06 Mirriors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone with the shakes should torque their nuts. These are dealer installed and they never torque anything. With peoples nuts and mirrors falling off they sure weren't torqued right. I made sure mine were torqued at the set up and I have had no trouble with my nuts or them shaking. Both of mine are solid up to ---- oh very fast.

However if you trust your dealer -- just let them shake.

a couple things to check.
1) note if the rubber gromet is installed correctly on both sides -- if any sticks out, they are installed upside down. (my right was like this -- it is installed by the dealer, not the factory)

2) as already mentioned -- check the bolts. When you check them -- make sure you torque them the same.

Factory torque should be 5.1 Ft*lbs. (M6 nut)

FWIW -- after I straightened out the gromet, and used a torque wrench (double torqued all 4 bolts), no more vibration.
Hmm ... both of my gromets stick out but only the right mirror vibrates. By "stick out" do you mean that the gromets should not be at all visible from the outside (IE: the mirror stalks mount flush to the fairing)?

I had the same problem.....left solid, right vibration or blurry. I told my dealer about it at my first service and they made sure the mirror was tightened properly. When it still vibrated, they decided to replace the mirror, but unfortunately it didn't fix the problem.

I haven't gone back to them figuring it wasn't worth persuing. Now after reading all these posts that a lot of others are having the same issue, there's got to be something on the right side in connection with the mounting of the mirror, the engine, and the cowling. I've noticed the higher the rpm the more it vibrates.

Guess we'll have to wait and see if Mamma Yamma comes up with something. Everyone needs to tell their dealer about the problem though. Maybe if Yamaha get's enough right mirror replacement orders under warranty they will investigate it. Or not.

If it doesn't get corrected, so what, I LOVE THIS BIKE!

Smoke

Last edited by a moderator:
My right one vibrates too - between 4,000 and 4,500 rpm (70-80 mph). I got the dealer to replace the mirror - had no effect. I have checked the nuts - I tried adding some rubber between the mirror and the cowl - no effect.

It's extremely irritating and I hope Yamaha have a fix for it.

Alan

both mirrors are pretty solid on mine - however, I'm currently working on a '06 aux light bracket that could be used as a spacer to move the mirrors out a tad.

What do you think? 3/4"? I don't know if they could be extended much beyond that witout looking sort of dorkie.
I'd be interested in a set of those brackets, 3/4" up and out, seems right for me, don't want "west coast style" trucker mirrors just trying to move elbows out of center frame.

Has anyone actually taken the '06 mirrors off and compared them to the '03-'05's. The mount area is so small it "appears" that the spacing on the mirror studs is very close to how the older FJR mirrors mount. If so, that means the ever-popular FZ-1 mirror farkle might work.

Please, no opinions, but a side-by-side comparison or actual measurement. That means the driving light brackets might also work with a little modification.

The above is just my opinion/query after seeing the '06 bikes next to the previous generations at WFO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone actually taken the '06 mirrors off and compared them to the '03-'05's. The mount area is so small it "appears" that the spacing on the mirror studs is very close to how the older FJR mirrors mount. If so, that means the ever-popular FZ-1 mirror farkle might work.
Please, no opinions, but a side-by-side comparison or actual measurement. That means the driving light brackets might also work with a little modification.

The above is just my opinion/query after seeing the '06 bikes next to the previous generations at WFO.

I took my 06 mirrors off and compared them with a set of 04's I have. Identical fitting. But the 06 mirrors weigh a ton compared to the 04 ones.

As to the vibration, I found some rubber grommets about 1/4" thick and put them between the mirrors and the fairing. A quick static test (rev to around 4,000 rpm with the bike on the centre stand) shows it seems to be much improved - but only a rolling test will prove it.

Alan

Me thinketh that the mirror vibration is just syptomatic of the vibration or buzz in general to some

FJR's. I have added heavier bar ends, custom grips, untighten and retighten various bolts and screws

and I still get some vibration (buzz) that comes through the right side of the hand bar.

I suspect all those that experience the mirror vibration also experience the other problems as well to a greater or lesser degree.

Mind you, I am not complaining about it.........I love my FJR but like others, the FJR is not the end result

to the perfect bike design.......although for me it is very close......at least for the sport touring bike class.

NC

I've just learned to keep my speed up :D Over 4,100 RPM, my right mirror goes solid again. I even keep the bike in 4th sometimes just so I can see in traffic.

Apparently, Yamaha still hasn't found the cause of the buzzy mirrors, since my '08 is doing the same thing....Left mirror perfectly clear, while the right mirror is buzzy... :angry2:

Apparently, Yamaha still hasn't found the cause of the buzzy mirrors, since my '08 is doing the same thing....Left mirror perfectly clear, while the right mirror is buzzy... :angry2:
Throttle body sync helps. PCIII with Wally's smoothness map cures (at least for me).

This may sound a bit odd, but I really wouldn't be nearly as annoyed by this if it was both mirrors instead of just one mirror that had the vibration problem. Since I know that it is possible to get the mirror stable (on the left), I want the right mirror to be clear as well...

For all of you looking for a mirror spacer to extend the mirror out more, go to "Parts and Accessories", Brackets for aux lights, originally started by Jazzzzz. The process is getting pretty close to being fulfilled.