Install location for Nautilus horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not having seen Randys harness I can't coment on it. I just use the bike harness connectors for one horn as the switching side of my installed horn relay. Works perfectly.

Did my Nautilus install Saturday, along w/GSG sliders, BMW grips, vista cruise, passenger peg extenders and exhaust guards. A full day of farkle festivities. I took several picks along the way and hope to post them here is a few days w/more detail, hopefully it will help someone who might consider trying this some day. The Nautilus, by the way is one dam* loud horn when you use FJRandy's harness. The extra gauge wire holds the full current in order to get out all the Nautilus has to offer!! I can't wait to use it on someone deserving!! :eek:

donaldb:

Where did you finally mount your horn?

What did you do with the second stock horn? Did you leave it mounted or remove it...etc.

Thanks.

I mounted it on the existing left side horn bracket (under the glove box). I took off both left and right horns as FJRANDY's harness requires you to access the right horn wiring/connection (to enter the existing electrical loom). I took some really good pic's through out this process. It took most of the day, I worked on the horn and horn wiring harness and my neighbor did the grips, passenger guards and extenders, the vista cruise and we together did the GSG's. The horn is incredable, it's just to painful to listen to for more than about 2-3 seconds then you have to cover your ears. My neighbor has a smugmug site, he will post the pic's there and after he does so, I will copy and move them here w/details on the install process. It was not complicated but it was time consuming. Pick a rainy day to do this.

Thank you for the info. On so many occasions, I have tempted to pull the trigger on the Magnum Blaster horns until I went to the Stebel web site and listened to the different horns. This Nautilus Compact Horn is the sound I've been looking for ever since riding a R1200RT this past fall. I can say that the BMW's have some nice stock horns and loud. :bigeyes:

I look forward to those pictures.

If anyone is interested in listening to these different horns Clicky

My neighbor who helped has a 04 1150RT and the sound of these horns are similar. I could not tell which was louder as I have to cover my ears w/both

So you know the sound we are looking for. That BMW, your friend has, is very loud for stock horns.

I'm glad you know this and had the opportunity to compare the two side-by-side.

Thanks again.

Never could figure out why the jap bike makers keep installing crappy worthless horns. I'm not even sure a stock bike horn can even be heard from the inside of a cage?

Were only talking a few bucks extra for the ear drum crushing type. A major, major 'cheap' safety farkle that can make all the difference when it counts. My magnums have rattled quite a few unsuspecting cagers who didn't see me, they get attention RIGHT NOW! :D

Skyway:

+1 for adding ear shattering loud horns to Jap bikes. I'm sure many would pay more to not have to make this change later.

I know for a fact that many people do not hear the stock horn on the FJR from inside a car.

I tried to get the attention of a friend sitting next to me at a red light the other day, it was frustrating to blow those puss horns and get no where. :beee:

Skyway:
+1 for adding ear shattering loud horns to Jap bikes.  I'm sure many would pay more to not have to make this change later.

I know for a fact that many people do not hear the stock horn on the FJR from inside a car. 

I tried to get the attention of a friend sitting next to me at a red light the other day, it was frustrating to blow those puss horns and get no where. :beee:
Sounds like its time to upgrade the stockers. If there were only 2 farkles allowed for the FJR, it would be the magnums and frame sliders.

Warchilds install on fjrtech is really easy to follow. Just remember that you must use the beefed up wiring diagram shown. The stock wiring will not cut it for the blasters.

Skyway:

Not meaning to hi-jack this thread but you are right.....WE NEED LOUDER HORNS and it sounds like many of us are going to get them or have already gotten them.

I get NERVOUS with the thought of tearing my bike apart to do this :dribble:

With much respect to DonaldB for starting this thread.

