New RIFLE Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the rifle mother of all windshields for my 04 way back and have loved it. Can't remember the demensions and except for my friends who keep telling me I am driving a Buick it is great.They shut up when we are in the rain. just got a russell seat so it will be interesting to see how it works now.

I have a 2005 model. Biggest complaint I have had is the wind noise. Now have a V Stream. Definite improvement over stock, but not perfect. Biggest noise reduction occurs when I look thru vs over the windshield. So , my question to Big D and rfulcher is: are you looking over or thru the windshield in the most quiet position?

I do not like looking through my windshield. Actually the proper alignment is to lay something in front of your bike about 50 feet away. While sitting on your bike, you should be looking over the top to see whatever it was you laid on the ground 50 feet in front of you.

To answer your question, the most I raise my Rifle windshield is about 3 inches from bottom. I do not ever see a need to raise it any higher. The wind blows over my helmet, whereas any buffeting is practically gone with it raised 3". I am looking over by about 3 inches. If needed, I have another three or more inches to go before my windshield would be all the way in the up position.

At first I was a little concerned about my extreme heat in the summer. But today reached 101 degrees and with the Rifle all the down, the air comes over my shield and hits directly in the vents of my helmet. It works great to keep air flowing through the helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree; do not like looking thru the shield. So haven't been amused when the wind noise / turbulence on a "faired" bike is no better than my "naked" bikes. I have been thru the stock 04, +2? Yamaha screen, now with V stream. I can live with it, but not optimal. Buy a Rifle and hope? LOL. Time to ebay some of the others sitting in my basement.

I like the Rifle because it works for me. And I think it looks good on the FJR. The so-called tuning blocks serve to angle the windshield more towards the rider and create an additional 3/4" gap between the windshield and the body of the bike. Standing off the bike you don't even notice the blocks. The only time you see them is when seated and then I don't see where they look bad. They look a little different only because you're not yet used to the difference in appearance. However, once underway and you can hear the whine of the engine for the first time since owning it at any speed. That in itself makes me happy. I like being able to hear the motor, that way should it act differently, you're pick up on it immediately.

Having this new found quite makes riding the FJR more fun. The noise and buffeting of the Touring shield almost made me consider getting rid of it, it became so annoying. I don't need ear plugs any longer and I won't go deaf. My music sounds so much better now.

I posted this personal review because the Rifle made such an immediate change for the better and wanted to share what I had been waiting to discover for so long...........peace!! If anyone finds a windshield that works for them, by all means buy it at almost any cost. Your ears will thank you and so will your freedom to enjoy the ride.

Its kind of like you are watching the best movie you've seen in a long time and some little bastard is screaming in your ear throughout the entire thing. And then that little shit finally gets his ass thrown out and everyone in the place cheers. HOORAY!!

Just Saying! :rolleyes:

WINDSHIELDRifle +5 Tall +4 Width
How did you come about determining the +5 tall, +4 wide?
I was in Monterey, CA on a ride with a bunch of other forum members this past March and during a conversation, Richard "Fairlaner" mentioned, "you should get yourself a Rifle wind screen, it'll be the best investment you can make to improve your ride". Since Richard is a bit shorter than I am and he had bought a +3, I decided upon the +5. Actually, at 6'4", I might have done fine with a +3 because I have no need to raise my +5 all the way up to achieve the result I was looking for. There is no cost difference between the two sizes, so the +5 works just fine and I have it if I ever need it. And because of the standard +4 in width, the additional two inches in height (might) look better to coincide with the wider width. As hard as it is, I will admit he was right!

Timely post. Narrowed the shield choices to V-Stream and Rifle. I'm 6'2 with a 35 inch inseam and wife is 5'6 so probably need a +3 or 4. Hope you Rifle owners that ride with a passenger can chime in and give us the low down on passenger comfort. I did see a review on the V-Stream that said passenger comfort was very good.

I just was answering a question from CRMH Eagle about Rifle sizing last night

I am 6' 0" with a 32" inseam. I ride with the stock seat in the lower position. I have the Rifle +3" tall +4" wide screen. I ride with the screen almost all the way up and am still looking over the screen as mentioned by Big-D. In the windscreen in all the way down position, I get plenty of air on the face, but little to nothing on my chest (and I almost never ride that way, I prefer quieter so shield up and visor open (RF-1000). I'm in Sunny SoCal and ride year-round with an Aerostich Road-crafter 2-piece. Anyone taller than I, I would recommend considering at least the Rifle +5" and quite possibly a custom length even taller than that.

The reason I have the rifle is the silly flip screen (sorry I see flip as being a bad idea .... my thoughts are actually much bit stronger) on the Gen I Concours made for terrible buffeting for my wife (5' 2"). So, the Rifle makes a huge difference for the pillion. Before buying my FJR last year, I test rode a buddies with the Vstream. Way too much buffeting in my mid section and for pillion. Rider and pillion agree that thw Rifle is excellent on teh Gen II FJR as well.

Not that I have tried others. But the optical quality and construction of the Rifle is something I've used now for over 15 years on 2 bikes, and is worth the money, in my opinion (then again, I'm cheap and I did find my Rifle for the FJR in new condition (used) on Craigslist). That said, if this gets scratched and dinged from rocks, or broken for whatever reason, I won't hesitate to pay full price direct from Rifle for a replacement.

For those thinking about a screen, be sure to consider not only some of our comments but also your preferences for looking thru vs over screen, amount of wind blast on upper-body, riding gear and helmet, etc - all impact which screen will work for some while not others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am surprised this thread has survived as long as it has. This tells me there are a bunch of you that are unhappy with the windshield (windscreen) you currently use. Lets face it, the wind noise generated by an FJR with a stock or OEM Touring shield is unbearable. I mean it really and absolutely sucks to the point the annoyance takes away a lot of the joy or riding. At least for us taller folks and at speed. I enjoy hearing the sound of my motor, not only on my bike but my cars also. If you have a shield that works for you, you are doing good. But like the life of this thread indicates, having protection from buffeting and wind noise doubles or triples the enjoyment of traveling on two wheels.

