1997 KTM 250 EXC... good, bad or ugly?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A '97 is starting to get a little long in the tooth IMHO. It might be OK as a display piece but getting replacement parts for a KTM that old may be problematic.

If you are going to be out in the mountains you are looking for reliability and I would have concerns about a 14 year old KTM fitting that bill. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
Come on Bill, a 14 year old KTM is probably no less reliable than a brand new one.

:p
Oh good grief! Now what 14 year old bike would you not have concearns about?

I have 2 KTM's that run even somtimes when they shouldn't, I have finally figured out that 99% of the problem is the nut behind the wheel!

What other bike can you fill the engine with river water and still ride it?

that is a good find. as said, it's a 2 stroke, they are easy to rebuild.
And the good thing is, by parking it at the cabin in Niehart his big brother Bill would be doing all the work on it! Dave would ride it once every other year, life is good for the Pie whore. :lol:

A '97 is starting to get a little long in the tooth IMHO. It might be OK as a display piece but getting replacement parts for a KTM that old may be problematic.

If you are going to be out in the mountains you are looking for reliability and I would have concerns about a 14 year old KTM fitting that bill. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
My uncle still rides the crap out of his '78 KTM 250, not sure which one though. It's seen pretty constant use for the past 33 years. I wish I had the money for a second bike, it would most likely be a KTM 250 of some flavor.

I have 2 KTM's that run even somtimes when they shouldn't, I have finally figured out that 99% of the problem is the nut behind the wheel!

Refresh my memory. As I recall the KTM turned into a bit of a trailer queen for a day or two after it's refreshing dip in the Rio Urique. It wasn't too much longer after that the the rear spocket decided to eject leading to a humiliating DNF.

There was another KTM that decided it was too hot out for the rear brake to stop. Not that I was keeping track of these things. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Refresh my memory. As I recall the KTM turned into a bit of a trailer queen after it's refreshing dip in the Rio Urique. It wasn't too much longer after that the the rear spocket decided to eject leading to a humilitaing DNF.

There was another KTM that decided it was too hot out for the rear brake to stop. Not that I was keeping track of these things. :p
You forgot about the fuel tank leak...

Keep Tools Mandatory...(and JB Weld)

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Refresh my memory. As I recall the KTM turned into a bit of a trailer queen after it's refreshing dip in the Rio Urique. It wasn't too much longer after that the the rear spocket decided to eject leading to a humilitaing DNF.

You forgot about the fuel tank leak...

Keep Tools Mandatory...

:lol:
I don't blame the bike for that. The fuel leak was pilot error.

Well I guess I deserve all that, since it was only my fault!

A 14 year old KTM has as good a chance of being a reliable bike as any other 14 year old bike, I think it would mostly depend on its past life!

I really tried to buy a '98 250 EXC in 1999 that was a holdover but the dealer refused to budge even when I offered him $100 less than it was tagged, so I walked and bought an RM 250 I set up for trail riding.

Anyway--they're nice bikes. The suspension is softer b/c they aren't made for flat landing motocross jumps like a 250 motocrosser. They have a wider-range tranny with a low first gear which is good. They have a pretty mild "power band" and torque pretty good, but don't have a wicked hp hit like an rm/cr/kx/yz. They use quality components.

If there's a downside--parts will be harder to come by and will cost more. Also, their linkless rear suspension just doesn't work as good as the links on other bikes. But, they're light and fun to ride. And they smell good, like all 2-smokes!

Niehart- one thing t keep in mind is the jetting... If it's set up for lower elevation, it will probably need to be rejetted for montana. The easiest solution is from a jet kit put out by a company called JD Jetting. This guy is a jetting jedi and has the KTM jetting dialed! The kits typically come with 2 different tapered needles, pilot jets, main jets and instructions on how exactly to jet your bike for altitude and air temps. I have one of his kits in mine and can say that it is super easy install with excellent results. IIRC the kits are about $90. Also, if you do end up with a katoom, check out KTMtalk.com. TONS of info, help, mods, etc. It's kinda like the FJRforum for KTMs! ;)