Sliders - To cut or not to cut?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger55

Reaction score
I'm getting a 2005 FJR. I would like to put sliders on it. I have read my two options is a kit that has a triangular brace that doesn't require cutting a hole in the faring or a simpler(?) method that requires a hole drilled in the side. Any recommendations or suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on brands?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, seeing as I didn't get mine on right away, and of course, dropped it in the parking lot. It was easy to justify the drill ones. They went exactly where the marks from the pavement were. <_< Oh and they were half the price.

My first '04...sliders from Bike Johnny (cut the fairing kind).

CFRTOEOM047.jpg

My second '04...came with the bike...the bracket kind.

DAY12009CFR001.jpg

I think the first sliders are placed in a better spot on the bike to prevent damage (IMO)...but some might say that by cutting your fairing...you are damaging your plastic.

I don't agree with this...my first set of sliders worked very well in protecting the fairing plastic in my Arkansas slide

mt%20view%2008%20006.jpg

...until the bike went off the road and did an endo into the ditch and messed up the front end. :(

I've had both--the make-a-hole type on my first '05, bracket kind on no. 2. I agree that the placement of the first pair--with the drilled fairing--seems to be in a better spot when you look at the bike and picture what will hit first if it falls over. And realistically, the benefit of sliders, IMO, is protection from minor damage in a tip-over. If you go over on the road, with the sliding and the bumping and the grinding, the result is going to be at least a little ugly, no matter which style you have mounted.

My second bike came--used of course--with the sliders I now have. I installed the first set myself and it was very simple. In fact, simpler than the bracket style ones, since there was no fairing removal involved (and you know what a PITA fairing removal is). I just located the proper mounting bolt by eye and drilled a small hole. Probably missed the exact center by a little bit, but the hole you end up with is the same diameter as the puck itself, so by the time I gradually enlarged the initial hole with the dremel, it was centered just fine. You just take a lttle bit, re-fit, take a little more. Anybody can do it and do a good job with a little care.

By the way, if FJR #2 had been without sliders when I got it, I'd have drilled and cut for the second set too. Good luck.

I went with the Motovation sliders that are no cut. I didn't want to cut the fairing, and I liked the idea of the bracket sharing the impact across two points!

I started with Top Gun Tip-over-guards, which were only about 30 bucks. Then up-graded once I got over the sticker price!

Go with the hole in the fairing. Better protection, stronger location.

Only downside is having to remove the slider to remove the fairing. No big deal. You can't see the hole in the fairing, so why worry about a hole in the fairing. No one is going to look at your bike and go, "OMG!!!!!!! You DAMAGED your plastic!!!!!!!"

Cheaper, too.

I also have the no cut Motovations. Quality stuff. I didn't want to cut a hole in the fairing either. Probably would have screwed that up royaly. ;)

GP

I'm getting a 2005 FJR. I would like to put sliders on it. I have read my two options is a kit that has a triangular brace that doesn't require cutting a hole in the faring or a simpler(?) method that requires a hole drilled in the side. Any recommendations or suggestions?

Roger55,

I did the cut method, direct mount slider and am very happy with the look and IMHO better (i.e. stronger mount) location. I'm just up the road in La Grange if you want to see how they look in person. One mounting tip is that, (yes, I did remove the lower fairings to mount them) I set up a laser pointer in the mounting hole, replaced the fairing and marked/drilled where the laser pointer was indexed. Worked good for me.

Roger55,

I did the cut method, direct mount slider and am very happy with the look and IMHO better (i.e. stronger mount) location. I'm just up the road in La Grange if you want to see how they look in person. One mounting tip is that, (yes, I did remove the lower fairings to mount them) I set up a laser pointer in the mounting hole, replaced the fairing and marked/drilled where the laser pointer was indexed. Worked good for me.
That sounds like a pretty good way to mark it. I think I am going to go with the cut method.

R & G racing from BikeJohnny (now out of business unfortunately) and cut the fairing for me. But that was back in 2002 when that seemed to be the only option. I'd do it again though. Worked well on a low-side 2 years later.

My bike came with the combo slider/hiway pegs that required drilling. Not sure where they came from, but I like them. I do use the hiway pegs on long trips.

Last edited by a moderator: