04' with 44K quieter than 08' with less than 3K??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new 09 goes, stops, and turns as good or better than my 04. It runs cooler, the instruments are nicer (the goofy idiot lights on the 04 were a constant source of irritation for me), the brakes are better, ergonomics are more easily adjustable, the stock screen is better, and the lower gearing is better on the highway.

And I don't see how anyone can argue with the simple fact that an 09 is by far the best looking year, plus the black wheels hide the brake dust.

What's not to love?

Any of you Gen1 lovers want to buy my 04? https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=126349

My new 09 goes, stops, and turns as good or better than my 04. It runs cooler, the instruments are nicer (the goofy idiot lights on the 04 were a constant source of irritation for me), the brakes are better, ergonomics are more easily adjustable, the stock screen is better, and the lower gearing is better on the highway.
And I don't see how anyone can argue with the simple fact that an 09 is by far the best looking year, plus the black wheels hide the brake dust.

What's not to love?

Any of you Gen1 lovers want to buy my 04? https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=126349
Dave...Dave...Dave -- where should I start?

Howzabout...

My new 09 goes, stops, and turns as good or better than my 04.

It's got the same motor as a Gen I, but LOTS more weight, plus HIGHER gearing, so it can't "goes" as good or better than an 04.

The aforementioned weight will make it stop longer than an 04 and the linked brakes prevent 1/4 of the braking power on the front from working, so they're only there as a selling point, or to help a hamfisted (or -footed) rider from screwin' up, so the "stops" is also invalid.

And since the bike uses the same size wheels and tires as a Gen I, they're out of the equation, so again the added weight, PLUS the longer wheelbase of a Gen II keeps it from turning as good or better.....

So far, if you only count facts and not opinion, physics says your Oh-for-Three.

Let's see what's left...

It runs cooler

I guess you mean "the rider is cooler" since I bet the motor runs the same temp, either generation. Accuracy is everything! :)

Not having spent a Central Florida summer hossin' around a Gen II, I can't argue on that point, but owning an 04 that doesn't have a heat problem, I'd have to say the "issue" is a tempest in a tea pot. But I'll give you this one, just 'cause I'm feelin' generous.

Anything left?

the instruments are nicer (the goofy idiot lights on the 04 were a constant source of irritation for me)

Pure opinion. Let's see you switch your instruments from MPH to KPH. :) And how about those really easy-to-read numerals on the speedo and tach!!

Anything else?

the brakes are better

Explain to me how? The linky thingy keeps 1/4th of the front brakes from working from the brake lever on the bar, so that's out, and the "improved ABS" that Yamaha advertises for late model Gen IIs is simply more marketing-speak. The only time ABS comes in to play is emergency situations, so any "improvement" isn't going to be something that manifests itself in day-to-day normal riding.

Sheesh, this is too easy!

ergonomics are more easily adjustable

You finally get one!!! :yahoo: I guess Helibar is goin' outta business now!

the stock screen is better

How? It's more scratch resistant? That's a great reason to buy a slower, heavier bike. :p

and the lower gearing is better on the highway.

I bet you're one of those "I want a 6th gear" guys, aren't ya? :glare:

More opinion, not fact. And that only proves two things:

1 - You like black, and

2 - You're too lazy to wash your wheels

What's not to love?

How about the extra weight and reduced performance?

Last, but not least.....

From your own ad --

great bike. Fast, comfortable.
So, a Gen I ain't so bad, hun? And then there's

It could use a new front tire, and the front brake pads are done.
How about a little truth-in-advertising?

For sale, one crappy, POS 2004 FJR1300. I've been hamfisted enough to drop this overweight beast, which weighs LESS than its replacement, resulting in a few scratches and a ding in the tank. Plus I've been riding around with a worn-out front tire and worn-out brakes, so it doesn't handle and stop as well as an "Adult-owned, well-maintained" motorcycle should.
My work here is done.

:p

Last edited by a moderator:

What's not to love?

Dave...Dave...Dave -- where should I start?

Howzabout...

My new 09 goes, stops, and turns as good or better than my 04.

It's got the same motor as a Gen I, but LOTS more weight, plus HIGHER gearing, so it can't "goes" as good or better than an 04.

The aforementioned weight will make it stop longer than an 04 and the linked brakes prevent 1/4 of the braking power on the front from working, so they're only there as a selling point, or to help a hamfisted (or -footed) rider from screwin' up, so the "stops" is also invalid.

And since the bike uses the same size wheels and tires as a Gen I, they're out of the equation, so again the added weight, PLUS the longer wheelbase of a Gen II keeps it from turning as good or better.....

