03 Mufflers for an 08?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08FJR4ME

-WYNPRO-
Reaction score
I did a parts look up and the #'s are different.

2003= 5JW-14720-10-00

2008= 3P6-14720-10-00

Can anyone confirm if these are usable on my 2008? I would like to try some modifications with them to use on my feejer. They look close enough just wondering if someone has used both at one point.

I would like to cut the ends off to see whats inside for one reason. I wouldn't mind trying to make some shorty's all gutted out for those days you want to ride with the HD's. ;)

Dave

I did a parts look up and the #'s are different.

2003= 5JW-14720-10-00

2008= 3P6-14720-10-00

Can anyone confirm if these are usable on my 2008? I would like to try some modifications with them to use on my feejer. They look close enough just wondering if someone has used both at one point.

I would like to cut the ends off to see whats inside for one reason. I wouldn't mind trying to make some shorty's all gutted out for those days you want to ride with the HD's. ;)

Dave

The part numbers are different because '06 and up mufflers have cats in them in addition to the ones in the headpipe. Dimensionally, the Gen I mufflers will bolt right up. I have '05 mufflers on my '08.

Thanks for that info. Out of curiousity, why did you change. Was it to avoid the cats on the 06 and up mufflers? I never new I had cat's in my 08 mufflers. "Interesting" Must be why she purr's so great for me! :D

Thanks for that info. Out of curiousity, why did you change. Was it to avoid the cats on the 06 and up mufflers? I never new I had cat's in my 08 mufflers. "Interesting" Must be why she purr's so great for me! :D
I wanted to eliminate the cats. I used my decatted headpipe from my '05 as well. There is a 300 degree temperature difference where the cats are located in the headpipe (infra-red surface temp). I like to keep the heat down for summer riding and that's why I sold my '05; it threw too much heat off.