Just traded my Harley for a FJR!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too just traded in my Harley (Sportster) for an FJR (2005, ABS, 12000 miles). Just an amazing difference between the two bikes -- the FJR is smoother, more powerful, and handles much, much better. I just wonder why it took me so long to make the switch.

I wanted to respond to the request for opinions on products for listening to MP3s. I have a Scala Rider G4 on my helmet and I love it! You can link three of them together for bike-to-bike-to-bike communications. I can get FM radio, audio link to my Zumo 550 GPS (which also lets me link my phone in) and connect to my iPod Touch so I can listen to my MP3 playlists from there. I completed an 8 State / 4000 mile trip in September and this setup made the trip even more enjoyable.

I've put around 90,000 miles on cruisers (I went through two Kawasaki Vulcans) before finally deciding to switch to the FJR and I too don't know why it took me so long. I'm about to leave the office and am 5 miles away from hitting the 600 mile break-in point. Good thing I already have the 600 mile tune-up planned for tomorrow morning. I love this bike! I thought I would really miss my Vulcan but, sorry to say, I don't... at all!

I too just traded in my Harley (Sportster) for an FJR (2005, ABS, 12000 miles). Just an amazing difference between the two bikes -- the FJR is smoother, more powerful, and handles much, much better. I just wonder why it took me so long to make the switch.
You got tired of the KOOL DUDE syndrone and wanted to be a Power Ranger. ;)

Happy Friday,

Dave

I rode with a Harley guy for years and years. We decided to meet in Daytona for Bike Week in 1988. I had a V Max at the time and rode it down. He and his buddy trailered their HD's down and couldn't believe I rode ALL THE WAY from Indiana. We started going to B/W every year, and eventually, they convinced my to buy a Harley. Started on a 1200 Sportster, then upgraded to a SoftTail Custom, then a POS RoadKing that I quickly sold. I went on to several BMW's. In 2002, I convinced my dyed in the wool Harley buddy to ride the ALPS on an Edelweiss Tour. We both rode R1150RT's. It changed his life. With in two weeks of returning home, his 6 month old Harley was traded for an RT. He was still repeating, "I can't believe I'm doing this on a motorcycle".

After 70,000 miles on the RT and a final drive failure, then failing transmission, unbeknownst to me he bought a 2010 FJR. He is a happy camper. :yahoo:

Interestingly, I too am in my 50th year of riding. I've always considered myself to be a motorcyclist, not a biker. Merry Christmas to all. Racer

Last edited by a moderator:
Motorcyclist, biker or rider, I guess we fall into the category we perceive ourselves to be in.

All I know is it's been a great 50 years of going to places I would have never seen and meeting some great people, if it had not been for my two wheeled steeds

I wish I had another 50 years of enjoying motorcycles, places and people.

The experiences have been priceless.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you find it to be as helpful as I have. Be sure to read the Bin-O-Facts, and ask questions. I went the other way: bought a 2009 garage queen FLHX a little while back, but kept the FJR. The FJR is very easy to maintain and has incredible power and braking compared to the Harley, so spend some practice time with it to get accustomed to the handling you've got now. You're going to really enjoy the FJR!

I like the VStream windshield a lot. I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam if that helps any. When it's raised just at nose level it's comfortable, and when it's raised all the way up, it's like a cocoon around you.

'fooz

I rode with a Harley guy for years and years. We decided to meet in Daytona for Bike Week in 1988. I had a V Max at the time and rode it down. He and his buddy trailered their HD's down and couldn't believe I rode ALL THE WAY from Indiana. We started going to B/W every year, and eventually, they convinced my to buy a Harley. Started on a 1200 Sportster, then upgraded to a SoftTail Custom, then a POS RoadKing that I quickly sold. I went on to several BMW's. In 2002, I convinced my dyed in the wool Harley buddy to ride the ALPS on an Edelweiss Tour. We both rode R1150RT's. It changed his life. With in two weeks of returning home, his 6 month old Harley was traded for an RT. He was still repeating, "I can't believe I'm doing this on a motorcycle".

After 70,000 miles on the RT and a final drive failure, then failing transmission, unbeknownst to me he bought a 2010 FJR. He is a happy camper. :yahoo:

Interestingly, I too am in my 50th year of riding. I've always considered myself to be a motorcyclist, not a biker. Merry Christmas to all. Racer
Great story...thanks for sharing it with us! I wonder how many [more] members of the tribe would switch if they ever sampled the other side. :blink:

We'll probably never know!!

--G

Just curious about the OP and the other Hardley converts. Did you dump the pirate outfits and go ATGATT or are you still in Corona tee-shirts? Or were you ATGATT on the Hardley's? Is it easy to change from the "lifestyle" to real riding gear when you change brands? (most folks around here are 'Stitch or comparable types) Or is it a no-brainer in that it was just as easy to change brands and riding gear?

BTW, you got the right model!

