06 Yamaha top box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caryt

Reaction score
Thinking about getting one and cannot find pictures on how it gets mounted and how the mount looks without the top on....I hope theres no driling, would like a clean install ! Its that or get a Givi to install on my PCA rack, either way I loose the PCA backrest that my wife loves :angry2:

Thanks, Cary

Just put a Yamaha top box on my 07. With the accessory backrest and tax it came to over $700. The mounting bracket sits on top of the rack and adds another inch to its height but looks fine without the trunk. The dealer did the install because Yamaha paid for the bracket and installation due to the service bulletin. The case sits up pretty high and I can definately feel a handling difference at 70+ mph. You know it is there but so far there is no annoying handling difficulty.

Got the Yamaha top box on mine. Adds versatility. I hardly use my saddle bags anymore. The top case is just more convenient. The best thing is that it is keyed the same as my saddle bags and comes off just as easy. Plus, the color matches perfectly.

I thought about the Givi, but for a little more, I think the Yamaha model is worth it. I can't really notice it's back there because I block the wind from it. The weight is not a factor unless it is loaded with rocks or unless you have both the top case and the saddle bags loaded.

Yamaha says not to use it with the saddle bags due to overloading, but when the wife and I go for a weekend trip, it sure comes in handy. It definately handles different two up with saddle bags and top case loaded, but I can still have fun in the twistys, even fully loaded. You just have to slow it down a little.

Thinking about getting one and cannot find pictures on how it gets mounted and how the mount looks without the top on....I hope theres no driling, would like a clean install ! Its that or get a Givi to install on my PCA rack, either way I loose the PCA backrest that my wife loves :angry2:
Thanks, Cary
I posted this somewhere else, but just sit tight for a couple weeks. I have the PCA backrest also, and my wife loves it (I love that she doesn't claw at my ribcage as much).

For longer trips in the spring, I'm getting a Givi V46 trunk, meaning no room for the backrest. But, Duane @ PCA is getting a new, better backrest pad for the Givi. He says it should be as comfortable as the dedicated backrest. Plus, with the PCA rack, the Givi trunk can be moved forward & back, depending on the passenger space needed.

Thanks, Cary
I posted this somewhere else, but just sit tight for a couple weeks. I have the PCA backrest also, and my wife loves it (I love that she doesn't claw at my ribcage as much).

For longer trips in the spring, I'm getting a Givi V46 trunk, meaning no room for the backrest. But, Duane @ PCA is getting a new, better backrest pad for the Givi. He says it should be as comfortable as the dedicated backrest. Plus, with the PCA rack, the Givi trunk can be moved forward & back, depending on the passenger space needed.

Thanks, Cary

I have a Givi V46 with a corbin seat with a back rest (springs forward when you open the box) and love it! I did get a smuggler too, but with the GIVI mount, the smuggler does not fit!

How does the mount attach to the bike??

Uses factory holes or do we need to drill holes....

Cary

Last edited by a moderator:
The factory trunk mounting bracket attaches using the three bolts that presently hold on the rear luggage rack. No drilling. It also gives the best looks, (in my opinion) because of the paint matching color. You can get the Yamaha back rest pad that goes on the front of the box too.

The Yamaha box does not hold as much as a GIVI (46)? It's not that big. It will not hold two helmets. The new box with the beefed up bottom is now heavier. It must have gained 3 or 4 pounds.

It can produce a little wooble on the highway >70 but I was able to cure most of that by putting the rear suspension on soft. This was a problem riding solo, 2 up was no issue.