The Million Mile Challenge. Who's In?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

camera56

Reaction score
Friends

One of the themes that comes out loud and clear in the "what did you learn this year" thread is that we love to ride and generally wish we rode more. From what I can tell, there are about 250 active posters and maybe a total of 400 to 500 active members. Let's go with 250. If each of those 250 people rode just 4000 miles this year, that's a million FJRforum miles in 2008. Seems easy enough. So here's the challenge . . .

• Whenever you ride, just post your miles to this thread. Make it interesting for the rest of us and maybe provide a detail or two. Or a lot. There are no rules other than we get out there and ride and make a shared record of it. Commuting counts.
  • You can post any time for any increment of time. So you can report that you commuted 128 miles this week, or tell us about a cool ride you did over hill and dale.
  • Consider dedicating your riding year to someone or something. We have a member who found riding on the backside of nasty bout with cancer. Some of us think about forum members no long with us. Or family members no longer with us. It could just be that you dedicate your riding to you.
  • Anyone can run a tally at any time. If nobody does, I will from time to time. At some point, we'll hit a million fjrforum miles. We do it every year as it is, we just don't notice as a group. Now we can. It will just be one of those silly things a group of people decide to do. And sometime in late summer or early fall, there it will be. One million miles.

So that's my idea. Ride some miles, post to this thread. Simple.

Note: Many of you have expressed an interest in getting to the spreadsheet I use to log the miles. Unfortunately, the way it works is that I need to invite you, so PM me with a valid email and I'll send it to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it have to be on an FJR? If not, then rack me up for 180 miles of local back road riding on 1/1/08. Otherwise, I'll catch up easily when I put my suspension back together. I should be able to knock off 4k by the end of March.

Count so far 180 or 0.

Friends
One of the themes that comes out loud and clear in the "what did you learn this year" thread is that we love to ride and generally wish we rode more. From what I can tell, there are about 250 active posters and maybe a total of 400 to 500 active members. Let's go with 250. If each of those 250 people rode just 4000 miles this year, that's a million FJRforum miles in 2008. Seems easy enough. So here's the challenge . . .

• Whenever you ride, just post your miles to this thread. Make it interesting for the rest of us and maybe provide a detail or two. Or a lot. There are no rules other than we get out there and ride and make a shared record of it. Commuting counts.
  • You can post any time for any increment of time. So you can report that you commuted 128 miles this week, or tell us about a cool ride you did over hill and dale.
  • Consider dedicating your riding year to someone or something. We have a member who found riding on the backside of nasty bout with cancer. Some of us think about forum members no long with us. Or family members no longer with us. It could just be that you dedicate your riding to you.
  • Anyone can run a tally at any time. If nobody does, I will from time to time. At some point, we'll hit a million fjrforum miles. We do it every year as it is, we just don't notice as a group. Now we can. It will just be one of those silly things a group of people decide to do. And sometime in late summer or early fall, there it will be. One million miles.

So that's my idea. Ride some miles, post to this thread. Simple.

Ok, so that's 253 miles on New years and 30 mile comute today. I wonder if I will ride more this year than last year since I only rode 10,000 last year. Didn't Warchild ride 10,000 in eight days?

Any bike will do. It's us, not the bikes. Who knows, maybe we'll hit a million quicker than we think! Game on.

Too bad we didn't have this last year.... between the normal LD and rally events, training for BBG Hell Week, and the BBGHW run itself, I topped 63,000 miles in 2007 between the three bikes in the stable. B)

Don't think I'll quite be in that category this year. We'll see....

Too bad we didn't have this last year.... between the normal LD and rally events, training for BBG Hell Week, and the BBGHW run itself, I topped 63,000 miles in 2007 between the three bikes in the stable. B)
Don't think I'll quite be in that category this year. We'll see....
What, your gonna slack off this year?! :p

This is a neat idea but I'd think the data logging might get to be a nightmare. Is there some kind of fancy-smancy web thingy that would let us enter our data and it would log it to a spreadsheet or something?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueler?

Fred

This is a neat idea but I'd think the data logging might get to be a nightmare. Is there some kind of fancy-smancy web thingy that would let us enter our data and it would log it to a spreadsheet or something?Anyone? Anyone? Bueler?

Hmmmm. Good point. I'll look around and see what I can find.

Maybe something like google docs with an account that we could all share?

https://www.google.com/google-d-s/intl/en/tour1.html

I just took a quick look at this and it's really great. Works just like a normal spreadsheet and if we share an account we could all manage the same spreadsheet to keep our entries. Maybe something like:

Forum Username, Date, Miles, Comments

for column headings?

OK, new idea. Still post messages to this thread to keep us all entertained about what you're doing on your Feejr. I have created an online spreadsheet. If you PM me an email, I will invite you to the spreadsheet and you can just put your info in there. I'll post totals from time to time. Or if that's too much work. Set up your own riding log with these columns . . .

• Date
  • Brief ride description
  • Miles ridden

Send it to me from time to time (PM me for my email) and I'll do the data merging. I've actually got an interest in these sorts of weird little research projects and I think we'd all be amused by this.

Cheers

Maybe something like google docs with an account that we could all share?
https://www.google.com/google-d-s/intl/en/tour1.html
Exactly my idea. I have one set up. It looks like the way to share it is I invite you to it and then you can type away. See previous post.

Man, it gets even better. If we don't want to have a shared account then one person could create it then send out invitations to others through email. They can then click the link in the email and without having to authenticate or create a google account they could edit the same sheet. Looks like lots of good options.

^^^^ looks like we're on the same page here, only I'm a bit slower on the clicking. I'm sending you a PM with my email addy. Though I'd suggest adding a column for Forum Username so we can later let users pull just their own miles if they want.

Mind if I add a formula at the top to keep a running total?

I hope you don't mind, but I went ahead and made that change and a few format changes. Feel free to toss the changes and ban me from future updates. :D

Sounds great you guys. I think it is a good idea to keep posting to the forum to keep people interested and remind them it is there and to suck, err encourage, new people to join in.

Cheers,

Mind if I add a formula at the top to keep a running total?
I hope you don't mind, but I went ahead and made that change and a few format changes. Feel free to toss the changes and ban me from future updates. :D

It's officially a group project so you go boy!

Well I won't be adding any miles this week.

IMG_3545.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.