06 Needs New FI Map

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where does the class action law suit line start for us 06 owners?
The moment that happens is the moment I abandon my research on this issue, and will back up Yamaha to the hilt in fighting any legal action against them. I'll turn over everything I have to help Yamaha defeat a class action suit.

That's how strongly I feel about going to the lawyers to solve this problem, or any problem with the bike, quite frankly.
Um, Warchild, I think he was kidding when he said that B)

Yeah, your sarcasm meter needs checked :D
I don't get that kind of sarcasm either.

<_<
I haveth no problems with my throttle response, but I do want my mileage put back on my ODO. That's a half assed recall if I've ever seen one. Never mind, we'll see what the fix entails, if they ever fix it...

It will probably just be a warning sticker.

Please return your bike to the dealer so that they can replace the following sticker above your gas cap:

[Warning: The 06 FJR may or may not exhibit jerky throttle response

Always wear appropriate gear for riding a motorcycle and use caution

when transitioning the throttle on and off]

Is that better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, your sarcasm meeter needs checked :D
Or your sarcasm generator needs calibration.

First time sarcasm from one to another is best received with an appropriate suppliment of emoticons.....like your last addition.

Glad we're all one happy house now. (not intended to be a sarcastic emoticon :D )

Point Taken :unsure:

If only we could get someone from mamayama on this forum. :glare:
You're still not quite getting it my friend

We want mamayama on the forum after you build concensus there is an issue. Until then you're a lone squeaky wheel. I say again, convince the community first and lose the 'pester Yamaha' attitude. It's just vinegar and you really want sugar.

Trust me, sugar will get your farther with the many people that do monitor the forum.
Ignatio - I have to take issue with you. There have been a number of threads on this forum that indicate that the '06s do have problems that most '06 owners on this forum do complain about. Yes, there are many owners (myself included) who still think it's a great overall motorcycle, but I'm the first to say that the throttle response, throttle control, and lean surge issues are all very real. There is no question that of the ten motocycles I've owned, this is by far the worst in those regards.

Point Taken :unsure:

If only we could get someone from mamayama on this forum. :glare:
You're still not quite getting it my friend

We want mamayama on the forum after you build concensus there is an issue. Until then you're a lone squeaky wheel. I say again, convince the community first and lose the 'pester Yamaha' attitude. It's just vinegar and you really want sugar.

Trust me, sugar will get your farther with the many people that do monitor the forum.
Ignatio - I have to take issue with you. There have been a number of threads on this forum that indicate that the '06s do have problems that most '06 owners on this forum do complain about. Yes, there are many owners (myself included) who still think it's a great overall motorcycle, but I'm the first to say that the throttle response, throttle control, and lean surge issues are all very real. There is no question that of the ten motocycles I've owned, this is by far the worst in those regards.
Yeah...

Build a consensus, now that's funny right there, or maybe that was sarcasm that I didn't get :rolleyes:

[sarcasm and Bullshit OFF]

Here's my take FWIW:

They only consensus possible here is when Dale or a few select members decide that there is a consensus, or declare one. Only then can a problem be a problem. The rest of us are clearly numb nut noobs, and until a few SELECT folks have actually done something, then and only then is the problem legit.

There is no doubt that Dale/Warchild was instrumental in diagnosing the 'Tickers' and potentially getting them fixed.

But to the best of my knowledge no one on this forum has a bat phone to the Yamaha FJR design team and can really make things happen. If they did, us 06'ers wouldn't have to dick around with the most stupid of dash cluster recalls with our mileage being reset to zero.

Clearly our FJR consumer advocate would have placed a call and taken care of that for us after all it's not that hard to take care of.

While there are certainly people's opinions here who I do value, and Dale's is certainly one of them. The old timers (for lack of a better term, and I mean that in a positive way) are not the only valuable opinions.

We shouldn't have to wait for Dale to borrow some one's FJR to validate that there is in fact an issue, be it mapping, or just the way they dorked up the throttle linkage. I think others have already worked this out.

That's so.....so......September 2nd. I am seeing more concensus being built that there is an issue....independent of Warchild's addition. And I'm even seeing some talk about pinpointing the issue instead of bitching about it.

