06 Needs New FI Map

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't complain about a surge/lean condition on my 06 but I have yet to hear a road report of the item found here g2ergo fix mentioned in some previous posts. This is another way to address the throttle cam/pully problem Fred has addressed without the insertion of a wire or rubber ring into the mix. Has anyone installed this on their bike and if so, has it helped the throttle problem? This fix if it works along with the other mods could be the cats meow. PM. <>< :blink:

Other than this guy off g2ergo's site;

Well, your throttle cam system works wonderfully, just like you promised. I installed it today on my 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300 and went for a 70 mile ride. I noticed a difference as soon as I tuned the corner at the end of my street! I rode some of our East Tennessee mountain roads with corners that always gave me fits. But no more troubles with your throttle cam system. Wow, finally smooth, consistent throttle control!! Your TCS system is exactly what my FJR needed."

- Richard Corn, Maryville, TN

My first FJR and bike period with this much HP, torque, etc. is an 06'er. I rode the bike home about 200 miles from the dealer. I noticed right off the throttle issue but I just figured it was me and something I needed to get used to and make adjustments with the wrist. After about 500 miles, I was worried because I was not getting better on my acceleration, etc. and was starting to doubt my abilities and whether I made a good choice in a new bike.

Now that I'm at 9000 miles, I am very happy that I selected the FJR. I love this bike and my throttle control has adjusted well to the bikes issues. I'm not 100 percent satisfied and I imagine next spring when I'm able to ride again, I will be reaquainting myself to the same problem.

I've not done any mod.'s discussed on the forum, but am considering it. I'm wondering if someone that knows where all the information is would help by listing the suggested improvements with links to where the information is on doing the mods. I know, I could search for them myself, but I'm lazy when it comes to that and am still trying to figure out the search feature here. :unsure:

They have already been listed, but is this all of them and can someone point us to the different mod information?

- doing the shim

- adjusting the cables

- loosening the spring one turn

- Barbarian jumper mod

- PCIII

Thanks!

My first FJR and bike period with this much HP, torque, etc. is an 06'er. I rode the bike home about 200 miles from the dealer. I noticed right off the throttle issue but I just figured it was me and something I needed to get used to and make adjustments with the wrist. After about 500 miles, I was worried because I was not getting better on my acceleration, etc. and was starting to doubt my abilities and whether I made a good choice in a new bike.
Now that I'm at 9000 miles, I am very happy that I selected the FJR. I love this bike and my throttle control has adjusted well to the bikes issues. I'm not 100 percent satisfied and I imagine next spring when I'm able to ride again, I will be reaquainting myself to the same problem.

I've not done any mod.'s discussed on the forum, but am considering it. I'm wondering if someone that knows where all the information is would help by listing the suggested improvements with links to where the information is on doing the mods. I know, I could search for them myself, but I'm lazy when it comes to that and am still trying to figure out the search feature here. :unsure:

They have already been listed, but is this all of them and can someone point us to the different mod information?

- doing the shim

- adjusting the cables

- Barbarian jumper mod

- PCIII

Thanks!
Just stick with the pciii a tried and true solution. www.fjrtech.com click on farkles. Courtosey of warchild :)

My two bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just stick with the pciii a tried and true solution. www.fjrtech.com click on farkles. Courtosey of warchild :)

My two bit.

As mentioned by some others in this thread, there very possibly exists two distinct problems here with the 06 model. One being the lean/surge problem at low rpm issue, and two, the throttle cam/pully issue. One, by incorperating the PCIII, or the Barbarian jumper mod would help cure any lean/surging problems associated with the mapping issues. Second, adjusting out the slack in the throttle cables, loosening the spring one turn on the throttle bodies, doing Fred's shim mod with the wire or O-ring, or doing the g2ergo fix on the throttle sleeve on the handlebar, and adding Grip Puppies to address the low speed abrupt throttle cam/pully issue. And as a side to increase the idle speed to 1000+ rpm's to help eliminate any stall or stutters. By playing around with these mods one can find what works for them, all working together in concert to help eliminate both problems together making for a ride without surging, stalling, stuttering or too abrupt throttle action. As mentioned, there are many individual views, (including no problem at all by some), and alternatives to make your ride satisfactory to you. Whatever works is worth a shot to make for a smoother ride, however I don't see the PCIII as the sole answer to these "problems". Merry Christimas.....PM. <>< :D

How hard can it be for them to reprogram the ECU with the correct FI map?

