06 versus 05 Heat, new features, etc

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the bags are mounted closer in so the rear end is narrower by 1 inch or something.
Exactly right...same bag capacity on '06 but 1" narrower mounting means safer lane-sharing here in California. (Legal here but illegal in much of US. Gee, imagine if they outlawed lane sharing back in England. Anarchy!)

Welcome LeeLover. I'm sure glad you're not a LeeHater. :p

not experienced any heat issues on the 06 so far.. but it is still wintertime....

Heat was an issue on my Boss Hoss.....350V8 bike... lol...

Im hoping that all I have read about the redesign of the 06 and newer should aleviate any heat issues next summer....

Mosa

I live in the tropics (hence the name...), and heat is not a problem on the 06....indeed, the airflow on to your boots at 60 MPH is actually cool.

Update: I did some important fact finding today!

I was trying to make up my mind between two bikes: Buell Ulysses, or FJR. Yes, I know they are not exactly apples to apples! My thinking was this: I want a good handling, fun to ride bike that has factory hard bags, and comfortable passenger accomadations, with a price as close to 10K as possible.

The FJR has seemed to be the optimum choice for quite awhile to me. But there are a lot of unpaved areas that are tempting to me, too.

So, today my wife and I took a Ulysses for a test ride. What a different animal! Buells are very unigue in many ways. The V-twin vibration is awful from idle to about 2500-3000 rpm, and never totally goes away.

Low speed power delivery is difficult to modulate, seems like the gearing is too tall at parking lot speeds. It would take some time to get really smooth on this thing at walking speeds and just above. Not exactly great for trail riding, in my opinion. The bike does handle well and feel fairly light. Also feels close coupled, but not cramped. Seat height is now ok for me with the low seat. Rode through an unpaved construction area and the bike did do better than any other large street bike I have ridden in similar circumstances. Power delivery was good even with the low rev limit. But, the vibs were too much for my wife! It is an intriging bike, but not for us.

Anyway I went to look at the used 06 FJR I spoke of earlier at a dealer in Naples. They actually let me test ride it! Had to take it out solo, but it was great they did it at all! You guys (and girls too I think) are right what a great bike! It does not have quite the rush of power the Blackbird does and it feels alittle heavier, but it is amazingly close. Working out the deal and financing now. I will have this bike!

Thanks to all for all you input!

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the bags are mounted closer in so the rear end is narrower by 1 inch or something.
Exactly right...same bag capacity on '06 but 1" narrower mounting means safer lane-sharing here in California. (Legal here but illegal in much of US. Gee, imagine if they outlawed lane sharing back in England. Anarchy!)

Welcome LeeLover. I'm sure glad you're not a LeeHater. :p
Thanks, Lee! No the Leehater thing would not work well with my wife!

Thanks for the bag confirmation!

It does not have quite the rush of power the Blackbird does and it feels alittle heavier, but it is amazingly close. Working out the deal and financing now. I will have this bike!Thanks to all for all you input!
Glad you like the FJR. I also owned an XX. They are a great bike, but I find the FJR more comfortable and better for longer trips.

I live very close to some magnificent roads, and did 400 km over the weekend through twisties and sweepers. I'm coming off a K6 GSXR1000, so it is a rather unfair comparison....however, the big girl

handles very well for a bike of its size. I was really surprised at how much fun she was in the tight stuff...

Enjoy!

Rgds

Glenn

Update: I did some important fact finding today!I was trying to make up my mind between two bikes: Buell Ulysses, or FJR.
I know what you mean: I was trying to make up my mind between slamming my penis in a door and having a beer! :p

(I kid... I kid...)

FJR :yahoo:

I was trying to make up my mind between two bikes: Buell Ulysses, or FJR.
I know what you mean: I was trying to make up my mind between slamming my penis in a door and having a beer! :p

(I kid... I kid...)

+1 :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: You guys crack me up! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:

(I kid... I kid...)

Well, don't keep us "hanging", what did ya do??? :eek:

(I kid... I kid...)

I slammed my penis in a beer.... :blink:

I hope there is plenty of heat tomorrow, it's 17deg F. and I'm riding 40 mi to work

(I kid... I kid...)

I slammed my penis in a beer.... :blink:

I hope there is plenty of heat tomorrow, it's 17deg F. and I'm riding 40 mi to work
Hope it was a bottle and not a can !! Must hurt unless it was a big neck, like a Mickeys ! :D

Funny, my picks as well.

But, no ABS, that motor.... "like marbles in a clothes washer"... someone said

and a clutch lever!?!?! :haha:

Now, if only a nice HD dealer would find me an 06AE for say, 10,500?

!DAMN YOU HIGHLANDER!

;) ;) ;)