2 separate episodes of Road Rage at night

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyway

Reaction score
I'm posting this here, as this happened last night while heading home from the Napa ride. I'm not sure this is the right spot for the thread though? I still can't believe this all transpired in less than half an hour of one-another.

On the way home I had 2 encounters with road raging cagers, first some lady in a late model honda accord tried to take me out twice on I-5 heading south toward Stockton. First she tried to put my in the shoulder with a hard right swerve and I managed to out brake her, then she slowed down and slammed on in front of me in the fast lane and I avoided her again with a full grab of the brake lever. Finally the crazy bitch sped away and for the first time I felt completely vulnerable on 2 wheels. I have no idea what triggered her to do this? I've never struck a woman in my life and have very strong feelings about any man that does, but I would have kicked the shit out of her if I had the opportunity.

Then on Hwy4, not 20 minutes later I had another car (some large type US brand) come from within a group of cars behind me and just sit right on my fender and was all over the road behind me, I got the impression the driver was either high or drunk. I stayed calm for about 2 miles, then started getting nervous. There's nothing out on Hwy4, just 2 lanes of farmland darkness for about 30 miles. I tried slowing way down and just moved across the lane to allow the car to pass, but the car came right up real fast and slammed the brakes on right behind my fender and I heard the tires chirp. Scary shit for sure. So I did the only thing I could think of to get away from this nut job, I nailed it for around 20 miles, throwing caution to my license, I figured I'd take my chances this way vs. the alternative unknowns of pulling over. The driver was staying with me right around a ton, albeit not holding a good line, so you get an idea of what transpired. The road finally smoothed out heading up hill and I was relieved to finally see the car lights disappear as I poured it on.

I know the dog-piling may ensue for advertised high rates of speed, but this was the only way I felt I could take control of the situation and not have to deal with whoever was in that car and why they want to start shit like this?

I really have to evaluate how vulnerable and completely defenseless I felt against a hunk of steel and people who gave me the impression they want to take me out. If I had pulled over with car #2, which had at least 2 occupants, what would have I defended myself with, my tank-bag? I was in the middle of nowhere with no places of business etc to pull into. What would you guys do in this situation?

I haven't mentioned this to wifey and would appreciate nobody else doing so either, as this will cause her to worry big-time in the future when I'm out riding.

Stuff like this is enough to make me want to hang up the keys for 2 wheel enjoyment. Bastards!! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Skyway,

I am glad you are alright. I, too, had some similar incidents happen to me for no apparent reason as well. They happened to me in Cali, especially if you split some lanes and the cagers took offense for some reason. Good news, as least in Cali you can take some defensive moves by splitting lanes to get away from the rager cagers...here in Ga, you can't and I really miss those opportunities.

Keep the faith and I promise, I won't tell your wife about....just tell it happened to a friend you know!

Ian, you did what you had to do and lived to tell about it. Glad you're around to ride another day. WELL DONE!

There are bastards out there trying to kill us all....EVERY FREAKIN DAY!!!!!!!

Watch your 6. Your 3, 9 and 12 too!

I come from a family of riders, and it is part of the family lore that there are some people that just hate motorcyclists enough to do this kind of crap. I personally have not had this kind of encounter, yet, but family members and friends of the family have. I don't understand the motivation of these people, and really don't care as it is unrational. It is enough to know they exist, and be wary. I think you acted appropriately - the strength of the cage is its size, the strength of the Feejer is it power and handling.

You played to your strengths to avoid a dangerous situation, exactly what you should have done.

How others take your actions from reading your post is Monday morning quaterbacking. We were not there, so I would say to hell with what everybody else thinks (unless they agree with you of course) ;)

As far as hanging up the keys goes, that is a personal decision. I have come close myself. Riding to visit my brother in the hospital I was going about 60mph when I had a van turn left across my lane. The guy saw me, just didn't care, and it was CLOSE - I was saved due to the excellent brakes of a motorcycle. Scared the crap out of me, and if someone had offered me money for the bike right then it would have been gone.

I think you could make the case to the LEO that you were evading bodily damage, and then point out the car as he passes you and the LEO, and make some mention of "I think he's drunk or high".

You did well in both cases! Skills testing for the first and ticket vs injury [them or you] is a fair trade, if the jury went against you, for the second.

Riding is personal choice and each must balance risk vs reward. For me just before mounting, I ask myself if I'm ready to die riding today. Most days the answer is yes and I always enjoy those rides. Somedays the answer is no and I always enjoy those rides. Sometimes its maybe and I've found that I don't enjoy riding in that frame of mind.