So far, if you only count facts and not opinion, physics says your Oh-for-Three.

Let's see what's left...

It runs cooler

I guess you mean "the rider is cooler" since I bet the motor runs the same temp, either generation. Accuracy is everything! :)

Not having spent a Central Florida summer hossin' around a Gen II, I can't argue on that point, but owning an 04 that doesn't have a heat problem, I'd have to say the "issue" is a tempest in a tea pot. But I'll give you this one, just 'cause I'm feelin' generous.

Anything left?

the instruments are nicer (the goofy idiot lights on the 04 were a constant source of irritation for me)

Pure opinion. Let's see you switch your instruments from MPH to KPH. :) And how about those really easy-to-read numerals on the speedo and tach!!

Anything else?

the brakes are better

Explain to me how? The linky thingy keeps 1/4th of the front brakes from working from the brake lever on the bar, so that's out, and the "improved ABS" that Yamaha advertises for late model Gen IIs is simply more marketing-speak. The only time ABS comes in to play is emergency situations, so any "improvement" isn't going to be something that manifests itself in day-to-day normal riding.

Sheesh, this is too easy!

ergonomics are more easily adjustable

You finally get one!!! :yahoo: I guess Helibar is goin' outta business now!

the stock screen is better

How? It's more scratch resistant? That's a great reason to buy a slower, heavier bike. :p

and the lower gearing is better on the highway.

I bet you're one of those "I want a 6th gear" guys, aren't ya? :glare:

More opinion, not fact. And that only proves two things:

1 - You like black, and

2 - You're too lazy to wash your wheels

What's not to love?

How about the extra weight and reduced performance?

Last, but not least.....

From your own ad --

great bike. Fast, comfortable.
So, a Gen I ain't so bad, hun? And then there's

It could use a new front tire, and the front brake pads are done.
How about a little truth-in-advertising?

For sale, one crappy, POS 2004 FJR1300. I've been hamfisted enough to drop this overweight beast, which weighs LESS than its replacement, resulting in a few scratches and a ding in the tank. Plus I've been riding around with a worn-out front tire and worn-out brakes, so it doesn't handle and stop as well as an "Adult-owned, well-maintained" motorcycle should.
My work here is done.

:p
Darn, and I really loved my new bike... I guess I was wrong. (<= that's sarcasm, btw.)

Besides, the gearing is higher, not lower. It's the engine RPM that's lower. Let's get it right, m'K? :D

Ooh, Howie found the Vader icon! Cool!

Besides, the gearing is higher, not lower. It's the engine RPM that's lower. Let's get it right, m'K? :D
Ya, ...I was going to comment on that as well, but the whole post was so flawed

......Howie was nice enough to correct the misguided fellow, and hopefully the young man will attempt to put some facts rather than nonesene next time around. Surely no one purposely intends to look so foolish.

BTW: Am I the only one getting tired of this??

**I mean repeatedly we're being told un-truths by the Gen2 folks as they attempt to justify buying a fatter, slower and less reliable bike than the Gen1 bikes.

---->At least IMO, there is no crime in owning a Gen2, there is no crime in being proud about owning a Gen2. But to speak utter nonsense void of facts is really pathetic.

Why not have the intellectual honesty to say:

"I'm a gen2 owner and i'm proud of it. For me the heavier and slower bike is perfect for my needs, I understand that from a performance standpoint my bike is inferior to the Gen1, but for me, it is just fine. I come from a Harley background, -and when Yamaha purposely dumbed-down the FJR to attract riders such as myself ....well, I obliged and it was the best move for me."

Now something honest and sincere like the above statement would give instant credibility -but instead we constantly see ridiculous statements. Look no further than this thread to prove my point.

War!!! It's war, I tell you!!! Nothing else will do!!!!

At least we can get away if it looks like we're gonna lose . . . . .

What was the topic again?

Its Gen1 Versus Gen2, whats the Score! You are all missing the point it should not be between the pro's and con's of Gen1's versus Gen 2's its the Colors MAN. And Galaxy Blue always wins hands down! Or is this thread about a gen1 being quieter running than a Gen2. That I can not say for certain. After listening to a Gen2 the other day I would say the tone of the engine is a little different. Maybe because of the different fuel injection. But I would not say it is quieter. And I sure as hell would not compare an FJR to a Harley. Yamaha built a full line of cruisers for market segment.

:yahoo: Summed it up beautifully.
Oh Christ! What a rejoinder! I might have to kill myself now.

