1997 KTM 250 EXC... good, bad or ugly?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niehart

Pie Smuggler
Reaction score
I just stumbled across a 1997 KTM 250 EXC still wearing the original Pirelli MT18 rubber. So clean you would guess it was new.

I don't know enough about this 250 EXC to spend money on it. Does anyone have knowledge about this model?

I just stumbled across a 1997 KTM 250 EXC still wearing the original Pirelli MT18 rubber. So clean you would guess it was new.

I don't know enough about this 250 EXC to spend money on it. Does anyone have knowledge about this model?

Anything with the letters KTM in it will require lots of denero! Nice bikes though!

The EXC line from KTM has a wide ratio tranny and plusher suspension for woods/enduro riding and a lighting coil. That's the main differance from the sx & mx models. Ktms used to carry a higher price tag for OEM and aftermarket parts, but that has leveled off with the increase in their popularity and more aftermarket parts competition. I have an 05 450 EXC 4 stroke and love it. The parts aren't any more expensive than any of the Jap bikes I've had... What kind of riding are you going to be doing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mountain trail riding
Then you can't go wrong with a 250 XC-W. They are easily jetted (and this is NOT the case with the 300 XC-W) and have a great combination of torque and speed. I don't believe there is a better woods bike than the KTM XC-W bikes.

Joe

Mountain trail riding
If it runs and everything works like it should, it's a great bike. I wouldn't give more than 1250, 1500 tops.

If it's been sitting for more than a year or two, I'd pass unless yer a good wrench. (Seals and stuff get bad sitting.)

Got any pichers? :)

A '97 is starting to get a little long in the tooth IMHO. It might be OK as a display piece but getting replacement parts for a KTM that old may be problematic.

If you are going to be out in the mountains you are looking for reliability and I would have concerns about a 14 year old KTM fitting that bill. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

A '97 is starting to get a little long in the tooth IMHO. It might be OK as a display piece but getting replacement parts for a KTM that old may be problematic.

If you are going to be out in the mountains you are looking for reliability and I would have concerns about a 14 year old KTM fitting that bill. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
Come on Bill, a 14 year old KTM is probably no less reliable than a brand new one.

:p

The ugly?

When Dave's sitting on it. :rolleyes:

;)
O-U-C-H

I kinda agree with yamafitter on this one - and the best mc tech I've met says KTM brings him more money for his *service* shop than any other brand... but again, I want a certain model KTM bad..
..and I'm the guy spending $$$ on a 1987 ATK? (WTFO?)

If I may say so.. If the bike is really pristine, and at the right price, given that Mr.PieEater probably won't put it through, uhh, too many stressful situations, I'd buy it. Of course, it's a well known fact that KTM's can't pass any pie shop. :lol:

Damn I hate it when MM2 is correct.

brap & joebiodiesel & rushes, good info thanks. [and rushes good line :lol: ]

yamafitter, the bike fires up on the first kick. It also comes with a set of Excel rims and tires that have never been on the bike.

Hudson, it would go to the cabin in Montana. I could even put a plate on it in Montana.

DC, "If the bike is really pristine," It's just like new except all the cool stuff has been done too it. The right jetting, bush guards, fork boots, etc.

Going to have to go back and try to get them into rushes price range. :assassin:

Really, what's the worse case?

..crank seals are gone

on a 2-stroke motor that's what, 2 hours labor once the engine is outta the frame.

I'd bite. Sold.

So will this be a forth (fifth) bike in the stable Pops? At least the gas tank is keeping within *your* range... ;)

--G

George, I might have to park it at your house for awhile... :rolleyes:
Not a problem...I'll even volunteer to keep the premix fresh! :yahoo: I've still got my MX boots and Moto3, that'll still work , yes?

--G

Not a problem...I'll even volunteer to keep the premix fresh! :yahoo: I've still got my MX boots and Moto3, that'll still work , yes?

--G
Oh no you don't... I have a full on MX track at the house and room in the garage!

Besides, I called dibs first! :****: you, you scoundrel you!

--G
Oh no you don't... I have a full on MX track at the house and room in the garage!

Besides, I called dibs first! :****: you, you scoundrel you!
...alright, we'll settle this once and for all! Rock, paper, scissors... or arm-wrestle ya for it? :lol: :ph34r:

--G