2006 FJR1300 Heli Bar Update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the riding position, nimrod, not the riders.
Nice. Very nice.

Me thinks you need to go back and read his post there BAGGER.

Iffin it was only the riding position, and not the riders, then why isn't everybody complaining?

"Me thinks you need to go back and read his post there BAGGER.

Iffin it was only the riding position, and not the riders, then why isn't everybody complaining?"

He wrote "...But the FJR is not a forward leaning bike out of the box, unless you have midget arms.

It aint no cruiser, but it's not something that puts a lot of weight on your hands. Let go of the death grip on the bars and relax."

I did reread the posts. The above is a quote from his post, Scooter. And I wrote that it is the riding position. And, it is a forward leaning position for some and this pressure places pressure on the same nerve endings that cause carpal tunnel problems. Hence, the numbing of the fingers and hands along with pain in some folks.

"...why isn't everyone complaining?" Well, I don't know why that is, Scooter. Perhaps for the same reasons some folks don't mind the stock saddle ... others can't deal with it. Sound familiar?

BAGGER

hola,

talked to the heli-bar folks the other day, and the net result was i got put on a "notify when ready" list. the indication was that the price would likely be in the $3-400 range, but until machine time was pinned down, they wouldn't know for sure.

this isn't really NEW info, but it hopefully DOES get the thread back on track, and it puts me just 5 away from shucking my training wheels...

:lol:

shu

"Me thinks you need to go back and read his post there BAGGER.
Iffin it was only the riding position, and not the riders, then why isn't everybody complaining?"

He wrote "...But the FJR is not a forward leaning bike out of the box, unless you have midget arms.

It aint no cruiser, but it's not something that puts a lot of weight on your hands. Let go of the death grip on the bars and relax."

I did reread the posts. The above is a quote from his post, Scooter. And I wrote that it is the riding position. And, it is a forward leaning position for some and this pressure places pressure on the same nerve endings that cause carpal tunnel problems. Hence, the numbing of the fingers and hands along with pain in some folks.

"...why isn't everyone complaining?" Well, I don't know why that is, Scooter. Perhaps for the same reasons some folks don't mind the stock saddle ... others can't deal with it. Sound familiar?

BAGGER

I'm not an tall guy, about average. 5-11 last time I checked. I've ridden a lot of different bikes as well.

I'm sorry you took my sarcasm a little harsh.

Fact is though, the FJR for what it is, (a sport-touring bike) has a pretty upright ergos. That was my only real point there.

A whole bunch of other folks might want bar risers, or even the bars back even more, and that's cool. This is America.

Certainly when you take all the wind off your chest that hurts a lot too. The biggest thing that has hurt my hands over the years on anything (mostly dirtbikes) was a tight grip.

Heli makes great stuff, hopefully they'll get you what you need, up, back or what ever direction.

talked to the heli-bar folks the other day, and the net result was i got put on a "notify when ready" list. the indication was that the price would likely be in the $3-400 range, but until machine time was pinned down, they wouldn't know for sure.
Maybe I'm confused but why would they be this price? Other risers are around $100. What am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'm confused but why would they be this price? Other risers are around $100. What am I missing?
There really not risers.The Heli solution is to replace the top triple clamp with their own. It will have two mounts for ram balls and two mounts for the bars, both back from stock. It will not raise the bars just put them back for easier reach. I'm not sure of the construction (cut from billet or cast) but I would guess that they would be cut from billet and that ain't cheap, and don't forget liability insurance etc..

Reading thru the Heli Update, it pretty much lays it all out with the mention of a redesigned top clamp. So you're looking at a whole new top clamp vs. simple 1" riser blocks. Just the 6061? for that piece alone, will be in the $100+ zone depending where you buy. Add to that all the cost of CNC machining into the piece.

It's easy to see that cost. For me I needed the bars pushed forward and rotated back at the same time. The TravelComfort was in that similar ballpark price range and worth every penny. Not all riser/setbacks are equal for I've tried them all. You gotta do what you gotta to be comfortable, otherwise it's just torture.

Replace the top clamp?...MMMM, would and '05 or '04 top clamp work on a '06?

Is there some reason one could not - instead of replacing the entire top clamp, just machine a set of regular 7/8 bar clamps that can bolt to the stock 06 bolts? This would seem to be the easiest way around Yamahas stupid design on the 06.