[SIZE=8pt](note to self: 'zilla is a dikpimple. A slower, heavier dikpimple, but a dikpimple nonetheless)[/SIZE]
Killing yourself now!! OH WHAT A TRAGEDY. Never knowing the jubilation, the enhancement, the emotional arousal,the sensation of riding/owning the supreme machine that is.... the GEN2.

I can't type any more.....The tears, weep, sob. :cray:

:yahoo: Summed it up beautifully.
Oh Christ! What a rejoinder! I might have to kill myself now.

[SIZE=8pt](note to self: 'zilla is a dikpimple. A slower, heavier dikpimple, but a dikpimple nonetheless)[/SIZE]
REJOINDER......Huh......Ok, Ok, you had me scrambling for the dictionary. :dntknw:

Good lord! & I got yelled at for calling gen 2 owners eletists? You guys have managed to get 3 pages out of this crap.

For the record, I had my bike worked on by a gen2 owner last year, who rode it a few times. He says that my stock bike with over 70,000 miles runs better & smoother than his gen2 that sports a PC3. :D

Good lord! & I got yelled at for calling gen 2 owners eletists? You guys have managed to get 3 pages out of this crap.
For the record, I had my bike worked on by a gen2 owner last year, who rode it a few times. He says that my stock bike with over 70,000 miles runs better & smoother than his gen2 that sports a PC3. :D

This phrase needs to be used for the 2nd time this year......... HE LIES!

:clapping:

Don't get so defensive, Gen II guys....
Hell, I dated a fat chick once, too, and aren't to ashamed to admit it.

Move on already.
Yep, ...and in the case of the FJR the cost of entry is MORE! Typically fat chicks can be had at a discount. Makes you question the wisdom of the Gen2phools.

But, trust me when I tell you that it isn't the money that keeps *me* away from Gen2 bikes.

My latest purchase (gen1 to gen1): Nothing I'd have liked more than to take a step forward -and nothing I'd like to see more than Mama Yama move forward with this platform. But, in reality, the opposite is happening. Meanwhile other manufacturers are making their bikes lighter and stronger -uhh, -yep more reliable too.

**And the dirty secret: It is by design:

Howie, your Harley analogy is dead-on-target and if you look a the vast quantity of Harley guyz and galz moving to the FJR -this is not by accident.

Yamaha has set their sites to carve into the Harley niche and pick up some of that market share. From the influx of Harley owners we've seen come into the FJR community (look no further than this forum) it is obvious. MamaYama's "dumbing-down" of the FJR has been effective in their desire to capture more and more of the Harley segment of the market.

From '03, when a cutting-edge sport touring machine came out, and just 3years later the pounds performance and unreliability started building by the year. Today, no sign of letting up.

*Slower and heavier by the year .....and IMO same can be said for the folks buying them. And, a calculated and purposeful move by MamaYama, these are the folks they're targeting, and it's working.
I resemble that remark. :glare:

I thought it was "Girls rule, Boys drool"? Which is very true BTW.

And what's a "gin I"? Can I mix it with some tonic and a lime to make a nice cocktail?

I think there's a bunch of guys out there without enough work to do. Why aren't all you inferiority-complex-ified Gen1 owners out riding instead of sitting at your keyboards?

And even though I DO have enough work to do, and DON'T spend all my time at the keyboard, I need to respond to Mr Howie's point about weight: who the F cares if the Gen2 is a little porkier? I could give a bit less than a rat's ass if a Gen2 is a teeny bit heavier. We all know it's all about how cool the bike makes you look in front of chicks, and for that Gen2 wipes the floor with Gen1.

I think there's a bunch of guys out there without enough work to do. Why aren't all you inferiority-complex-ified Gen1 owners out riding instead of sitting at your keyboards?
And even though I DO have enough work to do, and DON'T spend all my time at the keyboard, I need to respond to Mr Howie's point about weight: who the F cares if the Gen2 is a little porkier? I could give a bit less than a rat's ass if a Gen2 is a teeny bit heavier. We all know it's all about how cool the bike makes you look in front of chicks, and for that Gen2 wipes the floor with Gen1.
Chicks dig linked brakes? :huh:

You are right though, all those clean shiny Gen II bikes are attractive. All us with the I's have bug splats everywhere, dirt and dust in the nooks and crannies, and road grime... oh the unsightly road grime. I think it has to do with our bikes being ridden. A lot. :p

Gen II owners rule, gin I ownerz drool. :assassin:
You Gen II zombies can't get ANYTHING right, can ya?

It's "Cats rule, Dogs drool!"

Can't you at least TRY a little harder?

:finger:

That clarifies it for me. You Gen I guys rule, just like the pussy. Cool. :glare: