New RIFLE Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-D

Reaction score
I received my new Rifle Windshield for my ’08 FJR and wanted to do a review for anyone that might be contemplating a new windshield themselves. Take into consideration my review is based on my personal statistics.

MY STATISTICS

Height: 6’4”

Weight: 260

Inseam: 35.5”

WINDSHIELD

Rifle +5 Tall +4 Width

Light Gray Tint

Cost: $244.00 + Shipping $27.50 = $271.50

Order to Receipt: 10 Days

www.rifle.com

HELMETS USED

Icon Domain 2 Mechanica

Arai SZ/Ram III

Shoei RF-1100 Hadron TC/6

The standard OEM totally sucks. I cannot think of one single thing I liked about it. It had to go.

Rating: 0/5 Stars

I purchased a Yamaha OEM Touring Windshield a month after buying my FJR. At first it seemed to be OK, but I became really tired of the buffeting and the excessive noise, even with ear-plugs or ear-buds when listening to music, I was required to keep the volume up all the way to overcome the noise. Regardless which of the three helmets listed below were used, the wind noise did not differ from one or the other. The buffeting, especially at higher speeds was really bad. When caught in rain, this windshield did little to offer protection from the weather, either coming from over the top or from around the sides. This windshield offered little protection from wind. Wind diversion was minimal. In warmer and hot temperatures, the airflow was fine, but the noise was still over bearing.

Rating: 2/5 Stars

Once I opened the box, gathered the necessary tools and laid out a place to set the windshields to protect from possible scratching, it took me about 20 minutes to remove the Touring windshield and install the Rifle windshield. The weather during my initial test was cloudy with sporadic rain and drizzle and the temperature ranged from 57 to 62 degrees.

I experienced an immediately difference as soon as I started down a residential street. At lower speeds of 35mph, I could hear all of the engine sound, with a slight wind sound noticeable. I raised the windshield two inches and all wind noise completely disappeared. Rain started falling almost immediately as I started riding, but because of the advanced angle of the Rifle, the rain slipped up and off as though it was being wiped off, yet still blew up and over my helmet. I turned onto the highway and accelerated to 60, 70 and then 90mph, trying the windshield in different positions. With the Rifle in the complete down position at speed, I experienced less than a third of the wind noise I had with previous windshields. Upon raising the Rifle about 2-3 inches all noise completely disappeared to where I could hear the whine of the motor. The FJR actually has a nice rich sound I could hear while riding I could never hear before. The rain was still falling down, but I was not getting any water on my visor or on my person from the sides or over the top. During the rain I had the Rifle adjusted to where I was looking over the top by 3 inches. Once the rain stopped I once again accelerated from a stop to 75mph with the Rifle in the total down position. I felt wind entering my helmet (Shoei RF-1100) through the vents, but the wind noise was minimal. Although I was not wearing ear buds or ear plugs, I felt confident I could have heard my music easily while riding at 75mph with the Rifle in the down position. I am also confident that even during my summer months when temperatures will exceed 117 degrees on a daily basis; this Rifle windshield will allow an abundant amount of airflow, without the noise, although in these temperatures, nothing short of air-conditioning will offer much relief. Because of the additional width, the Rifle did a very good job of protecting me from rain, from the sides as well as from over head. During my trial, I felt that if I were on a long trip, I would position the Rifle approximately 3 inches above bottom. At this height I will hear the whine of the engine, but the wind noise and buffeting will be 95% eliminated up to cruising speeds of 90mph. Not once did I feel it necessary to raise the Rifle all the way up. A total downpour might be the reason to ever do so!

The quality, fit, finish, physical appearance, ease of installation, construction and arrival condition was excellent. I preferred the light gray tint because it gives the windshield a cleaner look.

Rating: 5/5 Stars

I want to say thanks to Richard for suggesting a Rifle windshield to me in the first place! Money well spent.

