• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FJR, Knight Riders License plate install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08FJR4ME

-WYNPRO-
Reaction score
Hey Gang,

Here is another project i just finished. If there is an interest for more i will post details.

[SIZE=14pt]06/14/09: See post #20 for details, Thanks[/SIZE]

FJR 1300 fabricated license plate made from 1/4 thick 6061-T6 aluminum plate.

With Knight Riderz light installed, add shrink tube to protect and hide visible wires better.

Also updated version.

I ran the wires through the same holes for the existing license plate light. I then removed side cover

and traced the cable back to the connector. I remove each pin and soldered the wires right to the pins.

I added shrink tube here also for strain relief. I then reinstalled the pin back into the connector.

(Do one at a time) I then tie rapped the excess cable.

Here is a some what lousy video on how they work. (Done with camera in video mode)

I can also provide with just the flash and then solid bright light without wigwag motion.

https://rides.webshots.com/video/3038797250105030702iuHAUp

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nice-looking and functional plate surround! I think I could justify a safety farkle....

But doesn't it basically nullify the original light, which is required by law to illuminate the plate?

That's a nice-looking and functional plate surround! I think I could justify a safety farkle....
But doesn't it basically nullify the original light, which is required by law to illuminate the plate?
Toe,

The plate still gets aluminated by the top light. (just checked) May not be as much as original but is still

lighted (70% my guess) If you remove the bracket with the side refletors and bolt directly to the plastic fender

the problem is solved totaly. The other solution may be to make a 1/4 spacer for the upper lite. I will have a

better idea when it's totaly dark out and check it for sure.

Dave

Looks good, and certainly would help the ass-end be more visible. You going into production?
Griff
Yes, and will have more details in a day or two. I just finished today and want to go over the #'s one more time. I have some made and want to see if i can do a little better on the paint.

The plate still gets aluminated by the top light. (just checked) May not be as much as original but is still lighted (70% my guess) If you remove the bracket with the side refletors and bolt directly to the plastic fender the problem is solved totally. The other solution may be to make a 1/4 spacer for the upper lite. I will have a better idea when it's totally dark out and check it for sure.
Just looked, don't even see a proper license plate light and the plate is lit from under the brake lights, so I'd just have to find some juice....

Toe,

The plate light on our 1st gens is as you say, lit from a clear plastic port under the running light. 2nd gens have a dedicated plate light hung on the fender.

Davey,

I like the plate surround and the light mount. I'd just want a flashing brake light without the night rider dealio. I'm sure the electronics that drive the LED are programmable that way, right?

timely, I have 2 of the non-sequential KR LED bars coming in the mail to me right now...

could you tool up an "FZ6" too?

Toe,
The plate light on our 1st gens is as you say, lit from a clear plastic port under the running light. 2nd gens have a dedicated plate light hung on the fender.

Davey,

I like the plate surround and the light mount. I'd just want a flashing brake light without the night rider dealio. I'm sure the electronics that drive the LED are programmable that way, right?
I can purchase either way

constant wigwag, bright flash then bright solid when brake is applied

low led light, bright flash then bright solid when brake is applied

timely, I have 2 of the non-sequential KR LED bars coming in the mail to me right now...
could you tool up an "FZ6" too?
Yes, I have some blanks which I can put whatever fits.

I know it's a bit "blingy", but I kinda like the KR idle array. It might kinda get the cagers' brains to start to pay attention to the brake lights, maybe...or mesmerize them into running me over....

I know it's a bit "blingy", but I kinda like the KR idle array. It might kinda get the cagers' brains to start to pay attention to the brake lights, maybe...or mesmerize them into running me over....

If you don't hear from me tomorrow it will be the latter! :ph34r:

I am interested in the solid running light and then the KR effect when brakes are applied.

Someone has to be diffcult; might as well be me.

Here is another project i just finished. If there is an interest for more i will post details.
FJR 1300 fabricated license plate made from 1/4 thick 6061-T6 aluminum plate.

Very nice, indeed!

Interested.

Recommendation: when you go for the production run, ;) please eliminate the gap between the 'R' and the '1'.... it is one word together: "FJR1300"

Would you be willing to offer an alternative design that has a mounting position for a second light bar below the plate instead of the "FJR1300" lettering? I spent some time making a custom bracket out of plexiglass for my last FJR to mount 2 of these around my license plate, then the bike got totalled 10 days later.

Day-time:

I think I would go without the wig-wag effect if I do it again.

The biggest pain I had when making my bracket was that the LED's are quite directional. They are only very bright within a narrow viewing angle, so I had to add a bit of an angle to the mounting sirfaces for the light bars to make them point straight back instead of a upward. Have you considered this with your design?

Would you be willing to offer an alternative design that has a mounting position for a second light bar below the plate instead of the "FJR1300" lettering? I spent some time making a custom bracket out of plexiglass for my last FJR to mount 2 of these around my license plate, then the bike got totalled 10 days later.
Day-time:

You can buy that at Custom Dynamics. The cool thing about this plate is that it says FJR on it.