New RIFLE Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Rifle windshield arrived Thursday, 18 days after placing the order. Tried that puppy out this morning . . . nice!

I'm 5'11, 32" inseam. Sit fairly upright with the Heli triple clamp and risers. Was using the Yamaha touring windshield, which provided a horrible experience at 50+ miles per hour; very noisy. With the wind/noise, it was getting to where the idea of a longer ride at speed seemed more like work than fun.

I purchased the Rifle +5 +4, clear. I actually prefer the look of the clear windshield and looking through a clear windshield, using sunglasses when needed for sun/glare.

My experience pretty much echoes others'. I found the Rifle to be a vast improvement over the Yamaha touring windshield. With the Rifle raised all the way, even at 75-80 MPH, I didn't notice much of a difference in noise when I opened and closed the top vents on my Shoei RF-1000, and that was a really significant point for me. Obviously, I didn't have as much airflow through the helmet vents as I did when I lowered the windshield a bit, but there was still enough airflow inside the helmet to notice a difference. And regarding what others say about finally hearing the engine . . . yep, that's now the primary sound with wind being second. Hey, after two years, now I know I like the sound of this bike!

With the Rifle raised all the way, I am looking through it, not over it. Sitting comfortably upright, there's maybe 1 1/2 - 2" to the top from my direct line of sight. I prefer to not look through it, but I notice enough of a difference in noise and a little bit of difference in wind that I'll keep looking through the windshield at speed as opposed to lowering it. With my speed below 50, though, I can lower the Rifle below my line of sight and still have a far more comfortable and quiet ride than I did with the Yamaha touring windshield.

It's not exactly like you're within Maxwell Smart's Cone of Silence, but there is a terrific improvement in noise and wind reduction. I'm back to enjoying this bike out on the highway. For me, it was well worth the money spent.

Only thing I'd change/add would be a cover over the Yamaha windshield mount frame, which is left underneath the Rifle windshield with a very unfinished look. Appears that it will be a great place for bug guts to accumulate. Seems like it'd be possible to create a cut/sized/painted cover that could be screwed into the unused hole. Heck, may be a business opportunity for someone, given all the windshields we've bought from them in the last month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just received the Rifle +5+4 for my 07. I'm 6'2, 34-35 inch inseam and sitting on a Russell Day Long on the low setting seat adjustment. I'm surprised to see that I'm looking through the shield at the highest setting. When I sit up with perfectly straight posture I'm just barely looking over the edge but I tend to slump a bit. In the lowest setting I'm looking well over the shield which is perfect. I'm thinking of sending it back to get a +3 but now I'm questioning if there would be any benefit. There might even be times during very cold or rainy weather that looking through the shield would be welcome......I've noticed that its pretty quiet in that position as well. It seems that possibly the only advantage to going to a shorter shield would be more air flow in the low position which would be welcome on warmer days but I plan on using the stocker in warm weather anyway.....(I'm one of the few that thinks the stock shield is very good fair weather shield). The one advantage I could see going to a lower shield is that I'm looking over the shield in the full up position which would be almost vertical and therefore less air going under the shield (perfect for cold weather). What do you guys and gals think? Does my "too tall" shield give me more options than a shorter shield?

I put a custom Rifle on my '05, and it was superb for about 165K miles. My request was to make it as tall and wide as they could (+8"? Don't recall). I am about 6'2" tall, 240 lbs., sitting on a Russell Day Long. The shield is very strong, provides great weather protection, and delivery was quick, for a reasonable price. It would flex downward a bit at higher speeds, but in a very predictable and stable manner. No problems, not a single chip or crack, including substantial off-road and off-pavement use, through flying gravel from opposing traffic, and at least one 30+ mph landing on pavement from a height of about 3-4 feet. The shield outlasted the bike.

Rifle makes an excellent product and backs it up with service. They are my first choice for a shield on my next FJR, even though they do not sponsor me.

John Ryan

"There's Absolutely No Excuse for the Way I'm About to Act"

https://longerfasterstronger.wordpress.com

I put a custom Rifle on my '05, and it was superb for about 165K miles. My request was to make it as tall and wide as they could (+8"? Don't recall). I am about 6'2" tall, 240 lbs., sitting on a Russell Day Long. The shield is very strong, provides great weather protection, and delivery was quick, for a reasonable price. It would flex downward a bit at higher speeds, but in a very predictable and stable manner. No problems, not a single chip or crack, including substantial off-road and off-pavement use, through flying gravel from opposing traffic, and at least one 30+ mph landing on pavement from a height of about 3-4 feet. The shield outlasted the bike.

