'08 vrs '07> throttle stiffness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmilan

Reaction score
Hello All,

Considering a purchase of a new '08 FJR.

My BMWs need to be sold first though. One of two is scheduled to go tomorrow.

Test rode a couple used '07 FJR. Noticed a very stiff throttle action ( high effort to twist - i m o anyway). Had read about this condition.

Also had read somewhere that the '08 was going to have a resdsigned pieces/part which would help ease effort required at the twist grip.

Anyone know if the '08s have changed from earlier models in this regard. Or, is there a fix, for '08s and/or earlier model years available here in the archives?

Potential new owner,

aka Dmilan

Yes there is a fix. There are 3 total springs hooked to the throttle. The stiffest is the middle one. You can unwind it 1 time and the throttle is easier to twist.

Go to google and put in fjrforum unwind throttle spring. it will shoe you pics and explain it all.

This has been discussed many times, but since it's not Friday....

I've owned both an 07 (deceased) and the current 08. The 08 certainly has better throttle response & feel than the 07, from the factory. However, $65 (G2 Throttle Cam) and an hour of work (G2 install, throttle spring unwind, and Barbarian Mod) fix the 07 issues.