Photographs Below

[SIZE=12pt]WINDSHIELD DOWN[/SIZE]

Rifle1.jpg
Rifle2.jpg
Rifle3.jpg
Rifle4.jpg
Rifle6.jpg
Rifle7.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]WINDSHIELD UP[/SIZE]

Rifle10.jpg
Rifle11.jpg
Rifle12.jpg
Rifle5.jpg
Rifle8.jpg
Rifle9.jpg

Excellent review! Thanks. :D

Now, did you try, or are you thinking of trying, the Rifle tuning blocks for the windscreen? Heck, now that I ask that, I cannot recall if they still make them these days.

I've read a few reports that the screen combined with the blocks really works well. Maybe the blocks don't work on the Gen II windscreen brackets...hmmm, simply cannot recall.

Good to hear Rifle is still on top of the game. Back in early 06 I prototyped the first Gen2 Rifle shield/tuning block for Gary. I still have *that same shield* 100k miles plus. Unbelievable. I ride almost every day, in harsh conditions. I give no quarter to my equipment, although I do heavy maintenance to keep things working. The Rifle has simply worked for me through desert sands, snow on Tehachapi, many dirt road miles, and well, you get the idea. This farkle gets the dcarver thumbs-up!

Wow! This is the type of review I have been looking for. Great job!! I have an 07 with the OEM touring windshield and I suffer from the same conditions you described so well. I'm 6'1", 195 lbs with a 34" inseam. I also ride with the Shoei RF-1100. Even with the windshield all the way up, the wind noise is so loud that I can't hear the engine. I have not even bothered to think about listening to music, as I doubt I could hear it very well. Another annoying issue with the Shoei is that, with the windshield all the way up, the wind hits it at just the right spot to cause a whistling noise that really starts to get on my nerves after a short time. So I have also been looking for an alternative windshield. Thanks for all the photos. I was planning on staying with a clear shield, but the tint on yours does look really nice. How does the rifle handle the wind structurally as compared to the Yamaha? I find that mine flexes a bit at high speeds and the top lip bounces a bit. This is not as much of a concern as long as I can get into the pocket and enjoy some silence on my long early morning rides. I know you got the +5 and was wondering if it actually seamed an inch taller than the Yamaha, which is a +4 or does the the shape make it seam taller or shorter?

Thanks again for taking the time to post your review.

Dave

Very well done post Big-D. Very useful. thanks for the eval. I'm definitely in the market down the road and appreciate the well thought out and detailed info you provide. I agree, the stock windshield sucks.

I should have mentioned the tuning blocks, but took it for granted everyone would have known about them. The Rifle windshield comes with the set of tuning blocks. In fact, I don't believe the Rifle would mount without them, at least on an FJR. I believe it is the additional slant of the windshield provided by the blocks and the gap between the Yamaha adjusting bracket and the windshield itself that eliminates any buffeting.

I know the Yamaha Touring shield is a +4, but the Rifle seems to be much taller with just the additional inch. My guess, the two different shields are measured differently. Plus the Rifle has a true +4 inches in width, which the Yamaha Touring shield does not.

I may as well add that the Rifle clears the mirrors. Nothing gets in the way. The Rifle design is perfect. It fits like a glove. I've seen some aftermarket shields that look too big or awkward on the FJR. Not so with the Rifle, it looks like it was designed by Yamaha it fits so good.

I can only speak for myself, but I had a real hard time trying to find a windshield to fit my size. After my test ride today, I know I can ride all day without being beat half to death by wind and noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Rifle shield as well. At 6' tall with a Penske shock and Russell seat I went 6" over. Without the Penske rear shock and without the Russell seat the 4" over was great. The pocket of quiet air behind the shield is just right for me. For me it was well worth the money.

I received my new Rifle Windshield for my ’08 FJR and wanted to do a review for anyone that might be contemplating a new windshield themselves. Take into consideration my review is based on my personal statistics.

MY STATISTICS

Height: 6’4”

Weight: 260

Inseam: 35.5”

WINDSHIELD

Rifle +5 Tall +4 Width

Light Gray Tint

Cost: $244.00 + Shipping $27.50 = $271.50

Order to Receipt: 10 Days

www.rifle.com

HELMETS USED

Icon Domain 2 Mechanica

Arai SZ/Ram III

Shoei RF-1100 Hadron TC/6

The standard OEM totally sucks. I cannot think of one single thing I liked about it. It had to go.