My issue was and remains with people that think that some of these issues are patently obvious, that Yamaha should have Jedi mind reading skills, or we should storm the gates of Cypress and start mounting heads on pikes.

I'm being convinced as time goes. If I had an '06 I'd be helping pinpoint the issue myself. I'd still like to help though because the FJR is such a great bike.

The old timers (for lack of a better term, and I mean that in a positive way) are not the only valuable opinions.
I absolutely agree. There are some newbs with great insight, knowledge, and mad skillz. I think they're quickly building street cred. because they are willing to attack the issues and problems and work on ideas to make things better.

Damn people, chill the frig out.

Anyway, seriously: don't even joke about legal action. First of all, you have no case. What did Yamaha do that was negligent? Do many people have documented records of injury related to a design flaw? Prolly not (maybe not yet).

Anyway, there are no medals reserved here. Come up with a solution that others can mimic, and you are a hero. Putting verbal diarhea down gets us nowhere anyway.

-BD

Yeah...
Build a consensus, now that's funny right there, or maybe that was sarcasm that I didn't get :rolleyes:

Here's my take FWIW:

They only consensus possible here is when Dale or a few select members decide that there is a consensus, or declare one. Only then can a problem be a problem. The rest of us are clearly numb nut noobs, and until a few SELECT folks have actually done something, then and only then is the problem legit.

There is no doubt that Dale/Warchild was instrumental in diagnosing the 'Tickers' and potentially getting them fixed.

But to the best of my knowledge no one on this forum has a bat phone to the Yamaha FJR design team and can really make things happen. If they did, us 06'ers wouldn't have to dick around with the most stupid of dash cluster recalls with our mileage being reset to zero.

Clearly our FJR consumer advocate would have placed a call and taken care of that for us after all it's not that hard to take care of.

While there are certainly people's opinions here who I do value, and Dale's is certainly one of them. The old timers (for lack of a better term, and I mean that in a positive way) are not the only valuable opinions.

We shouldn't have to wait for Dale to borrow some one's FJR to validate that there is in fact an issue, be it mapping, or just the way they dorked up the throttle linkage. I think others have already worked this out.
I'll submit that the alleged problems, ahem, are still that of perception. To date, the only proven defect has been the exhaust valve 'tick' and Yamaha is dealing with that issue (granted, they have not ponied up and admitted it, but they are dealing with it, fixing units even outta warranty). Regarding the '06 odo issue? BFD. So what, your average MPG is stuck at 17. Let me get my hanky out; snort -oh-boo-hoo. Everything else is bullshit. Sidestands, throttle hiccups, Howie wobble, yada yada...

My bike is an '05, all are of which are supposed to be able to burn asbestos clad riders at 100 feet. Bullshit. Mine is fine regardless of ambient temp. You want heat? Jump on a Gold Wing or Harley in traffic; that's heat my friends (of course, that's my perception). Too, peeps be bitchin' 'bout the throttle on Gen I FJR's - again, bullshit. Oooh, you gotta have a PCIII and Wally's map... Bullshit (sorry guys, but that's JMO. No offence, k?). Try this: Grab a lower gear - problem solved. Or, work on your throttle technique. Very, very few EFI units are glitch-free. IMO, the positives of these systems far outweigh the perceived downsides.

You gotta keep in mind that these machines are designed for 'the masses' and not the individual. As such, you'll never be able to please everyone. As for Yamaha listening to this little forum of owners... ch'yah, right! Like they listened to me about my perceived crappiness of the stock seat. They sell every FJR they make - almost ahead of time - and you think they're worried? Ummm, dun thin so, Lucy.

All this wanking is getting rather tiresome. I'm not sayin', 'don't personalize your bike', but god almighty - enough already! Witness this: To date, I cannot recall, EVER, an FJR leaving it's owner stranded do to a mechanical failure (flat tires, bent rims and dead batteries don't count). That, my unhappy FJR owners, is saying something that not many makes can boast.

;)

Ok,

this bike really needs a new FI map to cover the lower end and get rid of the jerky low rpm resonpse. I know about the Fred shim, but frankly, it's just wrong. The BMW K1200S had this problem and BMW stepped up to the plate and fixed it. The question is will Yamaha? How hard can it be for them to reprogram the ECU with the correct FI map?