Rifle makes an excellent product and backs it up with service. They are my first choice for a shield on my next FJR, even though they do not sponsor me.

John Ryan

Look through it at full up?

Look through it at full up?
No, but I set the top edge just below eye level, which is only an inch or three above full down. I've never used it full up, don't like looking through the screen. All that extra height gives a lot of coverage with the screen at a lower angle, giving cleaner airflow for quiet and fuel economy without sacrificing weather protection.

John

I agree with Mr. Ryan, the Rifle is a great shield and Gary is top notch. My 06 was the test mule, so I got a 'free' custom shield for them having my bike for several weeks. 140k plus later, the shield still looks and wears great.

Oh, be sure to to get suspension and seat work done first before purchasing the shield - it will affect the height of shield needed.

Just curious I understand how the seat would affect the required height of the shield but how would the suspension affect it ?? :dribble:

I too am a happy Rifle customer. I'm 6'2" with a 35" inseam. I e mailed Rifle and they recommended the +5 +4, and it works great! Makes an unbelievable difference, what everybody else said! I don't look through the screen, even full up.

After seeing RaYzerman's at CFR I decided it was time for a switch. I have +8+4 in the back of my truck as we speak - can't wait to put it on when we get home. If it is a hair too tall I figure it will be easy to cut it down slightly. I didn't think the +5 was going to do it for me as I'm 6'4" and 32" sitting on a Russell seat in the up position and with a Penske rear shock.

After seeing RaYzerman's at CFR I decided it was time for a switch. I have +8+4 in the back of my truck as we speak - can't wait to put it on when we get home. If it is a hair too tall I figure it will be easy to cut it down slightly. I didn't think the +5 was going to do it for me as I'm 6'4" and 32" sitting on a Russell seat in the up position and with a Penske rear shock.
If you think yours is too tall, I have a +5+4, and would be interested in trading. I'm 6'5 with a 32" inseam, and I need a little more.

I'm 6' and 32 inseam, and based on all the previous postive reviews, I got the +5 + 4, medium bronze, and gee it looked like a barn door in front of me at first. That only took 2 days to get out of my system as I learned where I wanted it. The Rifle secret is in the tuning blocks, the width with the straight sides and the extra curve. I was going to get custom earplugs, debating whether 25db was too much to allow me to hear my music in my helmet. The Rifle now lets me run without earplugs on occasion, although I want something to dull out the balance shaft gear whine. So, I'm going to get 15 db earplugs.

I also have the Baker Air Wings to either deflect cold air out or bring cold air in when it' hot. Raise the screen 2-3" and I get lots of air on the bottom. If it rains, just put it up a bit. I still look over it, and wouldn't want it any taller or shorter.

I love this thing!! Glad you're happy too, Dave. Forget all the rest, just get one.

An alternative is the California Scientific windshield. I'm 5 ft 8 and bought their medium. Just finished a 3000 mile trip and it worked superbly. I like being able to choose between look thru and look over.

Bill

I would like to thank Big D for the superb photos in his post. In my never ending quest to make my 08 all weather comfortable I have ordered a rifle +5+4. Have run rifles on my C-10 connies for years and have one on my current 04 connie, hope it works as well for me on the FJR cause I love this bike.

Ordered a 3+4 this week. Seems the consensus is the Rifle so I will give it a try. I told myself I wasn't going to start on the wind shield perfectionism but I did anyway. I hope you guys know what you are talking about! I would love a quieter ride without buffeting.

Ordered a 3+4 this week. Seems the consensus is the Rifle so I will give it a try. I told myself I wasn't going to start on the wind shield perfectionism but I did anyway. I hope you guys know what you are talking about! I would love a quieter ride without buffeting.
I'm betting you'll like it, my rifle did away with virtually all buffeting. Let us know what you think, after install and test ride!

Ok I'll take the Cheese, it's only money.

I have had a Cal-Sci Shield on my 2007 for over a year and have not been totally satisfied.

Feeling there was a better alternative, I sat back and enjoyed the forums.

This review caused me to get involved. I just submitted my order for a +5 / +4.

Hope this is the answer, if it is I'll have something to sell in the classified section.

If not the search goes on.....

Got the shield a few days ago and installed it this evening. Initial opinion after a quick local ride is it does all everyone said it would.

What I don't like is the gap at caused by the Angle Optimizer. That could take some getting use to, but if it performs well at speed, what gap..

I will report back after a more extensive ride.