Rating: 0/5 Stars

I purchased a Yamaha OEM Touring Windshield a month after buying my FJR. At first it seemed to be OK, but I became really tired of the buffeting and the excessive noise, even with ear-plugs or ear-buds when listening to music, I was required to keep the volume up all the way to overcome the noise. Regardless which of the three helmets listed below were used, the wind noise did not differ from one or the other. The buffeting, especially at higher speeds was really bad. When caught in rain, this windshield did little to offer protection from the weather, either coming from over the top or from around the sides. This windshield offered little protection from wind. Wind diversion was minimal. In warmer and hot temperatures, the airflow was fine, but the noise was still over bearing.

Rating: 2/5 Stars

Once I opened the box, gathered the necessary tools and laid out a place to set the windshields to protect from possible scratching, it took me about 20 minutes to remove the Touring windshield and install the Rifle windshield. The weather during my initial test was cloudy with sporadic rain and drizzle and the temperature ranged from 57 to 62 degrees.

I experienced an immediately difference as soon as I started down a residential street. At lower speeds of 35mph, I could hear all of the engine sound, with a slight wind sound noticeable. I raised the windshield two inches and all wind noise completely disappeared. Rain started falling almost immediately as I started riding, but because of the advanced angle of the Rifle, the rain slipped up and off as though it was being wiped off, yet still blew up and over my helmet. I turned onto the highway and accelerated to 60, 70 and then 90mph, trying the windshield in different positions. With the Rifle in the complete down position at speed, I experienced less than a third of the wind noise I had with previous windshields. Upon raising the Rifle about 2-3 inches all noise completely disappeared to where I could hear the whine of the motor. The FJR actually has a nice rich sound I could hear while riding I could never hear before. The rain was still falling down, but I was not getting any water on my visor or on my person from the sides or over the top. During the rain I had the Rifle adjusted to where I was looking over the top by 3 inches. Once the rain stopped I once again accelerated from a stop to 75mph with the Rifle in the total down position. I felt wind entering my helmet (Shoei RF-1100) through the vents, but the wind noise was minimal. Although I was not wearing ear buds or ear plugs, I felt confident I could have heard my music easily while riding at 75mph with the Rifle in the down position. I am also confident that even during my summer months when temperatures will exceed 117 degrees on a daily basis; this Rifle windshield will allow an abundant amount of airflow, without the noise, although in these temperatures, nothing short of air-conditioning will offer much relief. Because of the additional width, the Rifle did a very good job of protecting me from rain, from the sides as well as from over head. During my trial, I felt that if I were on a long trip, I would position the Rifle approximately 3 inches above bottom. At this height I will hear the whine of the engine, but the wind noise and buffeting will be 95% eliminated up to cruising speeds of 90mph. Not once did I feel it necessary to raise the Rifle all the way up. A total downpour might be the reason to ever do so!

The quality, fit, finish, physical appearance, ease of installation, construction and arrival condition was excellent. I preferred the light gray tint because it gives the windshield a cleaner look.

Rating: 5/5 Stars

I want to say thanks to Richard for suggesting a Rifle windshield to me in the first place! Money well spent.

Photographs Below

[SIZE=12pt]WINDSHIELD DOWN[/SIZE]

Rifle1.jpg
Rifle2.jpg
Rifle3.jpg
Rifle4.jpg
Rifle6.jpg
Rifle7.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]WINDSHIELD UP[/SIZE]

Rifle10.jpg
Rifle11.jpg
Rifle12.jpg
Rifle5.jpg
Rifle8.jpg
Rifle9.jpg
Great write up Big D, very helpful. I have 2 questions. have you tested it at all with a passenger as I understand sometimes though good for the pilot is not working for the passenger?? My other question is actually about the top case. Is that the SEARS/JC Whitney trunk?? I just ordered one and am curious what do you think of it??

Great write up Big D, very helpful. I have 2 questions. have you tested it at all with a passenger as I understand sometimes though good for the pilot is not working for the passenger?? My other question is actually about the top case. Is that the SEARS/JC Whitney trunk?? I just ordered one and am curious what do you think of it??

