Install location for Nautilus horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donaldb

Reaction score
I just ordered a Nautilus horn and will be ordering a harness from FJRandy after the horn arrives. Has anyone else installed this horn? I need some suggestions, I hear it can be a tight fit, and available location(s) are few. Randy needs to know where I plan to mount it so as to make sure he supplies enough wire. Thanx, bd

Nautilus..is that a brand name? Never heard of it.

If you mean the shape..as in a Carrand, FIAM, Magnum, or Stebel brand...just use the same moutning location as stock. Unless it's really huge it will fit.

My suggestion is to stick with either Carrand and Stebel brand. We know these will kit in the stock location. In that case, Randy can make you a standard harness and you'll have plenty of resources here to ask questions about it. You do need to trim a small amount of plastic and position them correctly to make them fit, but it's not a big deal at all.

If you can include a link of what you ordered, we may be able to further assist with a mounting location

Nautilus is "the other" horn made by magnum blaster, instead of two magnum blasters a single Nautilus is suppose to do the trick. From what I have read, it's one LOUD horn, I thought maybe someone else may have already installed one. ck out at: hornsplusauto.com

The Nautilus is an air horn rather than an electric vibration unit. The one you are probably talking about for the FJR is the newer compact model. The single Nautilus is rated at a few more decibels than the pair of blasters. I believe it is at the maximum allowed by law, but that may be dependent on what state you live in. I don't have one yet but I plan on getting one.

Let me rephrase this for donaldb......

He wants to know if ANYONE out there has already installed the Stebel Nautilus OR compact Nautilus air horns on the FJR. And if so, what was the spot you came up with that allowed the most room for the forks? Which way did you face it, left side, right side, etc etc.

donaldb,

I have both the Magnums & the Nautilus. The Magnums are in the usual place.

I'm presently relocating the Nautilus to a safer location than where I had it under the fairing lowers. The exhaust pipes were too close.

I have a Wilbers shock high/low speed adjustment mounted inside the cavity by the brake pedal or I'd mount it there.

I have the auxilary light brackets and could mount it with one of the lights, but don't like the looks of it there.

I have a Pelican 'tool box' mounted between the licence plate and the fender or I'd use that space.

I'm looking to mount it on the Givi luggage rack side supports.

...talk about stuffing ten pounds into a five pound bag!

dobias <_<

donaldb,

PS: IMHO, the Nautilus is too large to fit where one of the electric horns resided.

dobias <_<

under the seat and under the tool box, next to the air cleaner.

that is where I mounted my air horns.

Hmmm, this could get ugly! I think it will be best to wait until it arrives and get a better idea of it's size, suppose to be relatively compact, I didn't think it would be much of a big deal, but as usual apparantly WRONG again. I may have to fabricate a bracket or something, we'll see. The horn should arrive this week. My neighbor is really a good help w/such things. We'll come up w/something and we'll take a few pic's and let everyone know how the project went. This is an air horn, I hope to be able to find a way to mount it up front and maybe run a heat acceptable hose under the tank somewhere to access dry clean air, keep the rain and water out. In the mean time if anyone has any ideas, please post them, at this point all are welcome. Thanx-bd

bluedevil,

I'm thinking your bike must be a non ABS FJR. Removing my ABS modulator is the only way I can see stuffing a Nautilus under the seat.

dobias <_<

Just realized I screwed up--again! I ordered the regular Nautilus horn instead of the compact. Called was told to send it back when received and they would make the switch at no cost, they would even pay the shipping cost to send me back the compact horn--nice folks. But this will delay my install plans for a couple weeks. :angry: stupid-stupid-stupid

Holy beejeesus, the Stebel Nautilus horn came in yesterday, of course I ordered the wrong one and they said they would switch it out at no charge for the compact horn, they are both the same price. I hope the compact is a whole lot smaller than the monstrosity they sent me, there's absolutely no possible way to mount this big daddy on the front of the bike. Putting this back in the mail for the switch, maybe I'll get the compact in within 1-2 weeks. :blink:

After you get the compact Nautilus, please let us know where you are able to fit it. Pictures would be an added bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the compact nautilus and installed it successfully in the original horn mount on the right side (as looking from the front).

It's a tight fit and you have to trim away some of the black cowling material, but it can work. Once complete, it's a wicked setup that's loud as hell. Just make sure you use a relay. It sucks lots of power. :D