Giddy'p :clapping:
i'm wondering what all the R-bike riders have to say about BMW "stepping to the plate" on FI mapping or owners of the entire product line say about it wrt final drive failures. :rolleyes:
Have a feeling there may be a similar situation developing with the AE. I am amazed the rear end can take wracking it gets from the "switch" throttle - trailing to on is pretty noisy at low speeds

A simple theory on the stiffness of the throttle on 06s. On releasing the throttle it is important that there be a very definite return to the throttle stop so that the engine on the AE will reduce revs to the point the clutch can disengage. This throttle design was standardised and used on both models.

Regarding rate of twist, the throttle cam is a cheap way to make the bike feel more responsive and powerful by feeding in initial twist at a higher rate. Absolutely not necessary with any FJR, a mistake on Yamaha's part.

However on my ex Speed Triple a bike with a very quick but light short twist type throttle the bike was transformed by a remap that accompanied the off road cans. Much smoother but not EPA friendly.

In retrospect

The cam design can be changed and that helps. DIY by Fred's mod. Should be easy for madam Yam to fix. Just make the 05 cam a retrofit.

The throttle spring can be release 1 turn. DIY. Unlikely fix from Yam because they want to make absolutely sure the throttle shuts under all circumstances with the AE.

Remap. DIY Power Commander? Highly unlikely from Yamaha because of EPA.

Don't really understand the jumper mod CO situation but if it richens the mix a little it may help with response and heat.

Grip puppies and throttle rocker! Cheep and effective. Throttlemeister expensive but great on long trips!

Yeah...

<snip>
Regarding the '06 odo issue? BFD. So what, your average MPG is stuck at 17. Let me get my hanky out; snort -oh-boo-hoo. Everything else is bullshit. Sidestands, throttle hiccups, Howie wobble, yada yada...
With regard to the '06 ODO issues is that boohoo because:

a: Yamamamma had to fix it because that was such a glowing problem and they are doing it half assed?

b: Who gives a shit boo hoo?

c: boohoo because you wouldn't care if your bike didn't have this problem. (personally I don't care right now over getting it fixed half assed).

-or- lastly

d: boohoo, you really wouldn't care if you were trying to sell your bike only to discover that all of a sudden the bmv now reports that your odo isn't accurate and buyers may no longer trust what you're saying about mileage? :blink:

My bike is an '05...
So when it comes to '06 problems... Your vote doesn't count :)

Yeah...

Here's my take FWIW:

I'll submit that the alleged problems, ahem, are still that of perception. To date, the only proven defect has been the exhaust valve 'tick' and Yamaha is dealing with that issue (granted, they have not ponied up and admitted it, but they are dealing with it, fixing units even outta warranty). Regarding the '06 odo issue? BFD. So what, your average MPG is stuck at 17. Let me get my hanky out; snort -oh-boo-hoo. Everything else is bullshit. Sidestands, throttle hiccups, Howie wobble, yada yada...

My bike is an '05, all are of which are supposed to be able to burn asbestos clad riders at 100 feet. Bullshit. Mine is fine regardless of ambient temp. You want heat? Jump on a Gold Wing or Harley in traffic; that's heat my friends (of course, that's my perception). Too, peeps be bitchin' 'bout the throttle on Gen I FJR's - again, bullshit. Oooh, you gotta have a PCIII and Wally's map... Bullshit (sorry guys, but that's JMO. No offence, k?). Try this: Grab a lower gear - problem solved. Or, work on your throttle technique. Very, very few EFI units are glitch-free. IMO, the positives of these systems far outweigh the perceived downsides.

You gotta keep in mind that these machines are designed for 'the masses' and not the individual. As such, you'll never be able to please everyone. As for Yamaha listening to this little forum of owners... ch'yah, right! Like they listened to me about my perceived crappiness of the stock seat. They sell every FJR they make - almost ahead of time - and you think they're worried? Ummm, dun thin so, Lucy.

All this wanking is getting rather tiresome. I'm not sayin', 'don't personalize your bike', but god almighty - enough already! Witness this: To date, I cannot recall, EVER, an FJR leaving it's owner stranded do to a mechanical failure (flat tires, bent rims and dead batteries don't count). That, my unhappy FJR owners, is saying something that not many makes can boast.

