Just traded my Harley for a FJR!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know how you feel. I just traded my 09 Harley FLHX for an 11 FJR1300 and I just feel more comfortable on the bike. I even feel better at the Yamaha shop than I ever did at Harley land. I'm glad we both made the move. Oh got mine 12/08/11.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how you feel. I just traded my 09 Harley FLHX for an 11 FJR1300 and I just feel more comfortable on the bike. I even feel better at the Yamaha shop than I ever did at Harley land. I'm glad we both made the move. Oh got mine 12/08/11.

Unless you've got a really good shop (and there are a few), I would rather learn to do most of the maintenance.

I knew nothing about this bike - even scared to change the oil myself - but with the resources online and the people on this Forum that have helped, I feel more comfortable working on it. Even learning to do a valve check this weekend...which would never been in my bag of tricks before this Forum.

Unless you've got a really good shop (and there are a few), I would rather learn to do most of the maintenance.

I knew nothing about this bike - even scared to change the oil myself - but with the resources online and the people on this Forum that have helped, I feel more comfortable working on it. Even learning to do a valve check this weekend...which would never been in my bag of tricks before this Forum.
Did I miss the invitation or is this a private tutor?

Oh, grats bababang!

The Harley conversion thing almost makes this a therapy group! I rode a Wide Glide for 12 years before moving on to the FJR. My HD was bulletproof and I cannot complain but my FJR has excited me about riding again. Commuting to work used to be punishment...now it's therapy.

After spending hours on this info-rich site my biggest win was simply getting a Crampbuster throttle device for that super tight throttle spring. I fidgeted with the 'unwind' but just couldn't commit. I'm 6'3 and have the stock windscreen. It's awesome compared to an unshielded cruiser so everything is relative.

Cheers!

Kind of a necro thread bump :p But, to correct the OP, the AE is NOT "clutchless". Its an electronic clutch. Its also not an automatic ;)

As far as the windscreen goes, theres alot of choices out there. I went with a rifle.

My personal advise is if you need right hand relief, do it right or dont do it. Get a cruise control. Theres a few options out there, but I went with the Audiovox, and it looks stock.

Welcome to ST-ing! BTW since its been a few months, what are your impressions so far?

I rode a 2006 Road King Classic for 2 years but never fit the mold as a Harley rider. I don't look mean and I waved at all bikes. Never had problems but just no performance even after spending $2000 on engine mods . Sold it and went to the FJR and never looked back. Today a macho Harley guy wouldn't even look my way to acknowledge me sitting at a traffic light. I guess he didnt know what I was riding because he tried to leave me at the light. Of course I blew by him then when he caught up to me at the next traffic light all he could say was that it sounded like a sewing machine. I am sure he is home crying in his beer because he got spanked. I am sure he now knows what an FJR can do and he won't make that mistake again.

Funny how the HD owners, when talking to a non HD owner, explain that its a cruiser and they dont care about performance, then in the next breath, they talk about how much they spent on the stage 1, or squawking chicken upgrades, etc , in order to make it run like it has more than 72 hp to haul around that 800 lbs of chrome turdness. Insanity.

Absolutely! That is why Harley is in business. Not from sales of the bikes but the aftermarket. And the stage ll upgrade I spent $2000 on wasn't really noticeable. Still a dog. Never again riding an overpriced Hardly.

My trip to Harley-land: a couple years ago my cousin started a business buying used Harleys here in America and shipping them to Japan to be customized and sold. She sent me all over north Florida buying Lowriders. My job: test ride, check vin #s, trailer it home and prep it for shipping. I got to ride a bunch of them. I went over each one with a fine tooth comb. I remember so many times standing back and looking at them. Loaded with chrome, custom paint, tassles, and custom do-dads stuck on them from one end to the other, I would think to myself, WHY???? Why waste the time to put al this chrome and beautiful paint on this hunk-a-junk? These words come to mind: heavy, clumsy, slow, sluggish, spongy, poor engineering, hard to start, I could go on and on. I'd be getting them ready for shipping in the garage and the neighbors would come over to drool on them. "Are ya gonna take it for a ride before ya ship it?" they'd ask. My reply..."Why?? I just had no interest in riding the thing anywhere. They're more fun to push than they are to ride, if that's possible. At any one time I'd have at least one, sometimes two in my garage. My opinion: what a waste of good steel. Guess I don't fit the mold of a Harley rider either.