Giddy'p :clapping:
Hi Dave noticed the GPR Derbi, I had an 01 model with 70cc kit and Arrow exhaust, what fun!!!! As much fun as any bike I've had, now why did I get rid of it?

If in fact, it actually needs a different fuel map it's still ALOT tougher than you think. There's this evil little band of people called the EPA. Even if Yamama WANTS to change the fuel map on all the '06s, they're not allowed to, unles the evil EPA nasties say it's ok. An across the board mapping change like that requires EPA certification, and then the bike must be stickered to indicate the new new mapping and compliance certification. So if you and maybe a handful of others are the only one's complaining, don't hold your breath waiting on Yamama to reflash all your ECUs. Major ECU programming changes only occur to solve major problems. Better start building your case now. Otherwise, buy a PCIII USB and get somebody to do you a custom map.

Which brings me back to my orginal question! "The question is will Yamaha? How hard can it be for them to reprogram the ECU with the correct FI map?"
and back to the original answer. don't expect there to be one.

the map's the way it is because that's what yamaha had to do to meet epa requirements. change the map, start at square one to get approval to import again. owners in other countries often report their mapping is fine. they don't have those pesky epa requirements. users can install pc3's because they don't have to deal with epa to import their bikes.

emissions testings on existing/streeted bikes follow a different path. i think part of it may be because fewer people lobby against epa in the name of the mfgr/importer while there are more voters who own mom&pop shops that would get crushed by the cost of the more costly test equipment needed for testing "streeted" bikes in all the ways to which importers are forced. (this last is just an assumption)

I may understand it, but I still don't like it. I consider the low rpm throttle response on the '06 border line unacceptable without a pciii (at least for the California model). I'm sure that meeting the EPA requirements is very complicated and all, but if the BMW k1200s can put out 167hp without a lean surge then so can Yammie.

To be fair, it did take BMW one or two tries before they got it right, but they did it. I'm sure bmw had to go through the EPA gauntlet as well. If Yammie won't step up to the plate, then I guess you do get something for the extra 4k you have to shell out for the bmw? ;)

I've yet to notice any low RPM throttle response problems. Compared to my FZ6 the throttle on my FJR is a dream.

These type of threads amaze me. Sometimes I think this forum is full of old farts that have nothing better to do than bitch and moan about shit. If it's not the throttle response, it's the seat, wind shield, handle bar position, etc.

Compared to any other bikes I've ridden, the FJR is the finest motorcycle I've been on yet. I have yet to find anything about it unacceptable.

- doing the shim- adjusting the cables

- Barbarian jumper mod

- PCIII

Thanks!
It's not a mod but regular service thing, Yamaha does porely at the factory:

TBS (Throtle Body Sync)

I've yet to notice any low RPM throttle response problems. Compared to my FZ6 the throttle on my FJR is a dream.
These type of threads amaze me. Sometimes I think this forum is full of old farts that have nothing better to do than bitch and moan about shit. If it's not the throttle response, it's the seat, wind shield, handle bar position, etc.

Compared to any other bikes I've ridden, the FJR is the finest motorcycle I've been on yet. I have yet to find anything about it unacceptable.
Describes me to a tee !

The 06 is abrupt off throttle. Easy 2-step fix.

