Just traded my Harley for a FJR!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bababang

Reaction score
OK

So I just traded my 2005 harley Road Glide for a 2009 FJR AE oldstock. It feels great, not sure what I was thinking when I bought the Harley, well, I liked the RG but it just didn't work for my riding style.

Well, right now I feel good about the decision going with a "clutchless" AE model. I know they have been discontinued for 2012 but my first impressions are positive with the performance factor, sure it lacks a common riding "feel" but at the same time it has a new "feel" I've never experienced before. Could be this is ahead of its time and although unpopular with many riders, I like the snap response (.2 seconds) on the AE.

Now, that I'm a FJR owner, I'll be on this forum more, so here are some questions hopefully someone can help support.

The stock windshield is too short, I'm 6'1" and need something taller, suggestions?

I would like opinions on the best solution or product out there for bluetooth or listening to my fav mp3's

Need a good solution for Cruise control.

thanks

OK

So I just traded my 2005 harley Road Glide for a 2009 FJR AE oldstock. It feels great, not sure what I was thinking when I bought the Harley, well, I liked the RG but it just didn't work for my riding style.

Well, right now I feel good about the decision going with a "clutchless" AE model. I know they have been discontinued for 2012 but my first impressions are positive with the performance factor, sure it lacks a common riding "feel" but at the same time it has a new "feel" I've never experienced before. Could be this is ahead of its time and although unpopular with many riders, I like the snap response (.2 seconds) on the AE.

Now, that I'm a FJR owner, I'll be on this forum more, so here are some questions hopefully someone can help support.

The stock windshield is too short, I'm 6'1" and need something taller, suggestions?

I would like opinions on the best solution or product out there for bluetooth or listening to my fav mp3's

Need a good solution for Cruise control.

thanks
You are in the right place. Lots of information here. Be sure to get to the Bin o facts and Never ending pointless recurring threads. I use a throttlemeister for cruise. Where are you?

Joe

Welcome. The stock windscreen never suited me either. I cut 6" off of mine and use it as a summer screen. I have a V Stream (aka Barn Door) screen that I use in the cooler months and I like it. Others have had success with Cee Baileys and Rifle.

I'm 6'2" and dicked around with a few screens before biting the bullet and going for the priciest option, the Rifle. I suppose it's the tuning block, but it's really the only way to go. Really.

Also a Throttlemeister man.

Welcome aboard, you will soon forget about the clutch completely, It took me a few tanks of gas to get there, but no regrets!

Where are you from?

MP3.. I built the JM Audio BT into my headset (single rider set up). I can take a call at highway speed as well as listen to tunes. I prefer in ear headphone for longer rides, and use the speakers for daily commuting.

HERE is an example to best search this forum

Cee Bailey, Rifle, VStream, Cal Sci, Givi, etc...

I have a Cal Sci +4. LOve it in the colder months, I got back to the stock in the summer. If I tried another, it would probably be a Cee Bailey Flip

Let the farkling begin ;)

Sorry I didn't answer the wind shield question before. I have a Cal Sci Large (+3.5") on mine. It was on when I bought it so I don't have eny experience with anything else. I am just a bit over 6' and it works great for me. If I raise it up to far I get a strange pressure on the top of my helmet that pushes forward and down. When I feel that I just move it down a tad. I have a brand new Shoei Qwest helmet and together they are a great combo. My first ride on the FJR was from Midland, TX to Austin - about 300 miles. It was a great day. Love the bike. It now has just under 2400 miles on it.

Joe

I did not like the Throttlemeister being so far out on the grip, so I have something homemade very similar to the Trottle Pro: https://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html . This is a throttle lock, though. For true cruise control, there are options. Just search the forum.

For windscreen, I am 6'2", 34" inseam. Went with the Cal Sci +5.5" which is perfect for me. The extra air vent they put at the base of the windscreen helps a lot to cut down on bad vibes. If you are unsure about height, go larger. You can fairly easily cut it down, or have it cut down. Cal Sci also advertises that they (or he I guess - Mark) will exchange the windscreen so long as it has not been damaged.