Keep your mind at Peace and the answer will come for you.

rublenoon

Glad your okay skyway! I always ride life their out to get me. It's helped save my bacon a few times in traffic.

Get a CCW, and exercise your right to defend yourself. There's a time and place when it's called 'justifiable'.

Flame away, but when someone actually tries to take you out their life just became worth a lot less than yours!

Riding is personal choice and each must balance risk vs reward. For me just before mounting, I ask myself if I'm ready to die riding today. Most days the answer is yes and I always enjoy those rides. Somedays the answer is no and I always enjoy those rides. Sometimes its maybe and I've found that I don't enjoy riding in that frame of mind.
Keep your mind at Peace and the answer will come for you.

rublenoon

You should never have to ask yourself that question before you ride. It is a personal choice to ride, but it should be a sacrificial decision. I will die when my time comes. If I'm on a motorcycle when it happens, so be it.

To ride is to experience life. It's not the desire to die.

You should be asking yourself this question before you mount up and ride:

"Am I prepared mentally to give 110% of my mental energy, so I can enjoy this ride to the fullest?" If the answer is "No", then take the car that day.

that's why i always carry a weapon on me. good to hear you made it out ok. i don't hink anyone would judge you for using what you had available (your right wrist) to avaoid a potentially deadly situation, even a cop.

Did you make someone's top ten shit list, sky? Did someone write something biased on the back of your coat?

Did you forget to turn off those HIDs? :dribble: :p

Be safe, I consider it a good day when only one person tries to murder me on the road!!!!

It's not the desire to die.

You should be asking yourself this question before you mount up and ride:

"Am I prepared mentally to give 110% of my mental energy, so I can enjoy this ride to the fullest?" If the answer is "No", then take the car that day.

"Ready to" does not equal "desire to".

My question to myself means about the same for me as your suggested question. Your words said it better.

ride safe

rublenoon

Maybe you're an "idiot magnet" on 3-day weekends. :dribble: Sounds like you did the right thing in each instance. Sometimes people are just stupid-dangerous and these are good wake-up notices. Still, 2 incidents from "out-of-the-blue" would make my heart skip a beat or two, or three. BTDT but was able to escape an outrageous "chaser" (Funny that I was telling that story yesterday).

As someone has already stated, some people are irrational in their fears and the expression of that fear, you were simply an available target for their "sharing experience". Yes, we are vulnerable. Too bad you couldn't lure # 2 into an off-road experience. And there is no way to write down a license plate--as if you would think to notice it while evading the insane--a report it to the local gendarmes.

Hm....idiot magnet....sounds like a good presidential race slogan. Or, is that what was painted on the back of your jacket that night?

Ditto the feelings so far. You did the right thing. I personally haven't had anything like that, but some people don't watch what they are doing and then don't care when they do. Glad to hear you are ok.

My take on the situation, which a 2 wheeler finds themselves in just about anytime there is traffic around, is use everything the motorcycle has to keep you in the safest place. That includes the throttle. When in traffic, down in Dallas, I am prepared to explain to the officer what I was doing and I personally don't care how fast I end up going, if it was the right thing to do at the time. I have used the speed to get out of the way before, taking it well above posted I am sure, but it got me out of the situation and I live another day.

As far as hanging the keys up, I know people that have. Again, personal choice. I guess, if you can wake up, think to yourself that you would enjoy a bike ride, then you should go on the bike ride. If the day comes where you start to dread the experience, I suspect it is time to look for a buyer.

Once a little time passes, I suspect you will be right back into it and this will be another story to tell around the camp fire. "Damn, one time this crazy chick tried to take me out when.............."

Take care,

Bryan

I have it on good authority that the "Farkle-mafia" put a hit out on you... for ... ahem... endangering their livelihood. :blink:

Glad goons 1 and 2 failed... keep your eyes out for the rest of the pack... hard to pass up a free "happy meal" bounty... ;)

Well done mate, you did right. Glad you are OK. Not something I have heard of here in the UK, but I would not be surprised knowing the way British society is heading.

We have a problem with false emergency calls, when the fire/ambulance service turn up they get stoned and attacked??????? No doubt by the same morons that would try and run a bike off the road for the entertainment.

I think the bottom line is don't let the bastards grind you down. If you hang up the keys they have won, and you have been denied a great pleasure by some knuckle dragging turd who only learned to walk upright this morning.

As if motorcycling wern't dangerous enough, maybe we need to consider a new danger every time we go out.

I think from what you say the first instance was just some dizzy bitch, we get plenty of those here too. The second was obviously some dickheads getting a kick out of shitting you up.

Take a month off the bike, things will seem better then.