Just curious about the OP and the other Hardley converts. Did you dump the pirate outfits and go ATGATT or are you still in Corona tee-shirts? Or were you ATGATT on the Hardley's? Is it easy to change from the "lifestyle" to real riding gear when you change brands? (most folks around here are 'Stitch or comparable types) Or is it a no-brainer in that it was just as easy to change brands and riding gear?

I know what the pave' feels like from my days racing bicycles, so ATGATT for me. I wear my usual gear on whatever bike I'm on. I still have some sportbike jackets that I wear sometimes on the FJR.

Don't have any "lifestyle" gear at all...wait -- does my Triumph coffee mug count?

'fooz

I, too, have always considered myself a motorcyclist rather than a biker. I ride for the sport of it, not to be seen or heard or to establish an identity.

I'm glad to hear others use this terminology as well. For me, it summarizes the difference between riding an FJR and a Harley more effectively than anything I can think of.

No offense to the HD riders. But for those who haven't ridden anything else (whether by chance or intent), there's an exciting new world awaiting! ;)

I forgot to mention that I also have the Throttlemeister on mine, but can't remember the last time I used it. If you get a Throttlemeister, be sure to use Loctite Blue 242 on the mounting screws.

I have occasionally put my earphones for my Sansa Clip player on while riding but 99% of the time I don't listen to anything while I'm on the FJR. When I'm on the FLHX, however, I'm always two-up with my wife or one of my daughters who enjoy listening to some tunes while we're riding. Took my oldest daughter for a fun ride yesterday, and we found some country roads to ride and listen to Gary Hoey and Brian Setzer.

I think the two things I want to put on the FJR are the VStrom handguards and a nice cruise control.

Things I *wish* my '05 had: factory-looking cruise control, gear indicator, temp/mpg display, paddle shift!! (yeah, I am keeping my eyes open for a later model AE!)

'fooz

I know what the pave' feels like from my days racing bicycles, so ATGATT for me. I wear my usual gear on whatever bike I'm on. I still have some sportbike jackets that I wear sometimes on the FJR.

Don't have any "lifestyle" gear at all...wait -- does my Triumph coffee mug count?

'foozSame here.
I don't have a Triumph coffee mug, but I wear ear plugs on both the FLHR and the FJR as part of the ATGATT.

I still wear the same attire as I did on the Harley. I never did the pirate thing, and I do not adhere strictly to the ATGATT philosophy. I tend to dress for the weather and ride, not the crash. For short rides locally in summer I'll use my open face helmet, air mesh jacket or leather vest, jeans and tennis shoes. For longer rides it will be my full face helmet, air mesh or 3 season coat, chaps and riding boots. Same as I did on the Harley.

Speaking of thread hijack:

I fail to see what purpose chaps could possibly serve to protect a motorcyclist. The only thing I can even remotely imagine is protection from the poorly routed exhaust pipes you see on many cruisers.

But then, I'm ATGATT to go to the gas station .9 miles from the house. And a good thing, too. One of my two crashes was halfway between that station and my house.

Speaking of thread hijack:

I fail to see what purpose chaps could possibly serve to protect a motorcyclist. The only thing I can even remotely imagine is protection from the poorly routed exhaust pipes you see on many cruisers.

But then, I'm ATGATT to go to the gas station .9 miles from the house. And a good thing, too. One of my two crashes was halfway between that station and my house.
My FJR throws enough heat on my left lower leg to raise blisters just above the boots on longer rides in hot weather. The chaps provide enough protection to keep that from happening.

Hey thanks for the reply, I'm in NC

OK

So I just traded my 2005 harley Road Glide for a 2009 FJR AE oldstock. It feels great, not sure what I was thinking when I bought the Harley, well, I liked the RG but it just didn't work for my riding style.

Well, right now I feel good about the decision going with a "clutchless" AE model. I know they have been discontinued for 2012 but my first impressions are positive with the performance factor, sure it lacks a common riding "feel" but at the same time it has a new "feel" I've never experienced before. Could be this is ahead of its time and although unpopular with many riders, I like the snap response (.2 seconds) on the AE.

Now, that I'm a FJR owner, I'll be on this forum more, so here are some questions hopefully someone can help support.

The stock windshield is too short, I'm 6'1" and need something taller, suggestions?

I would like opinions on the best solution or product out there for bluetooth or listening to my fav mp3's

Need a good solution for Cruise control.

thanks
You are in the right place. Lots of information here. Be sure to get to the Bin o facts and Never ending pointless recurring threads. I use a throttlemeister for cruise. Where are you?

Joe

Ahh, that was my 2004 FZ1, I sold that to help buy the Harley RG. When I was looking for a new ride it was between an FJR and Harley RG and I was putting feelers out on the forums, so that is what I used for my avatar. I'll update this soon with my FJR.

thanks for all the great advice.

Merry Christmas.

Mike

I'll bet you look at Harleys a little different now. If you plan to ride your a lot of miles go for the audio cruse control, it's just tits!

Why the picture of a FZ6 (not that there is anything wrong with that)in your avatar??