06 Needs New FI Map

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dam TWN that is the longest post I have seen from you for a while!Must say that there are different grades of pissed offness. ;)

This thread represents both max and min.

It is a forum and the bike like all others is not perfect, people vent on forums!

I think it makes a difference and all levels of joy or pissed offness should be tolerated.

there is always a village idiot out there and occasionally a gem will come form that individual too!

I really like this forum and the vast majority of the people who contribute are really cool. :D
Who's pissed off? Not me. Just trying to make a point that it ain't broke. ;)

- The Minority

Radman, interesting concept you have there, blending the Wally map and the Holeshot map. Would you be willing to share that map? I'd like to try it out if you don't mind.

My configuration is stock air filter, PCIIIusb, Holeshots, running stock header with cats. Would your map be a good fit?

Dam TWN that is the longest post I have seen from you for a while!

Must say that there are different grades of pissed offness. ;)

It is a forum and the bike like all others is not perfect, people vent on forums!

I think it makes a difference and all levels of joy or pissed offness should be tolerated.

there is always a village idiot out there and occasionally a gem will come form that individual too!

I really like this forum and the vast majority of the people who contribute are really cool. :D

- The Minority
Thx for the opinion on your '05.

Let us know when you get an '06 to give it some credibitily.

Been on one. Don't see a problem.

History repeats itself - over and over and over and over and...

Some peeps just never get it. :rolleyes:

Here's my take FWIW:
They only consensus possible here is when Dale or a few select members decide that there is a consensus, or declare one. Only then can a problem be a problem. The rest of us are clearly numb nut noobs, and until a few SELECT folks have actually done something, then and only then is the problem legit.

We shouldn't have to wait for Dale to borrow some one's FJR to validate that there is in fact an issue, be it mapping, or just the way they dorked up the throttle linkage. I think others have already worked this out.
Thank you for saving me the typing, and for doing it in a more tacktful way than I probably could have.

FWIW

I ran across this in a Sport Rider comparo of the FJR, ST1300 and ZZR1200:

"Some common points all three bikes share: Throttle response is atrocious[my emphasis], with a sudden lurch of power from closed throttle; throw in excessive driveline lash (especially on the Honda) and it is almost pointless to try and carry momentum in corners."

This was from the June 2005 issue, and they were talking about the 2005 FJR! I reread the article last night, and remember thinking last year that the changes on the '06 would include improved throttle response. So I'm not sure this is just an '06 issue, but I think it is one that some seem to adjust to and others not.

I think, after reading most of the threads on the issue, including this one, Fred's, etc. etc. I'm confused (I admit it). But I have noticed something I don't remember having read before. My throttle response on my '06A (with just grip puppies and slack out of the cable for mods) is loosening up some after 4500 miles. I went on a 400+ mile ride last week in mostly back, twisty roads (with 100+ miles of slab). The throttle definitely did not hurt my hand after 200-300 miles like it had before. In past rides, if I went 100 miles I put on a throttle boss to get some cramp out of my right hand. This ride I didn't even think about it until the 300 mile mark. I went on another ride of a couple hundred miles and again, the throttle didn't pain me.

Is this just my perception and too small an 'n' or is it possible for the springs, cable or other components to free up over time? I generally run "spiritedly" with bags off on back country roads for 50-200 miles at a time. I haven't lubed anything yet since the 600 mile mark (It's on my list).

And I will put in the disclaimer that I thought everything was just fine with this bike when I first posted on this issue a couple months back. But I hadn't done enough miles on the bike, and should have reserved judgment until I got used to the bike. And maybe it is still too early. The throttle response (and stock seat) aren't for me a deal breaker, because the rest of the bike is a better package than I ever imagined.

my throttle response 06A is jerky also. I've not done the throttle mods or barbarian.......this is something Yamaha should help with at the dealer level .....the bike's surging at low speed in low gears can create a dangerous situation.It's also uncomfortable. Yamaha...helllllllllp!!!!!

Ok,

So i plunked down some money for the pciii. Seeing as how I'm a cheap bastard...er...frugal, i'm going to try and install it msyelf with the default pciii map for the FJR1300A until one of you rich gents comes up with a new and improved Wally smoothness map for the '06. I'll let everyone know how it works.

According to the instructions on the web site, it does not require disconnecting the o2 sensor. Por que?

Ok,So i plunked down some money for the pciii. Seeing as how I'm a cheap bastard...er...frugal, i'm going to try and install it msyelf with the default pciii map for the FJR1300A until one of you rich gents comes up with a new and improved Wally smoothness map for the '06. I'll let everyone know how it works.

According to the instructions on the web site, it does not require disconnecting the o2 sensor. Por que?
Because the EPA may be watching and they can't tell you to disable smog related controls... but disconnect the O2, other wise it defeats the PC.

I ride an 06 FJR-A #...000654. Never had any surging. I thought the throttle was a little stiff, so I eventually slipped the spring on the middle throttle body. That got rid of the stiff throttle. I have dumped the bike 3 times now, one time it rolled forward on the kickstand on a slight downgrade (now I park it in 1st gear), one time I was pushing it out of my garage while in a hurry, last time while making a tight right-hand turn into my garage after coming off a trailer at 11:30 p.m. All 3 times were my fault. The only times I killed my motor occurred during the first two weeks I owned the bike, before I got comfortable with the throttle-clutch coordination on the bike. I came from a 1982 GoldWing with a lot looser clutch.