;)
Dam TWN that is the longest post I have seen from you for a while!

Must say that there are different grades of pissed offness. ;)

This thread represents both max and min.

It is a forum and the bike like all others is not perfect, people vent on forums!

I think it makes a difference and all levels of joy or pissed offness should be tolerated.

there is always a village idiot out there and occasionally a gem will come form that individual too!

I really like this forum and the vast majority of the people who contribute are really cool. :D

d: boohoo, you really wouldn't care if you were trying to sell your bike only to discover that all of a sudden the bmv now reports that your odo isn't accurate and buyers may no longer trust what you're saying about mileage?
Tempest in a tea cup. The fix is documented as a Yamaha voluntary recall. You have the work documented in the service folder that you maintain (receipt, mileage, date). This is a non-starter.

You do maintain a service folder. Right?

Stepping into the flaming pit, trying to avoid a dog pile like the one that seems to have knocked out Fred...

When Yamaha was dabbling with fuel injection ~2002 they knew that there were some issues with throttle abruptness. The 2002 R1 injection rack retained vacuum slides to smooth throttle response (refer to Yamaha Parts for a view). The FI abruptness was discussed by many motorcycle magazines like this.

As my '04 FJR sits today, it surges to a point that my headlights noticeably bounce up and down on the back of the car in front of me. Not only can you feel it strongly, it is enough to bounce the chassis. It also has abrupt throttle. Any non believer can ride my bike. Even passengers notice.

For all of Gen I production, the FI system was essentially unchanged. We don't have insight to software revisions in the ECU so we don't know if it remained consistent but it seems so. I would say that it is a fact that there are operating differences between FJRs. I have ridden other FJRs and they do not all have the same throttle response. Since day one my FJR has surged and had abrupt throttle response. As Bob's FJR doesn't surge and mine does, mine must be broken, so fix it. The dealer had plenty of time to try, no change at all. PCIII went in and it got much better, but was still there. I probably would have dumped my FJR if it remained the way it was stock.

I have swapped, tested, monitored, changed, disabled and modified just about every part of the entire electro/mechanical FI system and the surge remains. Only things not changed are the ECU, fuel pump and injectors. In theory, my ECU should be exactly like Bob's so that shouldn't be part of the equation. There are two things that have made a difference in the surging. One was when I changed my TPS the surging got worse again, I'm looking into that now. The other was when diagnosing my FI system I cobbled in a vacuum tee and a lot of vacuum line to monitor intake vacuum at the fuel pressure regulator while riding. From the vacuum gauge it was obvious that the surge led and the vacuum disturbance followed the surging. But, the vacuum buffering at the FPR as the result of all the extra tubing and vacuum gauge did take some of the sting out of the abruptness and surging.

The major parts of diagnosing the surging are to determine if the ECU is getting incorrect or inexact data; if all the parts of the FI and ignition circuits respond as directed by the ECU. If the controls and actuators are working. If all of the above is 'nominal' then the ECU is making bad decisions -- software. [opinion]Yamaha did not install a data port like OBDII. Bad. Very bad. If they had, a dealer would be able to see that was going on. Big mistake.[/opinion]

In lower gears, when making small throttle transitions my FI feels like it goes into the decel mode too deeply then makes up for it by applying accel to strongly. When entering corners this causes the RPMs to drop too low, too fast then recover too strong. I subconsciously compensate these days but if I pay attention to it and observe, it is quite noticeable. I strongly feel that the issue with my bike is that the software is not applying the decel and accel modes correctly for my particular motor/drive train. I would bet that a very minor software tweak to reduce a accel/decel sensitivity factor would smooth out my bike. In the FSM, under Features, read the Acceleration Enrichment and the Deceleration Fuel Cut-off.

Now to the '06. Seems the ECU control is about the same as the Gen I bikes. Add to the mix the new and improved throttle pulley and there you have it. The pulley seems to inadvertently aggravate the existing software issues (piss poor thinking/design?) . The Gen II, like Gen I has good 'ens and bad 'ens. Add in peoples various levels of sensitivity and we have the current mix of NO PROBLEM AT ALL, IT'S ALL YOU, and the ones that say, 'but it really *does* have issues'. I'm pretty sure that if a NO PROBLEM were to ride my bike they would notice the abruptness. If they say, "fix it" show me how. Wana trade bikes for keeps?

