17 MPG Instant Reading problem fixed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my FJR for a week now, and it has the "17 MPG" demon. I have already contacted the dealer, and they will have the replacement gauges in the next day or two. I will just have to shop their showroom while they install the new gauges. I'm still a little pissed that they didn't do this before I picked up the bike. Typical.

I think a really good dealer would have had this taken care of. The dealer I got my bike from said he was fixing all the FJR's he still had in stock before they go out the door.

For all of you guys that missed it, the ODO can be brought up to your current milage. I had it done on my bike and the dealer paid for it.
I missed it. How did they do it?

Also had the cluster replaced and the mechanic managed to put some deep scratches in glove box lid. :angry2: So, he told me he would get me a replacement. <_<

Now two weeks went by, so I called and ask about the new lid and when they thought it would get here.

The reply was...the lid is not available by itself, I guess the complete panel has to be replaced. :huh:

So I asked, now what? His reply... we're working with yamaha to get it resolved. :unsure:
This smacks of all that is wrong with Yamaha. There is no way it takes 2 weeks to find out about a part. From my personal experience with Yamaha it must be a requirement for service managers to lie to and belittle their customers. There has to be some good truthful Yamaha personnel out there, I just haven't seen any except Tony on this board. Just tell your service manager you will be on the phone to Yamaha customer relations to find out if this part has really been taken care of. Is this part of tech training at Yamaha to screw with their customers who have paid dearly for their products? Yamaha customer relations phone number is: 1-800-962-7926. Good luck and you don't have to take it anymore. PM. <>< ;)

Bad News - The mechanic told me as I walked in that he had an "accident" while working on my bike. That's never a good thing to hear. Sure enough, somehow he managed to put a two-inch gouge on the side of the fairing. Of course, it's right where it shows the most, and it's not going to buff out. Plus, it's not on a small replaceable panel, it's on the main big expensive piece. He told me the I would have to live with it...
Dude, did they slap one of these on your bike while they were at it?

seal1.gif

You take your new bike into a dealership, they gouge the fairing, and you don't tell them to replace it? Wassup wit dat? Screw the mechanic, talk to the owner/manager, or the regional Yammy rep if need be... that ain't right...

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the cluster replaced on my bike yesterday. Took A LOT longer than I thought. 2.75 hours. But, no scratches or anything, and everything is now as it should be.

The "Odometer has been replaced" sticker was in the box with the new cluster, but it just never seemed to make it on to the bike, or into the owners manual. Darn.

My dealer told me that I could get the cluster replaced anytime, that there is no time limit.When and if I want it done they would then order the cluster and do the work.Carmyn :fans:

Had the cluster replaced on my bike yesterday. Took A LOT longer than I thought. 2.75 hours. But, no scratches or anything, and everything is now as it should be.
The "Odometer has been replaced" sticker was in the box with the new cluster, but it just never seemed to make it on to the bike, or into the owners manual. Darn.
Same here.

FWIW, this was my first experience with a Yamaha dealer for any kind of service and it was a good one. I used Stadium Yamaha in Irving TX. They ordered the parts and got me in without a fuss. Did the switch while I waited. It took them nearly 3 hours as this was their first time on an '06. All farkles replaced, no scratches, and all is good. I highly recommend them.

EDIT: The glove box sticker was applied. I just didn't see it the first time I looked. I had almost exactly 3K at the time of the change which is cool because it helps me keep my oil changes in sync in my head.

FWIW, I wasn't going to have mine fixed just for the mpg bug. I decided to go ahead when the speedo and tach needles started getting wonky on their startup sweep.

The next buyer of your bike would surely appreciate the disclosure.

It looks like they replaced mine when they assembled the bike. I have the sticker in my box, with a "zero miles" on it.

The next buyer of your bike would surely appreciate the disclosure.

It looks like they replaced mine when they assembled the bike. I have the sticker in my box, with a "zero miles" on it.
Next Buyer! Next Buyer? There ain't going to be no stinkin next buyer. :crazy:

O.K. maybe there will be, and yes I will inform them of the change. However, since the change was made with only 1500 miles on the bike, I hope it will be less than 1% of the total miles when I am ready to sell.

You guys & gals keep getting the cluster replaced.

I think I'm going to keep mine as it is and end up with one of the "few original early '06 production run bikes" with the "17 error".

just like a double stamped '55 penny, it might have some additional appeal to someone somewhere sometime someday :dntknw:

...besides, instantaneous mpg just makes you feel guilty about twisting

...... I wasn't going to have mine fixed just for the mpg bug. I decided to go ahead when the speedo and tach needles started getting wonky on their startup sweep.

That is the same reason I had mine replaced. My tach needle was sticking! :angry2:

Unless they knew/thought to check it out, you'd never know otherwise. Everything else in the instrument cluster works fine.

I had the same problem and it wasn't a big deal to fix, other than I agree that it kinds of sucks to have the ODO roll back to zero.

I had the same problem and it wasn't a big deal to fix, other than I agree that it kinds of sucks to have the ODO roll back to zero.
Yeah. I agree. I feel cheated out of the 10k I put on it. Now I look and see a paltry 2k and think... whaa happened then remember..

Yeah. I agree. I feel cheated out of the 10k I put on it. Now I look and see a paltry 2k and think... whaa happened then remember..

To bad the SpeedoHealers aren't plug and play on the '06's. I'd offer to put one out in rotation for $4 per person plus the shipping costs to the next rider if it was. They can be put into a test mode and will count off 450 mph!

I had mine replaced this week. No issues at all. No damage to the dash, and they handed me the stickers.

I did notice on my trip to Arkansas that the new speedo is more accurate vs. the GPS than the original. I'd say the error rate is down to 4% or so vs. the 8% I saw on the original speedo.

Had mine replaced last week. Had the good fortune to armorall :lol: my glove box so that the sticker came right off. Put it in my owners manual so that the next owner will have to add 8753 miles to check for maint. etc. I should have waited till it was on an even number.