I for one took the chance on a Rifle and am glad I did.

I am surprised this thread has survived as long as it has. This tells me there are a bunch of you that are unhappy with the windshield (windscreen) you currently use. Lets face it, the wind noise generated by an FJR with a stock or OEM Touring shield is unbearable. I mean it really and absolutely sucks to the point the annoyance takes away a lot of the joy or riding. At least for us taller folks and at speed. I enjoy hearing the sound of my motor, not only on my bike but my cars also. If you have a shield that works for you, you are doing good. But like the life of this thread indicates, having protection from buffeting and wind noise doubles or triples the enjoyment of traveling on two wheels.
I for one took the chance on a Rifle and am glad I did.
You are right about both the stock shields (short and tall). I am tall like you and they were both unbearable with respect to buffeting. The noise was a secondary issue for me.

I currently have a Cal-sci xx-large and am quite happy with it, however, looking at what you have has got me thinking. The tilting back of the windshield that Rifle has done really makes a huge difference. I did the same on mine with a little bit of mickey mousing.

By the way, nice reporting.

Yep, the stock 'shield isn't good, but has anyone ever had a bike with a quiet OE windshield? I suspect this is one area where the stylists get final say over the engineers.

I'll probably end up getting a Rifle someday (just close my eyes and drain my wallet - again!) but for now I'm having good luck with a Laminar Lip on the OE shield. All the input on the Rifle has been helpful and there seems to be a significant number of happy Riflemen (and Riflewomen?) Thanx!

pete

Wow...never heard so much GOOD about a shield! I had the impression, it was a toss-up between the CalSci & V-Stream for favorites status. I'm surprised no one's mentioned the G.W. Bailey shield in this thread.

797.gif

You monkeys must have all run out and ordered one . . . a day before me. I placed my order ten days ago and it just went into production this morning. Should get it Tuesday or Wednesday -- about 2 1/2 weeks from order to delivery.

You monkeys must have all run out and ordered one . . . a day before me. I placed my order ten days ago and it just went into production this morning. Should get it Tuesday or Wednesday -- about 2 1/2 weeks from order to delivery.

Based upon the excellent review by BIG D, I ordered one for my 09 FJR on Sunday, Initially ordered a Medium Bronze as I thought it would look nice(Based upon the model on their website) and would give the bike color some contrast. After talking with the person from rifle, she suggested that the majority of FJR riders order Light Gray as the Bronze tint maybe difficult to see thru during night riding so I changed my order.. Guess I would like to have functionality over style.

Initially ordered a Medium Bronze as I thought it would look nice(Based upon the model on their website) and would give the bike color some contrast. After talking with the person from rifle, she suggested that the majority of FJR riders order Light Gray as the Bronze tint maybe difficult to see thru during night riding so I changed my order.. Guess I would like to have functionality over style.
PHHfft

I've been riding with the Medium Bronze for almost 15 years. I ride year round so come winter time, I get to lane-split on my way home every night in the dark {gets fun when its raining as well}

My position is to look over the shield, not thru it. So its' darkness isn't a factor. I prefere the glare reduction that comes from the tint.

YMMV based on age, eye condition, shield to eye position etc, but for my 40-something eyes Medium bronze is not that dark, even at night. So I have functionality and style

Rifle has had good custome service as well (couple of years ago, after breaking my Concours Rifle screen just before Christmas, a communication snafu between my wife and father resulted in my getting 2 replacement windscreens. Rifle took one back without a problem, no restocking fee (that I recall, could be wrong), all I did was pay return shipping (fair as it wasn't their mistake). So check if they will let you get the Medium Bronze and check it out, and i too dark for you, exchange it for the Light Gray.

I've read much on different windshields over the last couple of weeks. Many like their Tall Yamaha, V-Stream, Cee Bailey, Rifle and others. However, many have said they are not completely satisfied as well and switch to other screens. I don't think I've found a single instance where a Rifle owner switched to a different screen or said he wished he'd got a (fill in the blank) instead.

Initially ordered a Medium Bronze as I thought it would look nice(Based upon the model on their website) and would give the bike color some contrast. After talking with the person from rifle, she suggested that the majority of FJR riders order Light Gray as the Bronze tint maybe difficult to see thru during night riding so I changed my order.. Guess I would like to have functionality over style.
PHHfft

I've been riding with the Medium Bronze for almost 15 years. I ride year round so come winter time, I get to lane-split on my way home every night in the dark {gets fun when its raining as well}

My position is to look over the shield, not thru it. So its' darkness isn't a factor. I prefere the glare reduction that comes from the tint.

YMMV based on age, eye condition, shield to eye position etc, but for my 40-something eyes Medium bronze is not that dark, even at night. So I have functionality and style

Rifle has had good custome service as well (couple of years ago, after breaking my Concours Rifle screen just before Christmas, a communication snafu between my wife and father resulted in my getting 2 replacement windscreens. Rifle took one back without a problem, no restocking fee (that I recall, could be wrong), all I did was pay return shipping (fair as it wasn't their mistake). So check if they will let you get the Medium Bronze and check it out, and i too dark for you, exchange it for the Light Gray.

DOOH.. Should have gone with my first impression (Meduim Bronze).. Well when I receive the Lt. Gray will try it out.. According to Rifle I can always exchange for another color..

Mark

Hell, I should win a prize! A picture of Bust with his flock would be suitable for framing!!