Let's see what WC thinks after riding samples of FINE and ABRUPT. WC, the Benevolent Dictator and now add to that the Grand Inquisitioner. Thanks!

Outstanding post, Alan!

Let me offer a few observations I have gleaned from talking to some of the folks in the Technical Division at Cypress, from direct observation, and from first hand road experience on dozens and dozens FJRs I have assembled since 2002. Though I know what you mean about stepping into the flame pit, as there will be many folks who will disagree with the following, but that's okay.

There were indeed software changes to the ECU after 2003 (in fact, I am told there were changes every year, but the biggest change occured between the '03 and '04 model years).

While I don't have dyno numbers, etc, there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the 2003 bikes are much "snappier" off the line, and noticably quicker during 40mph-60mph roll-ons than the '04 and '05 bikes. This has proven true when I was on my original '04 FJR1300ABS, and also with EVERY SINGLE '04 amd '05 bike I have ridden over the years (which is on the order of 20-30 bikes) when compared against the '03's.

The software maps for the '06 bikes are different still, but this is primarily because the FI system has had numerous changes from earlier FJRs.

I would say that it is a fact that there are operating differences between FJRs. I have ridden other FJRs and they do not all have the same throttle response.
Absolutely correct. Even within the same model year. I have generally found that the 2003 bikes tend to have the most surging issues, the '04 bikes slightly less so, and the '05 bikes even less still.

I have swapped, tested, monitored, changed, disabled and modified just about every part of the entire electro/mechanical FI system and the surge remains.
This is discouraging to hear... and it shouldn't be this way (obviously). For the vast number of '03-'05 surging FJRs, a PC-IIIusb combined with the Wally Kilburg Smoothness Map virtually eliminates any hint of surging.

I assume you've already tried the Wally Kilburg map, yes? If not, it's certainly worth a shot. If you've already tried it and it's not doing the job for you, then I concur you have something pretty unusual going on with your particular bike. I suppose as a last-ditch effort, you could go spend the $$$ to have a proper Dyno run and get a custom map done specific for your setup.... that might catch and eliminate whatever factor is still causing your surging. Maybe.

I blended the Wally and Holeshot maps, no surge, great higher rpm power, better mileage than the Wally alone (not as rich), less carbon on the exhaust tips (way less than the Wally alone w/o cats). Essentially the Wally prevails below 3500 rpm, the Holeshot above that number.

When brand new my 05 was down right unrideable by me, someone else may have enjoyed however.

When I took it to the dealer they road it for about 5 minutes and came back and said nothing was wrong.

They chaulked it up to how an inline 4 engine was and left it at that.

My right hand would go literally dead within about 10 minutes.

Going around a corner the throttle was very uncontrollable to the point that a small movement while leaned over could launch me.

I gave up on the dealer route and came here!

I disconnect the throttle return spring, removed at least 1/4inch of slack in the throttle cable that shouldn't have been there on a stock bike, I installed a PCIII and the smoothness map which I don't really think did much and lastly did a TBS.

After all of these the bike was then rideable but not what I personally wanted to spend a lot of time on.

I now have a pure sport bike that people might say would be worse. In my opinion after a TBS on it it is the smoothest bike I have ever own, no sudden unexpected surges, very controlled in the corners and how every FI bike to me should be. I am sure those that ride sport bikes with FI know that FI can be very smooth and the FJR from everything I read was suppose to be the cats meow, it wasn't for me as I bought it.

With the fix that Fred did it seemed to be a big improvement for him and while 03-05 guys may have seen it unnessary the 06 was obviously different. This is one fix that I sat back and read from Fred and was very impressed with his work and time.

I hope that with people like Dale working on it things will work out for everyone but I do know that the bike could be better in the FI department compared to other bikes I have ridden.

And we don't even want to say it is because it is a 1300cc motor. Anyone who has ridden a Hayabusa or especially the new ZX-14 will tell you both of those bikes are extremely smooth. With the butterfly mods they do on some to get low end power it makes it almost dangerous on the street and many do not recommend it for the street and a track only mod.