Install location for Nautilus horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Nautilus compact arrived Saturday, it's much smaller than the standard size I mistakenly originally ordered. I think I can work with this. PM Mogan for some more detail on how he was able to fit his. Will keep youse guys posted on how this goes.

Here are some pics (ableit crummy) of my installed nautilus compact. It's on the original location on the right side of the bike (looking from the front).

yv6t1072.jpg

yv6t1071.jpg

yv6t1060.jpg

yv6t1055.jpg

Be sure to use a relay and waterproof all of your electrical work. Bracket tigheting may need a bit of tweaking to make sure it's not rubbing anything.

Sorry for being thick but I'm not sure what you mean by right side looking at it from the front. Is that the side the clutch lever is on or the brake lever? Did you choose that side for any particular reason? I mean would it have fit on either side?

Thanx Mogan! I'm gonna have a farkle install fest w/in the next 2-3 weeks, all the stuff I have purchased will take me a full weekend+ to get it all handled. Your pic's and the assistance you've been is appreciated!

My Stebel Compact arrived last Friday and I spent about 3 hours Saturday morning trying to find a place for it on my US '03 without success.

I would really like to see how anyone else has done it.

Paint

Pictures posted!

Thanks!

How did you attach the horn? To the original bracket?

What gage wire did you use?

Did you remove the other side horn?

Thanks again.

Paint

Mogan, I am going to try and get FJRandy to work me up a harness based upon your pic's and mount location. I will advise him of your recommendation w/respect to the relay. Thanx-bd ;)

OK bd, I got your message and saw the pics. No problem. I just have to run one line of heavier gauge instead of two smaller lines. I like that compact unit. Might switch mine too. ;)

And about using a relay....ALL the harnesses I make use a top quality Bosch relay and fuse. You just plug the relay trigger wires into the right (brake) side fact horn wires and connect to the battery. Done.

Hey Mogan! I have placed an order w/FJRandy for my wiring harness. When you installed your horn did you take any of the plastic cowling off/loose? or did you install and dremmel w/plastic in place?

Hey Mogan! I have placed an order w/FJRandy for my wiring harness. When you installed your horn did you take any of the plastic cowling off/loose? or did you install and dremmel w/plastic in place?
Take off the left lower fairing, but leave the inner black piece there. Then see how far you can get the horn upward and outward before cutting the inner piece. It'll be cut and fit, cut and fit.

ok Randy! Like I told ya, I'm not in a rush for the harness, If I have to take the left fairing off to do the horn install, I am going to wait until my GSG sliders come in because I will have to take off both sides for slider install and I will just try and do a weekend farklefest, I have several farkles to install (riser blocks, bmw sport grips, vista cruise, nautilus horn, sliders, passenger leg extenders and can guards). WildHair said one of the farkles I ordered was on back order and would take 4-6 weeks to deliver. So I got another 3-5 weeks wait time. :D

Morgan: did you modify the original bracket? Did you use an additional piece between the original bracket and the compressor? On my '03 there is interferance with the fork tube at 2/3 lock.

Thanks

I've got a question - I'd like to upgrade my horns and am now considering this Nautilus compact mostly because it's one vice two horns. I've got the MCL fork brace and am concerned that mounting the horn on one of OEM brackets might make it open to "whackage" by the brace when making tight turns at low speed over bumps! Not at all concerned about hitting it under heavy braking in a straight line. I have not taken the large side fairing pieces off the bike yet - is there anywhere under the fairings to mount the horn? Hell, maybe I'll mount it on the front fender and make it look like a hood ornament from a 1929 Packard!

Thanks.

JimLor,

If you don't have ABS, you could try to locate it under the tool tray on the right side. There's also enough room just inboard of your foot brake pedal. I have ABS and the Wilbers hi/lo speed adjusters so I'm going to hang the horn below the right Aux. light bracket & keep my Magnums where they are.

If I remember correctly, it was suggested to remove the outer left lower panel and cut out the inner panel to accept the Nautilus.

dobias

Thanks Dobias, I do have ABS. I may even look at mounting it on top of the MCL brace! I'm not looking at Maxine right now, but that might be an answer...or maybe on the front wheel rear fender...I'll look near the foot brake too. Thanks for your input - I'll let you know where I finally stick it.

Jim

Thanks Dobias, I do have ABS. I may even look at mounting it on top of the MCL brace! I'm not looking at Maxine right now, but that might be an answer...or maybe on the front wheel rear fender...I'll look near the foot brake too. Thanks for your input - I'll let you know where I finally stick it.Jim
You probably don't want to mount it on the front fender or fork brace where it is going to get rattled by every bump in the road. Even if the horn can take the abuse your mounting bracket (or maybe fender) is subject to cracking

I've got a question - I'd like to upgrade my horns and am now considering this Nautilus compact mostly because it's one vice two horns.  I've got the MCL fork brace and am concerned that mounting the horn on one of OEM brackets might make it open to "whackage" by the brace when making tight turns at low speed over bumps! Not at all concerned about hitting it under heavy braking in a straight line.  I have not taken the large side fairing pieces off the bike yet - is there anywhere under the fairings to mount the horn?  Hell, maybe I'll mount it on the front fender and make it look like a hood ornament from a 1929 Packard!Thanks.
From the pics I've seen so far, and the one's I've installed so far, mount it as high up and angled (45 deg) as possible. I had the same problem with my Magnums. Hard right while heavy braking and the Super Brace caught the horn. If they're mounted straight like the factory horns, you WILL eventually hit them. If anyone hasn't hit them in the stock position yet, you're not riding hard enough, trust me. ;) The Magnums need to be mounted at 45 degrees to avoid this. Good news is the brackets bend like butter to allow the proper mounting position.

As far as the compact Nautilus...When (if?) I put one on mine, I'm going to cut out the left side inner black fairing and make a bracket to mount it flush. I don't think it would be a problem mounting it there on '04 and up either, by what I've seen.

These shots of my installation may help. Keep in mind my bike is a '03 and the details may be somewhat different. You see the idea. The instal is at the left side, from the pilot seat. Replaces the original horn/Blaster unit. The nut welded to the original bracket was ground off and drilled out to accept the larger bolt supplied with the Stebel. The bracket was muscle adjusted for the final fit. There is aprox. .25 inches between the first edition Super Brace and the Stebel housing.

MVC-025S.jpg

MVC-026S.jpg

MVC-027S.jpg

MVC-028S.jpg

I really wanted to install at the break house guide moiunts. Unfortunatly that would result in crunghing noised on hard breaking, Pitty.

Hope these help.

Thanx Tink for the good pic's. I do not have a super brace, but seeing how you cut the cowling, etc. helps w/my install.

Thanx to FJRandy :clap: :dance: :fans: :good: :good: :punk: ;) Received the harness over the weekend and so anyone out there considering aftermarket horn install take my advice, FJRRandy's work is top notch!!!!!!!!!!! get his harness, it'll make the job a lot easier, pic's and instructions are a definate plus. Thanx Randy!! Just waiting for my sliders to arrive and then while my fairings are off I will do the horn install all the same weekend.