'03-'05 FJR Fuel Cell. What are the current offereings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I'll be looking to sell my Tanji fuel cell when I return from my 5 week trip west. I love the cell, but I ran out of real estate to mount it when I installed my audiovox cruise (and all the other crap I have under there).

I'm not sure what a fair price is. I think I paid $1,000 plus new plumbing. Barely used. If interested, PM me in early October.

Mogan

Looks like I'll be looking to sell my Tanji fuel cell when I return from my 5 week trip west. I love the cell, but I ran out of real estate to mount it when I installed my audiovox cruise (and all the other crap I have under there).
I'm not sure what a fair price is. I think I paid $1,000 plus new plumbing. Barely used. If interested, PM me in early October.

Mogan

Put it on E-Bay! From all the guys here that want one you might get $15,000-$20,000! :D :D :D :D

Put it on E-Bay! From all the guys here that want one you might get $15,000-$20,000! :D :D :D :D
Yeah, I'm wishing I could weld Aluminum, (and have even wondered if I should go to tech school on the side to try it) if I could build fuel cells like this, I figure I could have 2 FJR's....
elated.gif
elated.gif

-bvw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been considering selling mine, one of the three originals. I will probably upgrade to an 07 and this will not fit without modification which has been done by tom Melchild. But I don't know if I can get used stopping for gas every 220 miles. What to do, what to do?

Can anyone confirm the fitment of both the BLM Aux Fuel Cell and the yammi top box? I'm assuming they can both be fitted to the bike at the same time, but can the top box lid be opened up fully without interfering with the cell?
Any takers on this? I keep the rally stuff in a Givi360. Won't leave home without it.

I've talked with bill and he believes the tank will fit with the top box. He has one tank in stock for an 05. But I would like to wait and see if anything will happen with these dean tanji ones. I don't need it until next year anyway. Riding season will be over in a couple of months anyway for me.

Devanator

For all you fellas that said you might be interested if I were selling my Tanji fuel cell, I can't reply now and won't turn my attention to this until after my 5 week trip. :)

I've got a little ride coming up that screams fuel cell, and since the Tanji looks to be gone the way of the dinosaur, I just want to know what other options are out there right now. You guys who have already got one mounted up, are you happy with it, would you change it in any way, pro's & con's? Are any particular brands more reliable than others.
These bad boys are big ticket items, so I want to be sure I'm not getting into a lemon.
Well, little did I know that this has been on quite a few rider's minds; so I'm glad I tripped over this thread:

I would love to have the Dean Tanji Auxiliary Fuel Tank as I think it is athletically perfect for the bike. I called Dean and he said that if we could get 20 to 30 of us to place solid orders he would consider whipping 'em up. They won't be cheap (no actual price yet, but for sure more than the originals) but they are a proven entity.

Now that so many people are now buying the new 2006 & 2007 bikes, it is a real need for the LD riding community.

I did read how the older models have been converted BUTT man...that is a lot of work, plus there just are not that many around to be bought or converted. So working on a new platform will require a whole new rework of his great design.

So, I will sign up for one confirmed order, and it looks like after reading this thread...we have at least five so lets get the word out and see if we can get at least 20-30 to follow so that we can twist his arm to start the production of 2006-2007 aux tanks. :yahoo:

And some of us are '05 owners who need the older version, not a redesigned one.

Dean has been very busy and will be visiting my shop when he gets some time. If it can be done in a way that can please everyone who wants one, I will try to work it out.

Since the FJR has now changed from previous model years, the only logical way forward with this design is to build a standard tank with a bolt on interface suitable to match all model years.

Well maybe mine will be on the block especially if the new Kawi GTR1400 is what they say it might be. But the way my FJR is set up I don't know if I could go through the times setting it up like we went through with the FJR when brought to the US. Could be fun though.