2003 FJR Won't Start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, don't get me started on flat Florida... I've ridden roller coasters that go higher than the highest point in the state!

Bike update: replaced the rectifier/regulator on Thursday and it's been starting fine since. No sluggishness atall.

Oh, don't get me started on flat Florida... I've ridden roller coasters that go higher than the highest point in the state!
I was gonna be a smartass and point out that the highest point in Florida is 345 feet, but then discovered the highest roller coaster is 456 feet.

DAYUM!!!

:lol:

BTDT got the t-shirt.

Well, the t-shirt is a lie.... There's no store there. Not even a Coke machine. (That would require electricity...)

It's barely actually in Florida, though. Any competent sniper could shoot you from a perch in Alabama. If you stand in the road, away from the trees.

Highpoint.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was gonna be a smartass and point out that the highest point in Florida is 345 feet, but then discovered the highest roller coaster is 456 feet.

DAYUM!!!

:lol:
Haha yeah, never underestimate just how flat this place is. Figures that the highest point is practically in Alabama.

The turn this has taken is all too vaguely familiar.

Haven't we been here before, Walt??? ;)
What, are you saying the thread is going downhill?

I like bringing it up when I get a chance. Ha, get it? "Up?" As in high? :lol:

I crack me up. Ooh, there's "up" again!

I have to say, though, that the park is improved since my picture above was taken. They have covered picnic tables, a granite marker, a real sign on the road, and a paved parking area. They've gone all uptown! The restrooms are still useless, though; It appears they get attention every year, whether they need it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great! I was looking for a post about this very problem. I have a 03, and have the same problem. In my case I have not had a problem with it not starting but it acts like the battery is almost too weak to turn the engine. I had it in the shop a few weeks ago to have the valves checked and asked them to see what is casing the starting problem. They couldn’t find anything and called the Yamaha Tec line and they said they had no idea. If you need to know ANYTHING about a FJR ask the umpteen thousand FJR1300 owners on the forum some one will have an answer.

Been reading up on the warm start issue wfooshee was having in another thread.. My issue wasnt the same, but I was curious to know what the final solution was...

Anyhow, I have an 09 with about 14k miles that won't start up "cold" easily.. I am in TX, so cold is anywhere between 30-50F when I have the problem... When I finally get it to start, I shut it off, and it will start right back up. Let it sit overnight, it won't start in the morning. Ride it to work, it won't start up when it's time to go home.

In the morning, what I have done after it wouldnt start is put it on a trickle charger, and then finish getting geared up. In those 5 mins, when I try to start it again, it will start... The last time I took it to work I had to push start it myself, and it only took about 3 tries...

It's driving me nuts.

I plan on doing the VR/Charging system check as soon as I get home tonight... I was thinking maybe clogged injectors, but I should check this anyway...

Thanks for the link 03HiYoSilver!

New battery. And charge the dang thing overnight before you use it to start her up. Me thinks the initial poster of this thread toasted his/her battery by just dropping it in the skoot and demanding a fat american to run a marathon.

I have tried letting the current battery sit on a charger overnight, which didn't help much. But it won't if the original battery is marginal at this point. Just odd that it does crank over the engine, it just doesn't start cold, but fires right up when warm.

I have a smaller YT9B battery I have considered putting in there, but thats about 115CCA vs 200CCA of the YTX14-BS. Don't want to spend $100 on a replacement until I am sure its the culprit..

I have tried letting the current battery sit on a charger overnight, which didn't help much. But it won't if the original battery is marginal at this point. Just odd that it does crank over the engine, it just doesn't start cold, but fires right up when warm.
I have a smaller YT9B battery I have considered putting in there, but thats about 115CCA vs 200CCA of the YTX14-BS. Don't want to spend $100 on a replacement until I am sure its the culprit..
Try using booster cables and jumping it from your car battery. If that works, go out and buy a new battery for your MC.

Clogged injectors?? Boosting the battery????

If I'm reading what I think i read.. charging the battery isn't gonna do a thing for the injectors.. It's the battery pal