This thread has helped me a ton.....thank you.

raclow, it's really not that big of a deal, trust me if I can do it anybody can! It's just a slow process, the fairing comes off w/just a few fasteners removed and then the only other thing you have to take off is the upper right cowl to expose the battery and that's about it. The slow part is cutting away the inner cowl (black-lower-inner-left) to get the Nautilus to fit w/out mashing up against the radiator (the nautilus is bigger and heavier than the stock horn), and re-enforcing the mount bracket for the added weight--I'll detail that w/pic's later. The cutting of the fairing was easy w/a dremmel, but taking it off and marking and reinstalling, so as not to over cut, took most of the time. I bet I did it 10-12 times until I got the right size area cut away. If you opt for FJRANDY's harness, he includes instructions and pictures to make that part (electrical) very easy. Matter of fact FJRANDY just bought a nautilus and is installing one on his bike. He has special plans for installing on his bike and his install process may be better and easier.

DonaldB:

Too bad you aren't my neighbor. I haven't turned a screw on this bike and I have so many nice farkles on the bike because I bought it that way.

It is easier to do these things with a person that has more knowledge about these things than I. I need to see it done one time and after that I would be fine.

I will take my time and get this done.....with shaking hands and a dremmel tool :lol:

I will print out all instructions I can find to get this done.

I know this, IT HAS TO BE DONE. These little meaningless horns don't cut it. I need some window shattering, make your nose bleed horns. Well, close to that. :)

Yes, I'm going to use FJRandy's wiring harness. I've read too many good things about it to not use it. This is a must as well as the horn.

I get NERVOUS with the thought of tearing my bike apart to do this  :dribble:
Don't be nervous, it really is a painless farkle. Total cost for all parts is around $40.00 and a couple of hours.

If you are nervous about tearing into your bike, first do a mock up of the wiring(unless you go with Randy's harness), so that it just lays around the outside of the bike before you spend all the time routing. This will put your mind at ease.

Thank you for your vote of confidence and I will tackle this after I see those awesome pictures of your install.

Definately get Randy's harness, it's worth the price and it makes the install much easier ;) Also, when you e-mail him, ask him about his nautilus install project!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, thank you....I'm flattered! :blushing:

But I've got some news for those considering the compact Nautilus. I just ordered one to install on mine, I'm replacing the Magnum Blasters. I recently found out this horn can be easily separated in order to mount the compressor on the right (battery) side and the horn on the left (clutch lever) side. All you need is a length of fuel line and a 5/16"X 1" OD hollow dowel. I'll be making a custom mouting plate so the compressor will mount as high up as possible. Then I'm going to do some creative trimming on the horn part to allow it to be mounted high up too.

Mounted horizontally, the compressor should fit perfectly on the right side factory horn bolt.

I was also tossing around the idea of selling the whole thing as a complete bolt-on kit. Problem is, I don't want to lay out the $$ for these horns, just to have them not move out of here. So this idea is a possibility, but not set in stone yet. Everything depends on how easy it will be to make everything fit right once the two pieces are separated.

I give my friend Bob credit or the idea, but I'm going to take this and run with it.

Stay tuned.......FJRandy's going down to the lab. ;)

And this time, LOTS of reference pics!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok donaldb, looks like we have the mad scientist, fjrandy, working on a tranformation of how we install horns on our bikes.

I can't wait to see your pictures and fjrandy's pictures.....this will really confuse me. I should go ahead and pull out these last two hairs I have on my head. :D

Randy - I'm very interested in buying your Nautilus package if you put it together. I'm hesitating on the MBs 'cause I have a MCL fork brace and am concerned about clearance for the horns. I need to find someone with the MBs so I can take a look.

If you were closer I'd show you how I installed my Magnum Blasters. The only trick is to get them as high up, outward, and angled to 45 degrees as possible.

The supplied brackets allow this to be done fairly easily.

The bottom line with supplying a complete kit for the compact Nautilus is that I'd most likely lose money on every one I made. When you do the math it ends up not profitable. Trust me, I wouldn't make a killing on it anyway. It keeps leaning more toward a loss after factoring in EVERYTHING that would have to be modified vs the time allowed to keep it in the black.

I might just supply all the parts needed, and give instructions on how to modify the two pieces. MUCH easier that way.