simply adore the Russell and happily join you for every ride, be it a short commute or long tour.

I forgot to mention that i ride with the Russell in the low position/setting. Any higher and even with a 33" inseam i would struggle to put both feet flat on the floor.

Also, if you are considering long, long distance - i would think about getting a set of handlebar risers (to ease pressure from the lower back) and a pair of sliders (just in case!)

Regards,

E

What we really need is pics of your passenger!!

PS - The corbin back rest looks goofy to me...

Last edited by a moderator:
However a special word of thanks must go out to Heather @ Russell for arranging all the logistics and taking such good care of me.
If you ever get a chance to visit Russell you can meet Heather in person. She's just as nice in person, plus she's a major babe. We're talking cutie pie for sure. Sorry guys, no pix. You'll just have to do your own ride-in. ;)

Nice seat comparo too.

Thanks for the information and pictures ,,

I'm planning on ordering a Corbin about the end of the month,,,

I have been checking out other brands,, but I've had 4 Corbin's in the past ,,,

and have been happy with them,,,

plus I'm a bit short in the saddle ,, about 5' 10" ..

Good write -up...

if you get the time to post pics - i'd like to see the corbin on the bike.

also - now that you've run the evaluation - do you plan to keep the heated corbin set up - if not let me know.

thx/ al

Thanks for the information and pictures ,,
I'm planning on ordering a Corbin about the end of the month,,,

I have been checking out other brands,, but I've had 4 Corbin's in the past ,,,

and have been happy with them,,,

plus I'm a bit short in the saddle ,, about 5' 10" ..

Good write -up...
Do not let being short change your mind on the Russell, I am 5'7" and I am on the tip to the ball of my feet and still would not trade my seat for the Corbin. And yes I have sat on a Corbin seat, just do not think the level of comfort is equal. Besides Iam usually seating and riding more than I am standing in traffic or trying to move the bike around. I also recommend the heli bars they compliment eachother well plus the group buy is going on right now.

OK - for all those that wanted pictures of the Corbin....here they are:

476088376_9PZhM-L.jpg

476087868_8CUXK-L.jpg

476088090_bPvh8-L.jpg

476087847_qyru8-L.jpg

I have the Corbin. I like the looks of the Corbin better than the Russel. I was actually fine with the stock seat but my pillion rider wasn't. We're both happy now. I also have the Corbin on my VTX and love it.

Different seats for different seats

yep - the corbin looks very nice on the feej!

thanks for posting.

The Corbin is much better for spirited riding, if you like to move your butt around.

But I also happen to find it very comfy for long rides.

I'm a very happy Corbin owner, but understand the Russell is probably even more comfy. I just can't see how you can hang you butt off the side.......