'04 FJR Long-term Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TahoeBound

Reaction score
With all the first impressions/new owners I've been reading about, I thought I'd add my long-term impressions:

Bought a new Wing (ABS, Nav, Heated stuff) a couple months ago. This was to supercede my '04 FJR (still had, but in the Cycle Trader). Goal was a "family" decision - safer (ABS, slower, less performance, makes be behave) & supremely comfortable for wife & kids, even though they probably ride with me less than 10%.

Well, goals accomplished. Unfortunately, 1,000 miles into Wing ownership, I find I MUCH prefer riding the FJR! Don't get me wrong, the Wing is a sweet ride - far better than a 900lb motorcycle should be & the perfect two-up bike. But its not getting it - I walk in the garage & ssschwing when I see the FJR and almost no emotional reaction to the Wing! Weird too, but after having the electronic windshield on the FJR, I'm not sure I can ever have another bike without it. And the Wing don't. And don't get me going on the Wing's front end & Nav system!

I'll give the Wing another month or two (maybe), but it's highly likely the Wing and FJR will be sold before summer to make room for a brand new '07 or '08 FJR. With the now standard ABS & key accessories added, I think I can reasonably accomplish the original goals.

In the end I guess this is a tribute & testament to the overall goodness of the FJR. 4.5 years and 45K of ownership & its still the bike for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how you feel. I had a 01 wing and I have a 04 wing, bought in late 03, now I have my new 08 FJR...man what a ride !!!!!!! The wing is a great bike but the FJR is just so much fun. :D

I know how you feel. I went from a FZ1 to a cruiser for what sounds like the same reason you did. While the cruiser has some low end torque, I miss that big smile that the FZ1 gave me, and I got that on the test drive with the FJR. So even though I have only had the cruiser for one year, I am calling it a loss and getting a FJR this year most likely.

Last fall the wife and I flew to Phoenix and rented a wing for 5 days. Loved the stereo with the I pod & plenty of comfort for her, but no replacement for my 04 FJR. 45K? Just broke in.

With all the first impressions/new owners I've been reading about, I thought I'd add my long-term impressions:
Bought a new Wing (ABS, Nav, Heated stuff) a couple months ago. This was to supercede my '04 FJR (still had, but in the Cycle Trader). Goal was a "family" decision - safer (ABS, slower, less performance, makes be behave) & supremely comfortable for wife & kids, even though they probably ride with me less than 10%.

Well, goals accomplished. Unfortunately, 1,000 miles into Wing ownership, I find I MUCH prefer riding the FJR! Don't get me wrong, the Wing is a sweet ride - far better than a 900lb motorcycle should be & the perfect two-up bike. But its not getting it - I walk in the garage & ssschwing when I see the FJR and almost no emotional reaction to the Wing! Weird too, but after having the electronic windshield on the FJR, I'm not sure I can ever have another bike without it. And the Wing don't. And don't get me going on the Wing's front end & Nav system!

I'll give the Wing another month or two (maybe), but it's highly likely the Wing and FJR will be sold before summer to make room for a brand new '07 or '08 FJR. With the now standard ABS & key accessories added, I think I can reasonably accomplish the original goals.

In the end I guess this is a tribute & testament to the overall goodness of the FJR. 4.5 years and 45K of ownership & its still the bike for me.
This is scary!! I'm in the exact same situation!! I've had my '04 FJR for two years and LOVE the bike. It is the first bike I've owned that I truly feel "connected" to as a rider. (Trust me I don't have some sick perversion about it) It's more from the confidence that is gained by riding the FJR and everything else that goes with it. I purchased an '07 Wing last feb with the same set up...Nav, Prem Audio, Heated seats and grips etc.... I hate to say it, the Wing only has 2500 miles on it and that includes the week long 2200 mile trip the wife and I took. I've put over 10K on the FJR in the same time period. The Wing is nice, but the FJR draws you in. I also am trying to convince my wife to let me sell the Wing. I figure with the money I get, the new Ducati 848 would make a good second bike to the FJR.......Always an angle when it comes to our two wheel addiction......Ray