KM

[SIZE=12pt]UPDATE FROM Heli Bar August 04, 2006[/SIZE]

Tour Performance® HR Triple Clamp for 2006-2007 Yamaha FJR1300A/AE

“Super Bike Performance – Touring Bike Comfort™”

1. 38mm (1 ½”) rear offset handlebar mounts re-positions the handgrips and controls 1 ½” closer to the rider for greatly improved long distance riding. Stock height has been maintained for a comfortable yet sporty feel.

2. Greatly increased fork rigidity from thicker cross section design. Tighter steering stem- to - bore clearance, and dual 8mm fork tube pinch bolts.

3. Reduced vibrations felt in the hand grips.

4. All stock hydraulic lines, cables and control housing wire looms are retained and provide proper slack when bars are moved from full left to right stops.

5. Two threaded holes located behind the ignition switch are provided to mount one or two ram ball mounts. Additional design provisions have been engineered into the HR Triple Clamp design for future accessory mounting.

This is one of the most comprehensive and complete designs Heli Bars has ever offered. You can enjoy performance and comfort!

1 ½” Rear Offset Handlebar Mount

Sand-cast Finish

CNC Machined from Solid 6061 T6 Extrusion

Instructions with Photos and all Hardware Included

1 ½ hour installation time

[SIZE=12pt]Pictures on the Heli Bar Web Site Link Below[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Heli Bar[/SIZE]

Check It Out :clapping: :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]UPDATE FROM Heli Bar August 04, 2006[/SIZE]
Tour Performance® HR Triple Clamp for 2006-2007 Yamaha FJR1300A/AE

“Super Bike Performance – Touring Bike Comfort™”

1. 38mm (1 ½”) rear offset handlebar mounts re-positions the handgrips and controls 1 ½” closer to the rider for greatly improved long distance riding. Stock height has been maintained for a comfortable yet sporty feel.

2. Greatly increased fork rigidity from thicker cross section design. Tighter steering stem- to - bore clearance, and dual 8mm fork tube pinch bolts.

3. Reduced vibrations felt in the hand grips.

4. All stock hydraulic lines, cables and control housing wire looms are retained and provide proper slack when bars are moved from full left to right stops.

5. Two threaded holes located behind the ignition switch are provided to mount one or two ram ball mounts. Additional design provisions have been engineered into the HR Triple Clamp design for future accessory mounting.

This is one of the most comprehensive and complete designs Heli Bars has ever offered. You can enjoy performance and comfort!

1 ½” Rear Offset Handlebar Mount

Sand-cast Finish

CNC Machined from Solid 6061 T6 Extrusion

Instructions with Photos and all Hardware Included

1 ½ hour installation time

[SIZE=12pt]Pictures on the Heli Bar Web Site Link Below[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Heli Bar[/SIZE]

Check It Out :clapping: :yahoo:
Ordered mine today...will report results

AJ

We're all waiting for an evaluation. When do you expect delivery, AJ?

BAGGER

Ordered mine today...will report results

AJ

AJ,

It's great to hear we have a volunteer who will share his experience in installing the Heli Bars.

Thanks. :clapping:

I'd me more interested in the price. I've heard a rumour of $320 which sounds steep for bar risers - but good value for a new top yoke (as we call it in the UK).
It's not hard to change it as long as you have the tools.

Alan
says 329.00 -- whew -

they obviously think a LOT of those risers.

I'd me more interested in the price. I've heard a rumour of $320 which sounds steep for bar risers - but good value for a new top yoke (as we call it in the UK).

It's not hard to change it as long as you have the tools.

Alan
says 329.00 -- whew -

they obviously think a LOT of those risers.
Ummm they're not risers ! :rolleyes: :D

"1. 38mm (1 ½”) rear offset handlebar mounts re-positions the handgrips and controls 1 ½” closer to the rider for greatly improved long distance riding. Stock height has been maintained for a comfortable yet sporty feel"

Ordered mine last night. Looks like an easy install & since the stock "adjustable" bars are my only complaint, I think $329 is worth a bir of perfection in this world. I'll let ya know how it goes also.

We're all waiting for an evaluation. When do you expect delivery, AJ?

BAGGER
Should have received, installed, and tested them by next weekend per Heli

AJ
Thanks AJ.

Any chance you can take pix while sitting on the bike with the stock bars and then with the Heli Bars installed? A profile shot. To me, that's a good way to see how the seating position is changed. Thanks.