HID Self Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
Well, check it out......

Many may recall I don't recommend the HID in the FJR lamp housings due to the "scatter" problem that occurs when using the shielded HID capsule.

This problem may have been solved now with the advent of the newer "shielded" HID H4 capsule....

I have an HID kit coming that will have one these "low-beam only" HID capsules:

h4_lowbeam.jpg

Nov 10 edit: As it turns out, this capsule does NOT physically relocate to achieve the proper focal point high-beam application. The "Low-Beam Only" is awesome, but the Hi/Lo Kit is not recommended.

H4_Bi-Xenon.jpg

Once the kit gets here and I can test it thoroughly, we could do a Group Buy on them. These are the McCulloch kits... very good stuff.

The price is going to be astronomically low.... well under $200 for the low-beam only kit (and thats for a PAIR (2) HID lamps!!!!) :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

The new "Bi-Xenon" moving capsule is what is truly interesting to me.... B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard reports from several sources about the McCullough ballasts and ignitors dieing after 12-18 months. I had planned to stay away from them.

I just got my bonu$$. let me know how the evaluation goes.

Thanks,

mo

You are an evil bastard, WC!!!! You damn well know I just sprang for 2 H7 HIDs for the Blackbird at the same time you did, and here you are spreading HID fever over on this board AFTER I read about another potential Wilbers group buy here.

AAAARGHHHHH!!!!!!!! How the hell am I gonna pay estimated taxes with all this temptation going on? I need tires for both bikes and I'm still trying to clean out some work space in the garage from the move, . . . so it looks like I'm stocking up on motorcycle accessories to install on both bikes after the snow starts flying.

Keep up the good work; I'm looking forward to hearing the results of your research. :clap:

anxiously waiting your review. Could you complete the review before thanksgivings.... Only thing better is getting this as a gift :D

James

Definitely interested in the BI-XENON kit.

I'm not too thrilled about losing the high-beam function especially considering I use the Sylvania Silverstar super duper front illumination capsules.

I WILL not join a GB again!

What's the old spiritual "Get thee behind me, Satan!"?

Thank goodness for this:

I'm guessing headlight modulators wouldn't work too well with either.  <_<
When the alternator GB shows up...THEN I'll give in to temptation.

When the alternator GB shows up...THEN I'll give in to temptation.
Surprise. The HID setup - both bulbs together - consume only 70-watts after startup, so you are saving 40-watts over stock lighting, more than enough to run a Widder vest.

This is a *significant* electrical savings, while at the same time improving the light output several orders of magnitude.

Hey YT--

You filibustering up there? :bleh:

WC: Anticipate any install issues w/regard to the actual lamp? Should be drop in, no? Then mount/install the ballast?

I've heard reports from several sources about the McCullough ballasts and ignitors dieing after 12-18 months.  I had planned to stay away from them.
Based on this description, how does one test for the longevity of such a system?

Hey YT--You filibustering up there?  :bleh:

WC: Anticipate any install issues w/regard to the actual lamp? Should be drop in, no? Then mount/install the ballast?
This is a direct plug-n-play kit. No mods of any kind are needed.

This will be even easier than the PHIDs install... the McCulloch ballasts are pretty small, about 3" x3" x1.4":

mcculloch.jpg

I think the stock lighting is a good as any I've ever had, that being said, I had HID low beam and Hella micro HID on my LT and I really miss them!

Put me down for a set.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.