Was curious if you've noticed any impact on your gas mileage?

My wife is a chicken and will not ride on the FJR because she thinks its a "crotch-rocket". She did ride on my '95 Goldwing, but it was plush and didn't scare her. Oh well, what can I say? So to answer your question, I have no idea how a passenger would like or dislike the Rifle. In my situation, my wife is only 5'2", so she would be totally swallowed up behind me if she did ride, so I don't think she would feel much regardless of the windshield I was using. I am only guessing.

I have not ridden long enough or far enough to determine my mileage change, if any with the Rifle. However, on the open road I generally run about 90mph and get between 40-42mpg. BUT, any loss in mpg would be a price well paid for the elimination of the noise and buffeting I was experiencing. I will guess that because the wind and buffeting that has been eliminated, my mileage will probably improve because I am in more of a slip-stream with the air going over my body which was catching more air than my previous shield. Time will tell!

Yes, my trunk is a $79 JC Whitney. I did not use the steel underneath bracket it came with for mounting. Instead I also bought the Yamaha EOM trunk mount and used the Yamaha and the JC Whitney (without the steel brackets) using carriage-bolt through the bottom of the Yamaha mount through the JC Whitney, then ground off excess bolt and made smooth. It is very secure, comes off very easy to take into hotel room without unpacking, is completely water tight even under high-pressure washer. Some people have even painted them very successfully. It works for me and it was cheap. I just can't see $500+ for a Givi including bracket. If this one breaks, I will throw it away and buy another. But so far, it has survived without a hitch. It will only hold one (of mine) full-face helmet laid on its side. I also mounted a total of 6 stainless steel marine brackets to attach bungee cords to, in order to carry more shit (i.e. sleeping bag) and to run bungee cords around stuff I lay across the rear seat without having to scratch anything on the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the detailed write up. I was swaying between a Rifle and a CB with the flip.

I am 6 8", do you think I'll get good enough coverage with the +5 height or should I go with a custom size to add another inch?

QUOTE (Big-B @ Apr 23 2010, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the detailed write up. I was swaying between a Rifle and a CB with the flip.
I am 6 8", do you think I'll get good enough coverage with the +5 height or should I go with a custom size to add another inch?
Talk with the people at Rifle and see what they suggest. I'll bet they suggest at least a +7. At 6' tall with a Russell seat, the bike raised in the rear with a Penske shock I have a +6. It is perfect sitting upright with cruise control at 80+ mph in heavy traffic. At slower speeds in light traffic I run the Rifle with less than full extension.

I like the shape of the Rifle the best, but I cant get used to the look of that angle adapter that must be used. I have the same issues that you describe with the Yamaha Touring Shield and I am still looking around. Probably try a Cee Bailey, but cant get a handle on what size I should order. It's a little frustrating. JRH08FJR

i to am in the market for a windshield and had decided on the v stream

that is untill i saw this post

im wondering how the v stream and the rifle compare now

the rifle is somewhat of a barn door on the front but the comfort level behind it sounds to be what im looking for on the longer rides

I contacted Rifle on Friday and they said to order the +5 and give it a shot. If it doesn't work return it for a custom height. Hopefully, that will make it before May 12 for the camping trip in NC.

i think most of us are after a sheild that still retains the looks and at the same time offers a practical improvement over the OEM.I still have the original which came with the bike and have never used it.Fitted when i purchased the bike was a Givi which is substantually taller. I to would like to try others to find a sceren that suits my physique and find that sweet spot we are all looking for.Thanks for the review FASTPAPPY. Some interesting stuff there. Thanks to you also for adding your helmet types and you vital stats.

Gazza

i think most of us are after a sheild that still retains the looks and at the same time offers a practical improvement over the OEM.I still have the original which came with the bike and have never used it.Fitted when i purchased the bike was a Givi which is substantually taller. I to would like to try others to find a sceren that suits my physique and find that sweet spot we are all looking for.Thanks for the review FASTPAPPY. Some interesting stuff there. Thanks to you also for adding your helmet types and you vital stats.Gazza
That review was by Big D I also applaud the detail. :D