Then I bought an FJR. Oh my soul. As of today it's been 8 days since I rode the FJR. Still healing from my surgery. Feel like I'm going through withdrawl.

Gary

darksider #44

I noticed nobody really hit on your BT question (steered all towards windshields and understandably).

I went with the Chatterbox 2 setup with an HJC modular. I have an Android phone that I put in the glove box in it's leather case for cushion and connect it to the cig lighter. It's pairing is always within seconds once the phone is close to the helmet. Streaming music sweet and if a phone call comes in it's a tap of the chatterbox (mounted on the left side of the helmet) and I'm talking with the music temp cut out. Works pretty well, my friends say it's clear and most don't know I'm riding actually. Downside is when your windshield is low or the summer sized low ones, you get too much noise (for me anyway) to make it worth listening so have your windshield high or in a non buffeting mode. There probably are better but more expensive unit/combo's out there but this was reasonable at $351 for both LINKY

27733_8.jpg

I used a Chatterbox xbi2 but I wish I would of coughed up the extra dough and got the G4 instead.

As far as being a former Harley rider, I'm guilty too but in a worse way. I grew up on mini-bikes and dirt-bikes then for a very short time had one of the first sport bikes (Honda Interceptors), but everyone I knew who rode, rode a Harley so I got a Dyna..... After it got totaled, drunken neighbor drove on top of it, I went bikeless for a few years after I was transferred to Germany. Then I bought another Dyna..... I should of known better. The Autobahn was a dangerous place for a bike that wouldn't go fast. After a year, I swapped it to an Italian for a 916. Man, I loved that bike!!!! I've had performance bikes every since.

I've decided that I now want a lighter bike in my garage than the FJR but no matter what I get I am NOT getting rid of my FJR. As long as they make them I'll have one in my garage. On a sportbike I can tear up the twisties but I can't ride it all day, day after day. On a tourer I can ride day after day but I can't go through the twisties like I like. On the FJR I can do both. Maybe it's not the best at either but it's close to it.

Welcome to the board!

In 1979 I got my first bike...a 1972 Ironhead sporty. From 1979 to 1998 I thought that Harley Davidson motorcycles were the only bikes on the road...period. In 98 I got on my first BMW..wow what a difference loved the handling and performance, still kept a Harley in the garage with it. I then ventured out to a MV Agusta, several KTMs and my wife even rode a Ducati Monster for a while. Still kept a Harley in the garage. I read all of these posts and it just irks me when people slam a manf of motorcycles or the people that ride them. But I do understand..I too had my head up my..well you know where for many years. I no longer ride Beemers lost my faith, got my first FJR and I love it. Still have a Harley in the garage (and always will). And by the way, beemer riders will probably do as much or more farkling as you guys do. All bikes have a purpose, if it is to just cruise around and wonder what cows think about or twist the grip and try to drag pegs through the twisties. If you don't like the Harley culture, then don't buy into it. Not everyone is a pirate. You should at least be man enough to consider the fact that the reason they make so many different models is that there are all types of people out there riding. Are they for everyone? No. Is the FJR for everyone? NO! However, I do love mine....but I also love my HD as well. And maybe a KTM 690 Enduro R, and maybe....well I guess I would take and enjoy any motorcycle out there!

Peace out

Rexford

Ride whatever makes you happy. That is why we live in the USA . We have choices. Just don't look down on others because they don't ride a Harley.

+1 on the last 2 posts. But don't expect to post on a brand-specific board about another brand and not hear some push back.

BTW: I had a HD and still like them for what they are/can be... metal sculpture. If I had unlimited funds, one would be in my garage and covered to keep it dust-free until I decided to back it out into the driveway for others to gawp at.

I went riding for a day with a buddy who just bought a high $$ Street Glide CVO. It is a beautiful bike...

We rode routes with lots of bike traffic that day. Lots of chatty bikers while stopped. 9 out of 10 comments or questions where cruisers riders with questions about the FJR. He was clearly deflated by this.

The spanking I gave him over the rode probably didn't help
biggrin.gif

My favorite bikes are the ones that are paid off. It just so happens I love them both and will hold on to them as long as I can. Does the BMW called me? Yep, but I have been fighting the urge.