1. Barbarian jumper mod.

2. G2 Ergo throttle tube and cam. Seriously. This is the fix. Look at the blue cam, see how flat and linear the initial pull is? This thing just works, and it's cheap at about 65 bucks. Be sure to get the #400 cam for the FJR. Satisfaction guranteed! :p

tcsbaseimage01.jpg

This thread was an interesting read. As some of you may have read here, I have had chornbe's 06 for the better part of three weeks (~800 miles) and also have ridden a bone stock '06 belonging to another friend. chornbe's bike has had the spring mod, grip puppies and he's moved the bars a bit wider than the factory stop would allow.

I have trouble getting a smooth 1->2 shift on chornbe's but not on the stock '06. And I have yet to master downshifting by blipping the throttle (on chornbe's). I will attribute that more to the clutch lever and shifter action than the throttle. Sure, the stock bike I rode had a stiff throttle but I was much smoother on it. Neither bike surges at low speeds nor have I had any difficulties (like killing the engine) while trying to start out slowly. Nor are the throttles as smooth through the power range as a properly jetted carbureted bike but they are not difficult to modulate. Bottom line, I've had some adjusting to do to tailor my riding style to the bikes.

For me, it's the best fit for a commuter/touring bike so I'll be ordering one today (hopefully an '06 for a smokin' price). Mine will remain stock for at least a thousand miles (aside from adjusting throttle cable freeplay and the shifter).

While I don my flame suit, here's some history: My last bike was an Ivan's jetted FZ1 and I put 30K on it. I've also put 12K (so far) on my '05 CBR600RR and have had considerable seat time on an '00 VFR800i. Past bikes were a 500 Magna and a XJ750R Seca.

Yes, yes, we know. Marketing people love you....and thanks for hanging out with us old farts sonny. ;)

Ali

P.S. And don't even get me started on the throttle cable that busted itself as i was trying to do a simple adjustment.

Yes, yes, we know. Marketing people love you....and thanks for hanging out with us old farts sonny. ;)
Ali

P.S. And don't even get me started on the throttle cable that busted itself as i was trying to do a simple adjustment.
It sounds as if your ability to do maintenance rivals you ability to control the throttle. :p

Maybe you should ride a scooter and let the dealer do the maintenance. ;)

Where else can an old fart go to bitch? I Googled "old farts bitching forum", got zilch. Would appear they are spread amongst the intranet sites, a few here, a few there, I mean, why keep good old fart bitching in one place and deny folks the world over the pleasure of our bitchiness? Savor the perfection, learn and emulate, your day cometh.......... :p

Where else can an old fart go to bitch? I Googled "old farts bitching forum", got zilch. Would appear they are spread amongst the intranet sites, a few here, a few there, I mean, why keep good old fart bitching in one place and deny folks the world over the pleasure of our bitchiness? Savor the perfection, learn and emulate, your day cometh.......... :p
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I wonder what the demographics look like for FJR buyers/owners? Old Farts is a relative term, but I wonder how many of us qualify? How old do you have to be...or is it feel, to officially be an old fart in the world of motorcycling? 40? 50? At 50 you are eligible to join AARP...so I hear. Doesn't that make it official?

:nhl_checking:

I may understand it, but I still don't like it. I consider the low rpm throttle response on the '06 border line unacceptable without a pciii (at least for the California model). I'm sure that meeting the EPA requirements is very complicated and all, but if the BMW k1200s can put out 167hp without a lean surge then so can Yammie.
To be fair, it did take BMW one or two tries before they got it right, but they did it. I'm sure bmw had to go through the EPA gauntlet as well. If Yammie won't step up to the plate, then I guess you do get something for the extra 4k you have to shell out for the bmw? ;)
I think BMW went to 2 spark plugs per cylinder recently. They could run it richer and still get a clean burn. From what I read , the surge was gone after the change

Yes same here. Did try to contact Europe Yamaha but no reply.

Low rpm throttle response on my '06 are bad, bad... :wub:

Hawk1