06 versus 05 Heat, new features, etc

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRHall

Reaction score
I am sure there is info on this subject posted already, but I am having trouble finding it! I am new and it will take awhile for me to be able to work the search feature right.

I will probably make a desicion on an FJR this weekend. I am considering a new 06, a used 06, or a used 05 with ABS.

Prices will be somewhat of a factor, but not exclusively. What I am more concerned about are whether the upgades for 06 are a significant improvement over the 05. I have read some "fixes" or at least mods for the "excessive" heat issue on 03-05's. At least from what I read it is excessive, haven't verified it for myself yet. I live in a hot, humid, sunny climate, so heat will be a factor.

I don't mind modifing a bike if it helps, but wondering if the factory has made a real improvement in this and other areas.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated!

I am sure there is info on this subject posted already, but I am having trouble finding it! I am new and it will take awhile for me to be able to work the search feature right.I will probably make a desicion on an FJR this weekend. I am considering a new 06, a used 06, or a used 05 with ABS.

Prices will be somewhat of a factor, but not exclusively. What I am more concerned about are whether the upgades for 06 are a significant improvement over the 05. I have read some "fixes" or at least mods for the "excessive" heat issue on 03-05's. At least from what I read it is excessive, haven't verified it for myself yet. I live in a hot, humid, sunny climate, so heat will be a factor.

I don't mind modifing a bike if it helps, but wondering if the factory has made a real improvement in this and other areas.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated!

I have just got back from the first ride on my new 06. I did about 250 kilometres. I live in the tropics - the ambient temp was about 30-35 deg C, with about 80% humidity - a good test.

There is a very, very slight amount of heat felt at your boots when stopped, or in low speed traffic.

This diminishes over about 60 km/hr. At 100 km/hr the airflow around your boots is actually cool - there is no heat at all.

The mods have worked - I remember riding an 04 - it was awful for heat....

Rgds

If heat is that big of a factor then just get the 06. Save yourself the trouble of doing heat mods.

If you need to save some cash you can get an 04 or 05 abs and do heat mods. They are not that difficult, but can be time consuming, and you need some machines to do the Cromeit left side heat fix. The right side is just some foam. 04-05 has a shorter wheel base (not by much) is a little lighter, and the pegs are a little higher.

I don't think the heat is that bad, but I haven't ridden in temperatures over 75 degrees F yet.

.........but wondering if the factory has made a real improvement in this and other areas. Any help you can give me would be appreciated!
Yes! Totally different air management on the '06 fairing. I've had an '04 and now have an '05. Neither of mine have been a "hot" bike, though the frame gets warm to the touch.

The vents and fairing design on the '06 is reported to make "that much difference". If the price is even close (or not an issue), get the '06.

Get the 06- it is a lovely bike

fjr1zg2.jpg

Thanks for the responses, folks!

I am going after the 06. Looking at a used A model today, with the Yamaha trunk.

I have considered the FJR for about a year and a half now.

I bought a Honda Cbr1100XX in mid 2005. Always wanted one (must be some kind of latent fighter pilot thing :) ) It turned out to be a great bike, did all I wanted it to, but not quite stellar for my wife on the back or in the track like stuff.

Then I thought I would get the Valkyrie (must be some kind of latent cowboy thing :) ) It turned out to be a great bike, too. My wife is comfortable on the back, it has a cool factor (at least for an old cowboy), is fast for a cruiser, and handles surprisingly well for it's size. Did I mention that in that respect it is more comprable to ocean going vessels, or things that usualy run on tracks? I bought the 929 to fulfill the riding with my son and the sportbike crew, and the occasional trackday.

I am finding the two bike thing is not really working out for me now. I could use some funds for real estate projects, etc. And it seems like I end up riding the Valk 2 up more than anything else. So, I am hoping to replace the valk and 929 with the FJR and have motorcycle perfection (I need a track bike at some point, though)

I will probably help my sister sell the Blackbird rather than take it back, even though I AM tempted.

Just got a new 06 a week ago... having sold my Boss Hoss and my 97 Valk Tourer ( with 80+K miles on it), I dont regret getting this bike at all... was kind of sad selling the valk tho...had that one dialed in perfect......tried to get jazzed having the Boss Hoss, kool factor 100... but not really a riding kinda bike, just a kool factor bike.... no other bikes out there that really had me interested...till this one... I will tell ya, if you get the FJR, the other bikes will spend more time parked than ridden.... my .02...

Mosa

Valk was the best bike I've ever owned. I loved the bike and sold it to get the Wing. Big mistake. Now I've got a Wing and the FJR and will be selling the Wing next Spring. Next stop Valk to keep the FJR company.

Get the 06- it is a lovely bike

fjr1zg2.jpg
+1 on "loving that color". Especially those of us who live in "dusty" environs. Too bad they don't bring that color to our shores. Of course I thought the Blackbird looked good in that color.

And, yes, I know there are those who would opine that the color is too placid or flaccid and prefer the "bold" blues we have (And ruby we are getting) in N.A.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somethings to consider,First weight! I understand the 06 is heavier! How much I am not sure. I have heard 40 to 60 pounds. I have also read threads on the on the 06 managment system "the cooling fins I think" having problems". For me!!!!, the heat issue I don't understand.I live in one of the hottest areas in the world Lake Havasu City Arizona. Its dry not humid. In the summer I have rode when it was 120. All I thought about was jumping in the pool. But I was thinking about that doing anything when it was 120. I don' t feel any more heat from 05 than any of the other 35 bikes I owned. Today I will go riding in the 50s to me thats cold. I have rode at 30 below 0 thats insane. But today if the motor gives me heat I will take it. Just remember half of the year its cold not hot. Heat can be a good thing!

I noticed a significant difference in heat between the 05 and 06. On the 06, I can only feel heat when stopped in traffic and even then it's mild. The 05 could have fried bacon tied to my calf muscles.

I also prefer the dash layout of the 06, although the 'adjustable handlebars' on the 06, aren't as adjustable as the non-adjustable handlebars on the 05 (due to the lack of aftermarket farkles).... if you see what I mean.

Either bike will be fantastic.

There are some very comprehensive threads on this and it boils down to this. The 05 is a great bike. The 06 is better. I live in a warm and dry environment and have rode both. The 06 heat fixes are real. They are significant. If I didn't have over $3k of farkles on my 05, I'd have bought an 06 a long time ago.