2006 FJR1300AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to wish the best of luck to all the beta testers of the new e-shift bikes. After all, it has only taken Yamaha, what, 3 years to address (hopefully) the ticking problem (problem?....what problem?). How many years have we had the simple technology of ohv engines in mass production? I would love to test ride one of the new machines but I will have to settle for the mag reviews and feedback of forum early adapters.

Okay I can see some of you obviously feel that technology, any technology, is to be blindly embraced no matter what and anyone who doesn’t must be a Quaker at heart.While you sit and ponder why Yamaha didn’t install power assisted fully linked brakes and get rid of that other pesky lever (after all, F1 cars only have one brake pedal, why would a motorcycle need more) and how to retro-fit the Gold Wing air bag onto your FJRs (its new technology so it must be a good thing) I’ll rant on why I think the E-Shift is a bad idea on an FJR.

Yes I would like it on my bike if 1) I were #2 in the AMA Super Bike series and trying to catch Matt M. or 2) I were a squid and thought that the size of my penis depended on my speed up the Angeles Crest Hwy.

I have hit oil on the road and only stayed up while my bike slid sideways is because I stood my bike up, aimed straight ahead (at the curb) and pulled in the clutch until I felt the tires bite again (My Son-In-Law lost control of his AWD Toyota following me).

I have had other situations where I hit slippery stuff and I think I may have fallen if I didn’t pull in the clutch.

I have had to stop at red lights on slippery steel plates in the rain and I trust my assessment of the traction in that situation better than a computer that may think I’m starting from a dry patch of asphalt.

I read SkooterG’s assessment that if you could ever ride on anything slippery you should be on a dual-sport, Due to road construction we have steel plates covered in dirt and mud in front of my work…… SkooterG…….. Should I sell my FJR or quit my job?

I see no advantage to having this system on a sport touring bike and lots of disadvantages.

I won’t even go into the “More things to go wrong aspect” because we all know that no racer (with a team of mechanics ready to completely tear apart his bike before every race) has ever had a problem with his electric shifter and there is no possibility of anyone ever getting stuck in the middle of nowhere at “O-Dark –Thirty” on a touring bike.

Lastly let me postulate this scenario;

Owner to Salesman: We have those FJR’s on the floor we bought under the mechanic’s names. You need to sell them NOW!

Salesman to Customer walking in the door: May I help you?

Customer: No thanks, just looking.

Salesman: We have financing.

Customer: Oh, money’s not a problem, I would love to have a bike but I can’t ride. I tried once on a friend’s bike and I crashed it. I can’t seem to get the hang of the clutch or brakes!

Salesman: Really... And money’s not a problem? … I have the perfect bike for you, These FJR’s have no clutch and the brakes are Anti-Lock and linked!

So while his widow and the little old lady he hit are busy forming NAMS (Nags Against Murder Scooters) and you are dreaming of the new 07’ FJR (Automatic Gyroscopic Balance and Two Button Controls, Just push green to go and red to stop) I’ll be struggling along having to exert all that mental strain using my hand and foot at the same time and physical force pulling in my clutch lever.

This was just a few things that went through my mind when I read the announcement.

Of course I could be wrong and this could be the best thing since tubeless tires (there is a first time for every thing) but I’ve seen engineers screw up before and I’m not going to blindly embrace this new gadget.
Oh brother! <_<

Well said Silverbullet!