I'm a newbie on this forum and with this bike. Only 2,500 miles on mine. The best advice I heard on this forum is to get a few thousand miles on the bike before you decide there's something wrong with your bike or start changing everything. It is still the best advice. I see a lot of traffic on this forum about modifications to low-mileage 06 FJRs, or worrying about stuff. I don't want to give offense, but the ratio of bitching to constructive advice on this forum is high and getting higher. And the name-calling and insults are pointless and unpleasant, to say the least. It's like watching a couple of middle-schoolers in a "so's your mama" contest.

If you think you have a problem with your bike, be patient and ride it a few thousand miles first. If you feel compelled to post something, search the forum first to see if someone else has covered the same ground. If you still want to post, have something constructive to say and don't make it personal.

OK, class is dismissed.

Dam TWN that is the longest post I have seen from you for a while!

Must say that there are different grades of pissed offness. ;)

- The Minority
Thx for the opinion on your '05.

Let us know when you get an '06 to give it some credibitily.

I ride an 06 FJR-A #...000654. Never had any surging. I thought the throttle was a little stiff, so I eventually slipped the spring on the middle throttle body. That got rid of the stiff throttle. I have dumped the bike 3 times now, one time it rolled forward on the kickstand on a slight downgrade (now I park it in 1st gear), one time I was pushing it out of my garage while in a hurry, last time while making a tight right-hand turn into my garage after coming off a trailer at 11:30 p.m. All 3 times were my fault. The only times I killed my motor occurred during the first two weeks I owned the bike, before I got comfortable with the throttle-clutch coordination on the bike. I came from a 1982 GoldWing with a lot looser clutch.
I'm a newbie on this forum and with this bike. Only 2,500 miles on mine. The best advice I heard on this forum is to get a few thousand miles on the bike before you decide there's something wrong with your bike or start changing everything. It is still the best advice. I see a lot of traffic on this forum about modifications to low-mileage 06 FJRs, or worrying about stuff. I don't want to give offense, but the ratio of bitching to constructive advice on this forum is high and getting higher. And the name-calling and insults are pointless and unpleasant, to say the least. It's like watching a couple of middle-schoolers in a "so's your mama" contest.

If you think you have a problem with your bike, be patient and ride it a few thousand miles first. If you feel compelled to post something, search the forum first to see if someone else has covered the same ground. If you still want to post, have something constructive to say and don't make it personal.

OK, class is dismissed.
A most excellent post!

Good advice from the professor.

Doesn't matter... WarChild has finally, officially declared it broken, now that he has spent some time with an 06, so it is. :D

In all fairness though I hear what you're saying. I don't or didn't find my 06 to be that broken either.

All I have done to date was a TB sync (which it needed at the initial first maintenance) and it probably needs another.

I have adjusted some slack in the throttle cable, and yes it has stretched since new.

I did do the Barbarian Mod, and woah, what a difference that made in my bike...

But I didn't _hate_ it before.

Caveat emptor, YMMV, no refunds or exchanges, void where prohibited, see store for details.

All I have done to date was a TB sync (which it needed at the initial first maintenance) and it probably needs another.
Of all mods I made, TBS was the one it make the real difference.

I ordered it at 1 service, but dealer ignored it, on th 10k km service I explicitly insisted on doing it and after that my FJR just became more funn to ride.

OK, class is dismissed.

Or be patronizing :D :p

Ok,this bike really needs a new FI map to cover the lower end and get rid of the jerky low rpm resonpse. I know about the Fred shim, but frankly, it's just wrong. The BMW K1200S had this problem and BMW stepped up to the plate and fixed it. The question is will Yamaha? How hard can it be for them to reprogram the ECU with the correct FI map?

Giddy'p :clapping:
Cries for more evidence? Need more people to complain? Man they sure jumped on you, didn't they!

Okay...I'm here to say I have an '06 FJR and I find the low RPM 'carburetion' to suck as well. Fluffy and lean. A real bitch in towns at 35mph and below. And those 20mph school zones are a joy as well. The bike misses, hunts, surges, backfires slightly...but people on this forum have the gall to tell you to "suck it up" and "prove there is a problem". Nice. Very helpful.

Well, go ahead and consider me yet ANOTHER data point (i.e. person complaining about the fueling of the 2006 FJR).

Pat in Monument, CO ('06 FJR, "the cobalt cougar")

You will never be able to fix the throttle response problems on the 06 by trying to play tricks with the fuel map. The root cause of the problem is the non-linear action of the throttle assy due to the newly modified progressive pulley put on the 06 model.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the existing map in the bike that needs fixing, and trying to fix the jerky throttle by changing the map is just plain wrong, as that is not the cause of the problem, and I can prove it (and have on several bikes).

While a Power Commander may be of some value in being able to tweak the map to make the bike run the way you want it to, it is not going to fix the jerky throttle on the 06 all by itself. If you want to fix the problem, you need to go to the source that causes it.

Last edited by a moderator: