2005 FJR Gear Shift Speeds

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark05FJR

Reaction score
I was reading the 2005 manual and it indicated that upshifts should be done at the following speeds:

1st -> 2nd: 12.5 MPH

2nd -> 3rd 19 MPH

3rd -> 4th 25 MPH

4th -> 5th 31 MPH

I've been riding a Suzuki SV650s before I got my FJR and the bike would stall below 2500 RPMs. At these recommended speeds, the FJR is barely pushing 2000 RPMs. I'm real concerned I'm going to stall out. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Why would you be afraid that you are going to stall out? Does the engine sound like it is going to stall?

That's probably about where I shift, I am just not one who likes to unnecessarily rev an engine. But I shift easy and accelerate easy.

I brought this point up before. Those are exactly the same shift points recommended in the manual for my '92 Honda Nighthawk 750. It makes one wonder if this is a Japanese industry standard, or if they just use the same translating company?

Before the FJR, I had a Goldwing and the RPM shift points are much lower there, closer to 1200 rpm ;-)

Ken

Funny how after I've ridden the FJR for awhile, I don't particularly notice the tach much. Occasionally, I'll glance at it to determine if I'm in 5th gear or not, but that's about it. My guess is that the rpms listed are minimums recommended?

Gary

darksider #44

I noticed that the fuel injected engine is much more stable with the clutch out at low speeds. Low speed turns with the Suzuki SV650s made me feather the clutch to avoid stalling. The FJR is easier to handle at slow speeds with the clutch all the way out.It certainly seems odd that a motorcycle capable of hitting over 150 MPH hits top gear at 31 MPH.

Have you ridden the bike? Do you know how to drive a clutch operated vehicle? Do you know how to tell when you are going too slow for a certain gear? Do you know that for faster acceleration, you will need higher revs? Do you know how to keep from lugging the engine?

If you know any of that stuff, why would you shift into 5th at 31mph and expect any type of solid engine performance?

Who has ever followed stupid advice that is written in the owners manual?? A lot of that crap, like how to start the machine, is put in there to account for the owner who is the lowest common denominator. That's not you is it??

Seriously, go ride and figure it out. Its not that hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ridden the bike? Do you know how to drive a clutch operated vehicle? Do you know how to tell when you are going too slow for a certain gear? Do you know that for faster acceleration, you will need higher revs? Do you know how to keep from lugging the engine?

If you know any of that stuff, why would you shift into 5th at 31mph and expect any type of solid engine performance?

Who has ever followed stupid advice that is written in the owners manual?? A lot of that crap, like how to start the machine, is put in there to account for the owner who is the lowest common denominator. That's not you is it??

Seriously, go ride and figure it out. Its not that hard.
Dude! Decaf! :rolleyes:

I noticed that the fuel injected engine is much more stable with the clutch out at low speeds. Low speed turns with the Suzuki SV650s made me feather the clutch to avoid stalling. The FJR is easier to handle at slow speeds with the clutch all the way out.It certainly seems odd that a motorcycle capable of hitting over 150 MPH hits top gear at 31 MPH.
Asked and answered. I just wouldn't enjoy this ride for to long.

:ph34r:

Results are best at about 4000 RPM for everyday driving. The manual in this case is pretty useless.

I appreciate the feedback. Even the caffienated ones. I got the FJR with only 4000 miles on it. I want it to go more than 100,000 miles so am cautious about treating it right for lowest maintenance costs as well as safety.

I typically shift around 4k RPMs as it just feels right. Nice to know I can shift earlier without concerns for stalling or lagging the engine.

Mark,

Just put some miles on it and shift points will become natural without even thinking about it. You may be forgetting that the FJR makes roughly double the power of the SV. You'll grow to appreciate the 'giant hand' that pushes you.

When in doubt, shift when it hits the rev limiter. :yahoo:

Below is from svrider.com

Did you follow those shift points on you sv650?

Is it Friday yet?

"When do you shift gears?

I've been going by what the manual says - upshifting at 12, 19, 25, 31 and 37 mph, then down again at 31, 25, etc. "

I

But as Petey pointed out in another similar post: if you wait until the rev-limiter to shift on any gear but first, the chances of going to jail go way up and MPG goes way down.

This stupid broken foot has me stir crazy already and it hasn't even been a full week. I'm gonna go sit on my bike and make vroom-vroom noises.

I was posting "NEPRT for shift speeds!!!! NEPRT for shift speeds!!!" and it wouldn't post, said the thread went away.

Guess where it went?????? :D

As for the manual, treat those as absolute minimum speeds for each gear, i.e. don't shift before that speed.

I appreciate the feedback. Even the caffienated ones. I got the FJR with only 4000 miles on it. I want it to go more than 100,000 miles so am cautious about treating it right for lowest maintenance costs as well as safety.

I typically shift around 4k RPMs as it just feels right. Nice to know I can shift earlier without concerns for stalling or lagging the engine.
Actually, I have let my bike pull down to 35 mph in 5th through small towns when riding lazily along the Sacramento River.

I think it's much healthier for the engine to not do that but rather to keep the RPMs a little higher on the tach.

Best way to treat the engine is to avoid keeping it in a limited RPM range. When conditions permit, let 'er redline occasionally. This bike likes to rev :yahoo:

Also, change the oil/filter often, and don't follow the owner's manual w/r to re-using the filter. Install a fresh filter with each oil change.

Ride it like you stole it, and enjoy it. I have not heard of anyone who was able to keep it up and broke it. It you usually brakes them. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Always obey the manual...or you may invalidate your warranty. ;)

aka....shift @ 4000 = mild

.......shift @ 6000 = fun

.......shift @ 8000 = wild

I got my 05 with less than 4k miles on it in Aug of 2010. The forum was hounding me that the bike wasn't even broke in yet. You say you're concerned about lugging the engine. It will tell you when it's not happy. Give it too much throttle at say 1500 rpm and it'll vibrate like crazy, letting you know that you need to go easy on the throttle at REAL low rpms. You said you were hoping for a 100k miles. WHY??? Is that ALL you think you'll get? That engine is designed to last. Many of our forum members have gotten far more than 100 k on their FJR's. Maybe you don't realize what you have there. If you run her up to the redline every time you go through the gears and spend most of your days cruising in triple digit temperatures at triple digit speeds, you might see 100 k miles. Otherwise, it should go far more than that. Just keep up with your oil, filter and fluid changes, keep an eye on the CCT and the valves when you're supposed to, and forget about babying the engine. Don't worry, you won't wear it out by using it a little. If you wanted to putz around, maybe ya shoulda got a Harley??? Sorry 'bout that, I couldn't resist. Seriously though, that's one tough engine, you don't have to baby it. I'd be far more concerned about dumping it because your throttle hand got you in over your head than I would be about using the engine too much. Actually, running the rpms up to the redline once in a while is good for it, and it's definitely good for YOU. Let's worry about things that will help YOU last a long time, like don't tailgate and keep your eyes on the road. The Yammie will be just fine. You've got better things to worry about. Now just get out there and enjoy the power. After all, you paid for it :yahoo:

Gary

darksider #44