Many many of us have the Audiovox cruise control kit on our FJRs, easy enough to find info about it with a quick search.

And you sound surprised about the differnce in this bike from the Harley. Why? :D

Congrats on the purchase...there's no going back now!

Lots of options for windscreens, most have been covered already. Ultimate answer really depends on where you live, helmet type, how much air you prefer and which shield 'works' for you. I run a Cee Baileys 2/2 flip for summer and a CB 4/3 flip for winter. Summer being what it is in the PNW! ;)

I use the poor man's cruise control, a Vista throttle lock in conjunction with a cramp buster.

Good luck with your search for windscreen bliss.

--G

I'll bet you look at Harleys a little different now. If you plan to ride your a lot of miles go for the audio cruse control, it's just tits!

Why the picture of a FZ6 (not that there is anything wrong with that)in your avatar??

This thread could not have come at a better time... Here goes.

Tonite at dinner I was explaining my WFO 9 shirt to our server at dinner, and as I told her about the roughly 65 FJRs that showed up in Eureka in 2010,she had no idea the bike event ever took place, She thought she would have heard of the biker ride in. it dawned on me that compared to a macho Harley, the FJR is really a nerd bike, Its High Tech, the latest in techno gadgets AKA Farkles (and then some) But I have to admit the FJR is a NERD level bike, viewing the pleathora of techie upgrades available, complete with dark side entertainment. The Ultimate Geek and Nerd bike is the FJR,....

Damn I love it!!

FWFE

2007, best year,tits up, bar none.

The FJR is the thinking man's bike . It's for the person who dose not have the need for attention every 5 minutes . FJRs just do it and they will do it for years with the simplest of maintanence. Enjoy!

Welcome to the forum, I to traded my 07 Fatboy for a new at the time 07 AE, never looked back and I never regreded my choice. I don't miss not having a clucth lever either, I like using the paddle shifter and you will to.

There are a lot of us on here that they came over from harley's. I traded my last harley (an 06 electra glide) for my current FJR back in October and I haven't looked back.

I'm 6'2" and dicked around with a few screens before biting the bullet and going for the priciest option, the Rifle. I suppose it's the tuning block, but it's really the only way to go. Really.
For you.

Windshield comments are so subjective to the persons body type that use them that it is the one aftermarket item that you truly cannot guarantee will work for someone else.

This is based on reading the myriad of windscreen threads here. It is all about body type and what kind of wind protection the user wants.

That's why when Fencer sent around a screen for people to try on for free...that was a GREAT service for others on the Forum to see whether his screen was the best one for them.

I did not not sell or trade my Harley Davidson Road King in for my FJR. I just bought the FJR and now they sit side by side in my garage.

For me it's about the sport of riding, not the brand of motorcycle. I have been on very long journeys with the Road King and I look forward to doing the same with the FJR.

Good luck with your new ride, I am sure it will serve you well.

Now for the farkling.

My Harley was a lot of fun, and I learned to ride (slow) on it and not get myself killed by riding over my head. And if I could afford to have two more bikes in my garage right now the second would be a Harley. But once you decide you're a motorcyclist, you realize things like acceleration, braking, and swerving matter to your survival, things Harley's just don't do well. Welcome to the forum where men are men who love sheep (and FJRs). :)

My Harley was a lot of fun, and I learned to ride (slow) on it and not get myself killed by riding over my head. And if I could afford to have two more bikes in my garage right now the second would be a Harley. But once you decide you're a motorcyclist, you realize things like acceleration, braking, and swerving matter to your survival, things Harley's just don't do well. Welcome to the forum where men are men who love sheep (and FJRs). :)
There is a lot of wisdom in your words.

I decided I was a motorcyclist a long time ago. In June of 2012 I will be celebrating my 50th year of motorcycling.

I love this forum, as for sheep...not so much.

And not to forget, Merry Christmas to all.

Last edited by a moderator: