'03-'05 FJR Fuel Cell. What are the current offereings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heh... that was about as expected as the sun coming up in the east... :lol:

I've tried messaging him on this forum, and an old aol email address I found on the FJRinfo site (the writeup he did on his cell design). Nothing so far... but Kaitsdad is supposedly going to see him in the next few days...

Hey.. question for you Rogue... do you have to take off the grabrails to get the cell to go on the bike?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone confirm the fitment of both the BLM Aux Fuel Cell and the yammi top box? I'm assuming they can both be fitted to the bike at the same time, but can the top box lid be opened up fully without interfering with the cell?

Cruel Rogue... :butcher: all us suffering Dean Tanji fuel cell wanna-buyers... next you'll be posting pictures of yours... oh the humanity! :cry:
I thought a bit about the Tanji cell myself, but I just don't think I could have gotten used to the surprise bike dips. You know that randomly the ass end of that thing has to compress as F18's land on your 3 acre rear carrier deck. :blink:

Heh... that was about as expected as the sun coming up in the east... :lol:
I've tried messaging him on this forum, and an old aol email address I found on the FJRinfo site (the writeup he did on his cell design). Nothing so far... but Kaitsdad is supposedly going to see him in the next few days...

Hey.. question for you Rogue... do you have to take off the grabrails to get the cell to go on the bike?

Yea, you pull the hand rails off, takes about 1 min. Dean is sometimes really busy with work and it takes a while for him to reply., I just checked, that AOL address is good.

I thought a bit about the Tanji cell myself, but I just don't think I could have gotten used to the surprise bike dips. You know that randomly the ass end of that thing has to compress as F18's land on your 3 acre rear carrier deck. :blink:
I'm thinking about carrying a goldwing on there on trips incase I get a flat or somrthing. :p

Hey girls :p

After seeing all the interest in the Tanji fuel cell, I called Dean the other day, so here's the scoop:

The fabricator that he has always used to weld the fuel cells has now retired. Dean has gotten quotes from several new fabricators, but they are all coming in WAY more expensive than his old one. This would raise the cost of his cell several hundred dollars. Dean feels his cell was priced pretty high to begin with, and now has doubts as to whether it would be viable with a significant price increase. He has lots of raw material from the orignal purchase way back when, he is just having difficulty finding somebody to fabricate the cell economically.

So.......I guess it comes down to how much are you willing to pay for one? IIRC, the first batch sold for about $1000.

Dean also said he has somebody coming by with an 06 FJR on Tuesday so he can check out new mounting options. He also said Tom Melchild (Cal24master) is in the process of modifying his Tanji cell to fit his new 06 FJR. Tom? Paging Tom. Any info?

Hey girls :p
After seeing all the interest in the Tanji fuel cell, I called Dean the other day, so here's the scoop:

The fabricator that he has always used to weld the fuel cells has now retired. Dean has gotten quotes from several new fabricators, but they are all coming in WAY more expensive than his old one. This would raise the cost of his cell several hundred dollars. Dean feels his cell was priced pretty high to begin with, and now has doubts as to whether it would be viable with a significant price increase. He has lots of raw material from the orignal purchase way back when, he is just having difficulty finding somebody to fabricate the cell economically.

So.......I guess it comes down to how much are you willing to pay for one? IIRC, the first batch sold for about $1000.

Dean also said he has somebody coming by with an 06 FJR on Tuesday so he can check out new mounting options. He also said Tom Melchild (Cal24master) is in the process of modifying his Tanji cell to fit his new 06 FJR. Tom? Paging Tom. Any info?
DSCF0414.jpg
Heres Dean and final install on TurboDaves "BlueJay" in 2005, article #6

Sounds like we need some help in locating an economical welder for Dean... Skyway, Garauld... anyone know of a good welder who is looking for some additional work? Maybe the OCC boys would be interested... :blink:

Sounds like we need some help in locating an economical welder for Dean... Skyway, Garauld... anyone know of a good welder who is looking for some additional work? Maybe the OCC boys would be interested... :blink:
I know of several quality welders, but until the owner of this product design speaks up, very little can be done to resurrect this fuel cell. I know I can handle the machining aspect if need be, but good quality tig welding will have to be sourced elsewhere. I am willing to look at helping out in any way I can, even though at this point I am leaning toward the BLM cell.

