'06 excessive driveline lash

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 bmwhd,

I just did the shim installation. Made a big difference with the "herky jerky".

thank you fred. Your efforts have paid off big time for us. This is not the same bike i brought home 3 months ago. Its much much better.

GreyGoose

Fred, can you re-post your link to the throttle cam? I know this is 11 years later but I am just now dealing with the problem on an '07. Your link takes me to Non-existent gallery specified in URL.

Fred H hasn't been on the forum since April, 2009.

Current solutions for abrupt throttle in 2006-07 model years (especially) are the use of a Power Commander to adjust for lean fuelling at low throttle openings and the use of an aftermarket G2 throttle tube and cam to provide improved control at lower throttle rates. As for me, I have learned to live with the response issues and don't even notice it anymore. I bought the bike slightly used around 8 years and 170,000 miles ago. It came with a Power Commander which I removed because of fuel consumption issues.

Also - adjust throttle cables to remove most of the slack. Don't overdo this because the throttle could bind, especially when the wheel is turned to one side.

Got my 06 few months ago, I have that throttle tube on it, but have learned to go to 2nd quick at a left light,, or drag clutch as I take a left from a stop.

Insticts kinda took over to be smooth at that low throttle, or don't burp throttle in turn,, smooth always.

Dang I love this bike over 4k rpm.

Thanks for reply. Put G2 cam on and adjusted throttle slack. Did Barbarian Jumper and adjusted CO. My problem is in 3rd or 4th going from decel to accel in sharp turns. My backlash is about 1 7/8". Thought that was excessive but reading here not so. Will check/grease all splines and u-joint on next tire change (that usually doesn't take long). As far as the pumpkin all I read is better take to a qualified mechanic but I've found none around here that knows what I'm talking about. It will be last resort before I crack that nut (or is it a gourd?).

Will try higher idle speed and reduce center spring tension next I have the tank off . Meanwhile I'm going to try running in lower gears; let it scream, see if that helps me any. I know PC III, IV, V or whatever is supposed to help but that's a pricey test, and i don't want to kill gas mileage.

Technique...

... My problem is in 3rd or 4th going from decel to accel in sharp turns ...

Try this:

Brake a little more while youre still upright, then adjust the throttle to take up the slack before initiating the turn. Once you start the turn the throttle should already be set and ready to accelerate out of it. It takes practice to be smooth, especially on an 06 or 07.

Brodie

😉

Last edited by a moderator:
After putting on a PC3, which, with the right map DID fix the jerky throttle, but cost me 5-7 mpg, which is unacceptable to me.

Putting on the G2 throttle tamer {and using my dremel tool to make the cam even smaller}.

Changing the CO settting {up 8 points}.

I finally fixed the "light switch" throttle by doing Fred H's copper wire trick. SWEEEEEET.

Finally.

Anyone want to buy a PC3????

Has anyone looked into re-flashing the ECU to fix this problem? My '06 came with a Power Commander installed and Leo Vince exhaust. The mileage on the highway when touring is disappointing.

Has anyone looked into re-flashing the ECU to fix this problem? My '06 came with a Power Commander installed and Leo Vince exhaust. The mileage on the highway when touring is disappointing.
Don't think anyone has ever re-flashed an FJR ECU. Talked about a few times, but never done, not even by companies that claim they can.

After putting on a PC3, which, with the right map DID fix the jerky throttle, but cost me 5-7 mpg, which is unacceptable to me.
Putting on the G2 throttle tamer {and using my dremel tool to make the cam even smaller}.

Changing the CO settting {up 8 points}.

I finally fixed the "light switch" throttle by doing Fred H's copper wire trick. SWEEEEEET.

Finally.

Anyone want to buy a PC3????
that ^^^^ worked for me...also upped the idle to 1200...wrist training helps too...

mcatrophy posted: Don't think anyone has ever re-flashed an FJR ECU. Talked about a few times, but never done, not even by companies that claim they can.
(As posted on related thread ...)

Didn't MNFJR flash his 2013 (Gen3) ECU to bump up the cruise control limit? Can't find it now ....

It's worth PM'ing him to ask, I suppose.

(As posted on related thread ...)
<snip> Didn't MNFJR flash his 2013 (Gen3) ECU to bump up the cruise control limit? Can't find it now ....
...yup he did 'Hud, (j/k) purchased and installed a 2014 ECU - that terrible limiting CC "problem" went right away!

rolleyes.gif

--G