Somebody still needs to answer my question about the BLM Cell and the yammi top box. Any takers?

Skyway,

Just trying to keep the ball rolling (or at least keep it from disappearing off the edge of the cliff), any meeting of the minds between you and Dean yet? Anyone else able to drum up a fabrication lead for Dean's tanks?

Skyway,
Just trying to keep the ball rolling (or at least keep it from disappearing off the edge of the cliff), any meeting of the minds between you and Dean yet? Anyone else able to drum up a fabrication lead for Dean's tanks?
I've got a fabricator. Just get the plans. We can all go out for quotes. If he doesn't want to fab the tanks, then maybe some of you friends can talk him into selling the plans with specs, warnings, parts lists and sources. and also any leftover parts he still has. :clapping:

Bruce

Skyway,

I've got a fabricator. Just get the plans. We can all go out for quotes. If he doesn't want to fab the tanks, then maybe some of you friends can talk him into selling the plans with specs, warnings, parts lists and sources. and also any leftover parts he still has. :clapping:

Bruce

Well I've only met Dean once but from the craftsmanship of mine and seeing his garage I think he may be reluctant to turn over the QC of the tanks to someone else.

Well I've only met Dean once but from the craftsmanship of mine and seeing his garage I think he may be reluctant to turn over the QC of the tanks to someone else.
But isn't that craftmanship a result of the welder who he no longer has access to? The USA is a big place, I imagine there's a welder out there somewhere who can do a similar job for a similar cost... and maybe he/she is on the east coast... or in Houston, or Detroit...

Skyway,
No I haven't talked to Dean, but if he is at the up-coming Cal24 as he was last year, I'll ask him what the future holds for his cell.

But isn't that craftmanship a result of the welder who he no longer has access to? The USA is a big place, I imagine there's a welder out there somewhere who can do a similar job for a similar cost... and maybe he/she is on the east coast... or in Houston, or Detroit...

True, but it would still be turning it over to someone esle and taking their word for it that the QC would be the same. And I may be totally wrong, Like I said I've only met Dean once.

True, but it would still be turning it over to someone esle and taking their word for it that the QC would be the same. And I may be totally wrong, Like I said I've only met Dean once.
QC is only an issue if it is going into production. Jeeze look at the welds on the FJR. The bike is not worthy of the Tanji Fuel Cell, except that it performs. I can get welds to look that good if you got the money, certainly good enough. If it's safe and functional - it's good. I have been reluctant to say this but... I do not believe there is a patent applied for on the cell. Once someone gets enough motivation there will be knock offs. I want to pay him for the plans or a cell, but still no response. But I'm just a FNG.

We'll see what happens. I got another aux. cell comming - that may be good enough.

Bruce

Skyway,
Groo - Just want to let you know that I have made contact with Dean Tanji. He and I will be getting together in the near future to discuss the fabrication of his fuel cell. I'll keep you posted.

I'll keep you posted.
Keep us all posted. I feel a number of us would be interested. I do like the design of his compared to some i've seen. If I see myself spending around a grand anyway, I'd be more than interested in his design if he's willing to make a fair number of them in one shot. Thanks skyway for doing some digging on this.

Mike

Skyway,

Groo - Just want to let you know that I have made contact with Dean Tanji. He and I will be getting together in the near future to discuss the fabrication of his fuel cell. I'll keep you posted.
Muchas Gracias Sky.... I'm still incredibly interested if you guys can come up with a manufacturing solution... as I imagine many others would be too. Thanks a million for not letting it drop! :clapping: